Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ringing My Ulster Bank Branch

Options
  • 09-04-2013 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

I needed to contact my branch today to get them to check the area around the bank-link machine for a lodgement which I had posted in yesterday evening, and which would normally have been in my account before 10am this morning.

The problem is any time I rang my local branch number it rang a few times then automatically diverted to some call centre in Belfast where the staff were very helpful as always but just could not physically go and look for the lodgement envelope.

Why does Ulster Bank force my calls onto their call centre when I specifically ring my local branch? I was told it is to make things easier for customers and yes in some situations this will be the case but in my situation I needed to contact the branch and they were not available.

There is also an issue relating to the cost of the calls which get diverted to this call centre, if they divert my call to a number which is of no use to me where do I stand in getting reimbursed for those calls?

Thankfully a message was forwarded by a very helpful agent in the call centre to my branch and the lodgement envelope was found and processed but this was several hours late in my opinion and could easily have been sorted before lunch if the branch were taking calls from their customers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Banks have been doing this for years, with mixed amounts of success.

People complain about queues in branches. People calling branches tie up staff. Ergo, to free up staff in branches, they try to centralise the calls. A very large percentage of the calls arent branch specific.

So, no matter which option they choose, someone complains - so how do they win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

On the cost of the calls, you shouldn't be paying more than the original call cost. The divert is paid for by the person that initiates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Just to add that the telephony team email the branch your query with agreed time scales to resolve.

As for a refund on the call, unless you complaint you will not get a refund. Correct me if I am wrong but you would not get charged any extra for the diverted call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Banks have been doing this for years, with mixed amounts of success.

People complain about queues in branches. People calling branches tie up staff. Ergo, to free up staff in branches, they try to centralise the calls. A very large percentage of the calls arent branch specific.

So, no matter which option they choose, someone complains - so how do they win?
    I agree, and I have called the call centre before for some issues rather than tie up branch staff. It would be nice if there was an option of being forwarded to the call centre who may be able to help or staying on the line for staff from the branch.

On the cost of the calls, you shouldn't be paying more than the original call cost. The divert is paid for by the person that initiates it.

But if the call is branch specific or can only be dealt with by branch staff you have paid for a call which is no use to you when your original call is diverted.

• Advertisement

The issue was resolved by the call to the call centre, albeit by a somewhat roundabout route. I don't see the entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

foggy_lad wrote: »
    But if the call is branch specific or can only be dealt with by branch staff you have paid for a call which is no use to you when your original call is diverted.
    I think it's a case of six of one & half a dozen of the other - if you get through to a branch you could quite easily be told that the person that deals with your query isn't available & all they would do is take a message & get them to call you back anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It would be nice if there was an option of being forwarded to the call centre who may be able to help or staying on the line for staff from the branch

..except that no one would choose the former, and keep choosing the latter. This means the exercise becomes pointless.

For the record, the bizarre attitude banks have taken towards their customers, whereby the entire point seems to be to frustrate them into doing what they banks want, bug the shoite out of me. The queues in my AIB are out the door at this stage, because they replaced 2 of the windows with machines that (obviously) can't do what customers need them to do. I'm moving my business accounts because of it. But in this case, while frustrating I'm sure, looking for reimbursement for a situation where a problem was resolved is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Am with UB and have a direct line to the local branch (that does not get routed via NI Call Center). Asked for it and was given it. Lost number once and got it again.

• Advertisement

Am with UB and have a direct line to the local branch (that does not get routed via NI Call Center). Asked for it and was given it. Lost number once and got it again.
    I must ask for this number next time I'm in the branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

All branches still have these numbers. They are not for the public, so don't expect to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Most people, given the choice, would ring a branch over a call centre. Call centres take a few thousand calls a day. A branch receiving a tenth of that would be over run. So calls are centralised. The same functionality is there but people will complain. But there are two types of queries. General and Branch Specific.

1. General - Balance check, funds transfer, check a transaction etc etc

2. Branch specific - "I was talking to Mary and she said she'd ring me back", "I sent in a letter, did you get it?" etc etc.

Query 1 can be answered on the spot in a call centre. Query 2 can be sorted by the call centre agent ringing the branch and finding out or e-mailing the branch and having Mary call the customer back.

So when someone says "Yeah but, just for my query, there should be an option to talk to the branch"...... well.... they're not making much sense tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

2. Branch specific - "I was talking to Mary and she said she'd ring me back", "I sent in a letter, did you get it?" etc etc. Query 2 can be sorted by the call centre agent ringing the branch and finding out or e-mailing the branch and having Mary call the customer back.

You're right, Mary doesn't call back much! If at all. Maybe if I call twice/trice, then only when she knows I'm in the bathroom or in a lift with no signal. So I call Mary smile.png

Advertisement