Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Always thought this would be a great idea (Retro Achievements)

Options
  • 09-04-2013 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

http://www.retroachievements.org/

I love achievements. Always thought it would be brilliant if emulators could handle them somehow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Never got the appeal of achievements or trophies. Its reached stupid levels too, some games you earn an achievement after the intro is finished

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Never got the achievement thing either, figured I was, as Retr0 puts it, too old and grey :(

But, lets have some suggestions for retroachievements!

You've got your Nes to work with a cart without blowing on it!- 100 retropoints!
    You untangled your mains adapters!- 50 retropoints!
    You got DEATH TANK!!!!! working on your Saturn!- 1000 retropoints!

Any more suggestions?

100,000 points in donkey kong 10000 retro points.i have this one........

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

urbanledge wrote: »
    100,000 points in donkey kong 10000 retro points.i have this one........

100,000 points in DK while sporting a Billy Mitchell mullet - 20,000 retro points. :D

I have the beard and long hair so I could pull it off ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Never got the achievement thing either, figured I was, as Retr0 puts it, too old and grey :(

But, lets have some suggestions for retroachievements!

You've got your Nes to work with a cart without blowing on it!- 100 retropoints!
    You untangled your mains adapters!- 50 retropoints!
    You got DEATH TANK!!!!! working on your Saturn!- 1000 retropoints!

Any more suggestions?

Finding something good on the CD-i - 1,000,000,000 points

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finding something good on the CD-i - 1,000,000,000 points

Problem there is "something good" is subjective, so Retr0 might claim the points because he feels Zelda on the CDi is an underrated gem, which reminds me....

Thinking Zelda on the CDi is an underrated gem -1,000,000,000 retropoints!

Some more retropoints achievements,

Listen to Sparks when he's had a load of beer and he gives you one of his anecdotes about a time he was playing Boulder Dash- 100 retropoints!

Sneak a Steel Battalion controller past Retr0's Mum- 5,000 retropoints!

Have the whole collection RGB'd to the max- 10,000 retropoints!

I love my LCD, what's this CRT business?- -100,000,000 retropoints!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

brianon wrote: »
    http://www.retroachievements.org/

I love achievements. Always thought it would be brilliant if emulators could handle them somehow.

This is the wrong place for this... you should have this moved to the main Games forum, you might find more support there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

getting to the top of Ghost Hall Building in Shenmue 2 at the first attempt - 1,000,000 retropoints!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

urbanledge wrote: »
    I have the beard and long hair so I could pull it off ;)

GTFO! I'm the only beardy weirdy in this village :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

This is the wrong place for this... you should have this moved to the main Games forum, you might find more support there.

Nah. Right place just too many pure retro heads here ;)

I stand by my initial post :)

I like (good) achievements. Pacman on XBLA had some basic ones and one or two tricky ones. Kept my interest up and eventually I got hooked on the game.

I hate grinding achievements or those stupid easy ones. Proper/thoughtfully placed achievements can't but enhance a gameplay experience. Certainly can't have any negative impact. Thousands of MAME games. I'm sure if they all had achievements I'd play a few more of them.

Advertisement