Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Link Ferries

Options
  • 09-04-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Half price sales on cabins. Never travelled with them but seem to be about a hundred cheaper for 2adults and an infant than irish ferries in July and August to go to France. http://www.celticlinkferries.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

Have travelled with both. If there was only 100 in the difference I would pay the extra for Irish Ferries, particularly if you are travelling with kids.

The ship is fine, but its basic, one place to eat, a bar, very little room for kids.

Also, many people get freaked driving on to the boat, you have to drive up a very steep incline, make sure you can do
    a hill start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bubonic wrote: »
    Have travelled with both. If there was only 100 in the difference I would pay the extra for Irish Ferries, particularly if you are travelling with kids.

The ship is fine, but its basic, one place to eat, a bar, very little room for kids.

Also, many people get freaked driving on to the boat, you have to drive up a very steep incline, make sure you can do
    a hill start.

Ah here .. how much better can it be,
    We went on the Rosslare - Roscoff sailing and the (Irish Ferries) Ferry was ancient, glow in the dark sign next to the bed , everything was vibrating.

Every single ferry i've been on that sailed from UK <-> Ireland and Ireland <-> France was very tired looking and old.

Every Ferry i've been on from NL <-> UK and France <-> UK (P&O/DFDS) has been new and had great facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

id have to agree with Keithclancy the irish ferries isn't much better. a very old ship and not the most comfortable to be on for that duration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

I've travelled Rosslare to Cherbourg on Both Cletic Link and Irish Ferries a few times (2 x celtic, 2 x Irish ferries). Both times I found Celtic Link a lot better with nicer staff. Given the price difference I would definitely choose Celtic Link over Irish Ferries. I have not traveled on Brittany Ferries from Cork to Roscoff but from what I've heard from a few people it's leagues ahead of Irish Ferries in terms of service and quality but you do pay for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

Ah here .. how much better can it be,
    We went on the Rosslare - Roscoff sailing and the (Irish Ferries) Ferry was ancient, glow in the dark sign next to the bed , everything was vibrating.

Every single ferry i've been on that sailed from UK <-> Ireland and Ireland <-> France was very tired looking and old.

Every Ferry i've been on from NL <-> UK and France <-> UK (P&O/DFDS) has been new and had great facilities.

Notice I said, if you are travelling with kids.

I went with Celtic link with two toddlers. There are only so many laps of the ship you can do. Irish ferries has more places to eat, more room, bigger (although still very small) play area. They brought a magic show on board for the kids. There are about 5 places to eat, which open longer hours than Celtic link. They have a bigger shop which stocks junk to entertain kids.

As the ferry crossing is two days of a holiday, 100 extra is worth it.

If I was on my own or just with your partner, I would happily save the money and sit in the bar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement