Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy German Newspapers in Dublin

Options
  • 09-04-2013 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Just been searching this last few days in Dublin for German language newspapers. Easons does not seem to have a single German paper and the man who sells papers on O'Connell Street only has Frankfurter Allgemeine which is a bit overcomplicated for me. Its like the German financial times.

I know that there is plenty of free online newspapers available but I want a written copy of one and would appreciate any other suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

sob1467 wrote: »
    Just been searching this last few days in Dublin for German language newspapers. Easons does not seem to have a single German paper and the man who sells papers on O'Connell Street only has Frankfurter Allgemeine which is a bit overcomplicated for me. Its like the German financial times.

I know that there is plenty of free online newspapers available but I want a written copy of one and would appreciate any other suggestions.

Did you try one of the shops at the Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭sob1467

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Did you try one of the shops at the Airport?

No but that is a good shout. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Students are always telling me that they read it to know how German is meant to be used :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Pop into Easons and check for Spiegel or Stern, you'll find them in either the foreign glossy magazine or current affairs sections.

Alternatively you could pop into the Goethe Institute library and read the newspapers there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The main Easons store on O'Connell Street has a wide range of international papers.

They seem to only have them in their really big / older stores like O'Connell St in Dublin or Patrick's St in Cork. The suburban shopping mall versions don't carry them.

Ask Easons for advice to they may have them orderable!

---

Other alternative is subscribe to their electronic editions?
    A lot are available online or through various apps etc.

Some of those publications do educational bulk discounts too. So, it might be worth contacting them?

• Advertisement

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Pop into Easons and check for Spiegel or Stern, you'll find them in either the foreign glossy magazine or current affairs sections.

Alternatively you could pop into the Goethe Institute library and read the newspapers there.

I would not recommend 'Spiegel' for starters, because it is not an easy read. 'Stern' should be a bit easier though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Would not read them online. Generally international papers are about 4-5 days old when they reach ireland.

The ARD youtube channel is really good for news but the Bavarian section is extremely dull. They have had about 4 news reports on water saving in the last 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I would not recommend 'Spiegel' for starters, because it is not an easy read. 'Stern' should be a bit easier though ;)

Always found it amusing in Germany that I could never find Titanic, reason being that the newsagents generally had it next to the serious current affairs magazines. Depending on your humour it's a great magazine for learning German!
    :D

Another decent magazine to learn German would be this one here, 11 Freunde, highly recommended for football supporters...but nobody seems to have it in Dublin :confused:

http://www.11freunde.de

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

You will always find one at Reads on Nassau St. right in front of the counter nxt to the crisps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Easons in Patrick's Street in Cork had:

Die Zeit
    Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
    Die Welt
    and Bild Magazine.

It seemed to have a pretty decent selection of French papers and magazines too (bigger than other language selections) as well as Italian, Spanish, and quite a few others.

Quite a decent international news section tbh.

Advertisement