Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this course worth doing?

Options
  • 09-04-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi All,

I am a Mechanical Engineering graduate who has worked in AP/AR for the past 3 years in Australia (2 years as a team leader, small team). Im returning home in a few weeks (personal reasons) and will be looking to get a formal qualification in Accounting and Finance. I want to do either the 1 year P/T diploma on offer in DBS, or the foundation ACCA course, after which I want to go on and take the full ACCA exams. As these courses dont start until September, I was considering doing this distance learning Finance Cert in the meantime - http://www.theopencollege.com/fetac-level-6-certificate-in-finance.html so as to have a solid base in understanding the technical terms, practices etc. It also only takes 3 months apparently, which fits in nicely with the timeframe.

As my degree was not in this sector, I want to give myself every chance of passing any future exams. But my question is, given that it is only a FETAC level 6 cert, should I bother with this course?

An accountant friend has suggested I just read "Accountancy for Dummies" or some other introductory type book before September. Should I just do this and save the 250 euros?

I will also be looking to get an AP/AR role while stuying P/T from September, and some companies are looking for people with some form of Business/Finance qualification. Would this cert (coupled with my experience and the fact that im looking to get qualified) help my chances?

Many thanks for reading and I appreciate any responses.

Cheers
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Kaka86

Hi Steve,

I did a degree in Business and Accounting a few years back. I never pursued the accounting any further. I recently did I 5 week - 1 evening a week course ran by the local county enterprise board €40 called Book-keeping for Small Businesses. What it does is go through the accounting process from the very beginning. The course is design for Business Owner interested in doing their own books/accounts as much as possible before handing over to an accountant. Anyway I found this short course amazing it was a (cheap) refresher which I badly needed. I would recommend something like this to anyone trying to get a basic understanding for accounting either. I would rate a course on its FETAC level if you have a greater goal in mind. A cheap basic course, unless you have the money to spend, is definitely the way to go.

I think getting work in accounting areas is difficult unless you can get in on some of the graduate schemes which larger companies offer. ACCA have a list on their ACCAireland website of the different companies in Ireland.

Best of luck with the studies!

Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭saggart26

Stevie888 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am a Mechanical Engineering graduate who has worked in AP/AR for the past 3 years in Australia (2 years as a team leader, small team). Im returning home in a few weeks (personal reasons) and will be looking to get a formal qualification in Accounting and Finance. I want to do either the 1 year P/T diploma on offer in DBS, or the foundation ACCA course, after which I want to go on and take the full ACCA exams. As these courses dont start until September, I was considering doing this distance learning Finance Cert in the meantime - http://www.theopencollege.com/fetac-level-6-certificate-in-finance.html so as to have a solid base in understanding the technical terms, practices etc. It also only takes 3 months apparently, which fits in nicely with the timeframe.

As my degree was not in this sector, I want to give myself every chance of passing any future exams. But my question is, given that it is only a FETAC level 6 cert, should I bother with this course?

An accountant friend has suggested I just read "Accountancy for Dummies" or some other introductory type book before September. Should I just do this and save the 250 euros?

I will also be looking to get an AP/AR role while stuying P/T from September, and some companies are looking for people with some form of Business/Finance qualification. Would this cert (coupled with my experience and the fact that im looking to get qualified) help my chances?

Many thanks for reading and I appreciate any responses.

Cheers
    Steve

Hey,

I would advise you to start with the three ACCA foundation level exams F1-3. They're computer based and i think ACCA run the exams 4 times a year. I wouldnt bother spending money on these exams. A good online resource is opentuition.co.uk. They have subject notes/video tutorials/exam tips/studdy buddies etc which should help you in your prep work. The exams are basic enough and with your current experience, you shouldnt have a problem. Adverts.ie for second hand material is also handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Stevie888

Thanks for the guys. saggart26, I am registering with the ACCA and intend on attending lectures in the evening for F1 - F3 from July - Dec and taking the exams online soon after. I am also going to take the additional 2 technicians exams (and all other introductory papers relevent to the CAT qualification) and so hope to be fully CAT qualified by latest Jan '14, about 9 months from now.
    I also hope to do 3 more foundation exams in Jun '14 and the remaining 3 in Dec '14. I will also be attending lectures for all subjects. Is all this perhaps pushing it a bit too much timewise? Or with the right lectures and study, is this do-able in this time frame?

Advertisement