Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace 14 yr old gas boiler?

Options
  • 09-04-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭

Our boiler (Vokera Myute 14se, installed 1999) has a blown the heat exchanger there is an issue with the safety valve. We have been quoted around e270 to replace. Should we repair it or replace the boiler?

If you recommend a replacement of the bolier:
    • What boiler would you recommend?
    • What price is reasonable for the boiler and installation?
    • What is involved with adding zones?
    • Can I get a control panel that can be controlled remotely (via smart phone)? Should this be added at the same time as boiler?

It would be great if someone could PM me with a recommended installer in Dublin 15.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

I'd repair for that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

b318isp wrote: »
    I'd repair for that kind of money.
    From reading this forum I think that the e270 figure is wrong - way too low. I expect something closer to e600.

An Airtricity rep was at the house this evening and will prepare a quote tomorrow morning. We are asking for 18kW boiler, 7 TRVs and 2 larger radiators (for 2 box rooms).

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

If you replacing the boiler you can't go far wrong with the new baxi megaflow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

daymobrew wrote: »
    From reading this forum I think that the e270 figure is wrong - way too low. I expect something closer to e600.

An Airtricity rep was at the house this evening and will prepare a quote tomorrow morning. We are asking for 18kW boiler, 7 TRVs and 2 larger radiators (for 2 box rooms).

You can get a grant for that : http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/homeowner/What_Grants_Are_Available/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

What boiler would you recommend?
    Ariston, Viessmann or Bosch. I would not be a lover of the Baxi.
    What price is reasonable for the boiler and installation?
    Most important is that a full mechanical Powerflush is carried before the installation of the new boiler. Rough costs would be €2,200 including flush & above boilers listed.
    What is involved with adding zones?

A lot will depend on your layout & what you can achieve. It maybe very easy with little disruption or very awkward with a lot of disruption. A site visit is the only way if telling.
    Can I get a control panel that can be controlled remotely (via smart phone)? Should this be added at the same time as boiler?

Lots on the market with very varying prices with some with on-going annual costs. If you are hell bent on getting it then it would be best to do it when installing the boiler.

• Advertisement
Advertisement