Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sumatran rhino tracks found in Borneo

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Great news but as you say, there's definitely a strong case to be made for keeping this sort of thing quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

I think they should have at least waited until they saw a rhino themselves or had some kind of security plan before they announced it...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

This should be kept quiet in fairness. It is also extremely important that the foot prints are undisturbed as these are thought to play a part in communication between the rhinos (as well as foliage that the animal twists into shape).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Hollzy wrote: »
    I think they should have at least waited until they saw a rhino themselves or had some kind of security plan before they announced it...

Yes and a recent sad example: http://wwf.panda.org/?202074/Inadequate-protection-causes-Javan-rhino-extinction-in-Vietnam

That's at least 3 Rhino subspecies now declared extinct or functionally extinct(as in the case of the Northern White) in the past 10 years alone:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Wouldn´t it be nice if this news were intended to send rhino hunters to Borneo where in reality are none, so the Sumatran ones can have a moment of peace?

One can dream :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

This is definitely a story I'll be keeping an eye on but at the same time, I think the less we hear about it the better.

Advertisement