Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

did a broken water pump use a lot of electricty

Options
  • 09-04-2013 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Just trying to get to the bottom of a couple of huge electricity bills. If a boiler/heating circulation pump was broken and running 24 hours a day non stop would this jack up my esb bill? I had a bill of 280 for 71 days which is the biggest bill I ever had by about 100 euros.

Any advice welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

percy212 wrote: »
    Just trying to get to the bottom of a couple of huge electricity bills. If a boiler/heating circulation pump was broken and running 24 hours a day non stop would this jack up my esb bill? I had a bill of 280 for 71 days which is the biggest bill I ever had by about 100 euros.

Any advice welcome!

The circulating pump itself is unlikely to be the cause as they are very efficient and use only a light electrical load.
    What is more likely the cause of your big bill is the fact that your immersion heater, if you have one, is having the water it heats in the direct side of your hot water cylinder cooled by the water circulating through your indirect side [the water in your radiators]
    As a rough rule of thumb: if the immersion is on, the pump should be off!
    Have you noticed any problem heating water for baths or showers with your immersion recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I think you just explained it there CJ. I don't use the immersion at all typically but while the pump was 'broken' I did. Well I won't do that again :) Thanks for the info!

Advertisement