Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyway to do medicine in Limerick, but in Limerick only?

Options
  • 09-04-2013 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I'm in sixth year at the moment and I have always had an interest in studying medicine. Sadly it seems like that's not going to be an option for me, because the money isn't there for me to go NUI, UCC or anywhere outside of Limerick that offers an undergraduate course. I know that UL offers a post-graduate course. Is there any undergraduate course I can do in Limerick which will allow me to qualify for the post-graduate course in Limerick? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

AFAIK there are no requirements that you've done a specific course before applying for this post-grad. You will have to do the GAMSAT though which is basically a post grad version of the HPAT. It would definitely be beneficial to do your under-grad in something health related as this knowledge would come in handy but as I said it's not an entry requirement. Maybe something like nursing or physio?

Just as a side note, I know someone in the course at the moment who did chemistry for under-grad and had never done biology in school so it's also very possible to get in and do well without having ever done biology or anything health related beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

The cost of doing Grad Med (€13k per year) would be far in excess of accommodation costs in UCC etc. as an undergrad. The best solution would be to get a part-time job to pay your way through college like most people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

gruffler91 wrote: »
    AFAIK there are no requirements that you've done a specific course before applying for this post-grad. You will have to do the GAMSAT though which is basically a post grad version of the HPAT. It would definitely be beneficial to do your under-grad in something health related as this knowledge would come in handy but as I said it's not an entry requirement. Maybe something like nursing or physio?

Just as a side note, I know someone in the course at the moment who did chemistry for under-grad and had never done biology in school so it's also very possible to get in and do well without having ever done biology or anything health related beforehand.
    So let's just say for the sake of argument I get 400 points in the Leaving Cert and decide to do business. Would I still be eligible for grad medicine after I complete the undergraduate programme, despite the fact that my points total in the leaving cert would be inadequate for undergraduate medicine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

The cost of doing Grad Med (€13k per year) would be far in excess of accommodation costs in UCC etc. as an undergrad. The best solution would be to get a part-time job to pay your way through college like most people do.

Oh really? I never knew it would be that expensive. But wouldn't a post-grad course in UCC or wherever cost the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭MacBoogerBalls

So let's just say for the sake of argument I get 400 points in the Leaving Cert and decide to do business. Would I still be eligible for grad medicine after I complete the undergraduate programme, despite the fact that my points total in the leaving cert would be inadequate for undergraduate medicine?
    Aye.
    URL="http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Faculties/Education_%26_Health_Sciences/Departments/Graduate_Entry_Medical_School/FUTURE_STUDENTS/How_to_apply"]QUOTE[/URL
    EU Applicants

EU Entry Requirements
    Candidates must hold a minimum 2.1 (second class honours, grade one) result in their first honours bachelor degree (NFQ Level 8).
    For candidates who meet this requirement, GAMSAT (Graduate Australian Medical Schools Admissions Test) will then be used as the sole instrument to select students for the programme.
    Graduates from any discipline may apply.
    [/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Oh really? I never knew it would be that expensive. But wouldn't a post-grad course in UCC or wherever cost the same?

It depends on the course. 13k would be the very high end for postgrad fees for a masters programme. EU course fees tend to range between 2k-12k per year. Non EU tend to be 8k-15k (my numbers are estimates)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Intel240787

The other half did GEMS, finished last year. He currently has debt of 125K, as he was unable to take on a part time job while studying for it.
    There is no requirement for the basic degree to be medically related, as admission is points/GAMSAT related.
    I would ask if you're absolutely sure that you can't do med school right now, as the alternative is quite (very) expensive. You won't be able to work, as the degree is a year shorter (it's not a master degree, it is a Bachelor of Medicine/Surgery). Also, funding (by way of a bank), is very low to non-existent with most banks pulling their student loans, so you need to look at the cost of doing the medicine first, or second - the costs are very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Intel240787

Also, you will be liable for full fees, and the contribution charge, and if you already have a basic degree - you won't be able to apply for the grant assistance.
    Really, look at your options! Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ellymay3

Hey there. I understand that you are reluctant to leave Limerick for whatever reason. However, the cost of post-grad medicine is realistically the cost of a house. This year fees are 14,915 Euro. I am 1st year Grad-med in UL, and have had to take out a bank loan with Ulster bank to pay for these. As of this year, the banks wont give maintenance loans (previously they paid 15k fees and 10k to live on), so anyone who is on the course is either being funded by parents or by their own savings. There are a small number of people who were eligible for a scholarship onto the programme which covers fees etc, but there are very few of these and you have to be on the course already (ie, paid first installment of fees) before you find out if you've been successful.
    If you are able to somehow leave Limerick and get onto an undergrad medical programme, the 5 years of living outside Limerick probably wont cost you as much as 8 years (undergrad and grad-med) fees and maintenance while living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ellymay3

ps. forgot to mention that there are such a wide variety of backgrounds in UL Graduate Entry Medice. We have nurses, physios, dentists to industrial chemists, accountants, fashion designers, politics and law graduates etc. As long as you get a 2.1 in your first degree, the GAMSAT is the ONLY thing that will determine whether or not you get a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

These costs aren't a secret. Check the college websites.

For example, UCD's is at http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/undergraduate2012.html

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and I was wondering if anybody could set up a new thread for UL GEM 2014? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Set one up yourself :) There's a lovely big 'New Thread' button at the top of the forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

Chimaera wrote: »
    Set one up yourself :) There's a lovely big 'New Thread' button at the top of the forum!

I don't think I have permission to set one up yet. That button doesn't appear on my screen at all. Maybe because this is my third post :P

Advertisement