Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing Magnet's Technicolor TG703 Router

Options
  • 09-04-2013 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Trying to access my new router given to me by Magnet so I can open a few ports and turn the firewall off.
    It says on the bottom of the router and on the card that came with it that the default gateway (router admin as the card says) is 192.168.1.254 which works fine.
    However it is not written anywhere on the router, card or even box telling me what the username and password is so I have no way of accessing it.
    Tried the obvious login's and even left it blank but no luck.
    Called them up today but they basically said they can't give any route info down the phone.
    It has descriptions and guides how to access there routers on there site but the one I have seems to be missing from that list, I have a Thomson Technicolor TG703 if anyone else knows what the default pass and name is that would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Answering this because it's the number one hit on google. I just got the answer over the phone today.
    Username is "user"
    Password is "mygateway"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Does anyone have the TG703 "admin" password to access more advanced features, DMZ, port forwarding etc?

It seems the "user" login just has the basics.

There seems to be very little online about this router beyond this thread and the info page on the official website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

managed to get the pass out of them,
    they said there not suppose to give admin access to the router for but since we seem savvy enough they'll give it us.
    unfortunately each router has a unique pass so mine would be useless to anyone else so only advice i can give is to ring them up and make a big enough fuss and let them know that your well able to configure a router.

Might have to do that.

Is there even a way to change the WiFi password with the "user" login? Can't find it.

The admin login for this router from Magnet is:

user: admin
    pass: m4gn3tTG703

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Raja87

Hey guys, that's helpful stuff. I haven't much experience with configuring routers, any pointer on setting alt dns?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 turpe

Just FYI, in case someone is looking for it - the login for Techinicolor TG589 modem is:

user: admin
    pass: m4gn3tTG589

so i presume you can easily predict the password for other models

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Raja87 wrote: »
    Hey guys, that's helpful stuff. I haven't much experience with configuring routers, any pointer on setting alt dns?

Did you get anywhere with this, also looking to do this and cant find info on it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 peter4sks

Hey all,

Thanks for the passwords they work great. However if you're trying to set up port forwarding rules etc.... i'd just buy another router as these routers are terrible. The Nat rules "Game and application sharing" just don't seem to work. I've tried even turning the firewall off and the rules just don't seem to do anything.

So if you're having trouble allowing an application through with nat rules, Even if you scan the ports and they appear open.
    They just might not work

#BagOf****e

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Is anyone still using this Technicolor ADSL modems (for example TG703)? Do you get OPEN ssid0 wifi after disabling wifi in the modem settings (see previous posts how to access admin settings)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

I want to write up my experience with this router to prevent someone else going through the same bulls**t.

Short story:
    Don't use this piece of crap.Wired devices passing through a switch will have barely working internet (sometimes). Also, port forwarding is an absolute pain or just won't work.

Long story:

I had a Zyxel P660HN-T1A router for a few years with Magnet and it worked fine for the most part with the odd restart needed when we lost internet. A few months ago it started giving more problems than usual so I requested a new router from Magnet and they sent us the Technicolor TG703.

Immediately I began having problems with my wired desktop that I had never seen before when using the old Zyxel modem. Websites would fail to load and the ping was over 300ms regularly. Wiring setup is below:
    TG703 Modem --> Gbit Netgear switch --> Desktop computer
    Problems would come and go seemingly randomly. Factory resets and restarts sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. The modem would sometimes work fine for a week and then go haywire again for a few days.
    • Plugging a laptop into the same network cable that supplied the desktop showed the same problem.
    • Wiring the laptop straight to the modem showed no problems.
    • Wifi also worked fine for all devices.
    • Going back to the Zyxel router showed no problems whether I was wired straight into it or passing through the Gbit switch

Eventually I did a factory reset of the old Zyxel Router, got my DSL login details from an engineer at Magnet and I seem to be back with a reliable wired and wireless network finally!

In Summary:
    This router does not like to work with devices behind a simple switch!!!!!!!!
    It's an unreliable piece of crap even compared with other cheap modems.
    Demand a Zyxel Modem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

nathan184. What makes me wonder is fact that companies in Ireland pay loads for labour and use crap hardware worth few euro.

Talking about Technicolor gears - first I got was faulty and straight after I mentioned this to Magnet people they sent me second one. They never bothered to check it out - in fact they never ask to send it back. Seems like they know it is not worth to bother...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

anyone managed to set up bridge mode in this router???

Advertisement