Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why doesn't the water pump start?

Options
  • 08-04-2013 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I have a Grundfos High Head Circul Pump Model UPS 25-50. When I plug it in, it doesn't start (stand alone on the work bench - not connected to any plumbing - no water involved!!). Does such a pump have a pressure switch? The wiring looks OK and the spindle turns freely by hand so it's not binding. The capacitor looks OK - it shows a reading on a meter (I think). Any suggestions appreciated please.
    Ger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

gerdalt wrote: »
    I have a Grundfos High Head Circul Pump Model UPS 25-50. When I plug it in, it doesn't start (stand alone on the work bench - not connected to any plumbing - no water involved!!). Does such a pump have a pressure switch? The wiring looks OK and the spindle turns freely by hand so it's not binding. The capacitor looks OK - it shows a reading on a meter (I think). Any suggestions appreciated please.
    Ger.

The pump doesn't have a pressure switch its a basic set up capacitor and motor so if you testing the capacitor and your getting the right reading for the capacitor then it has to be the motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Ger.

What way are you reading the capacitor on your meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭gerdalt

Thank you for those suggestions and information about the pump.
    I checked the capacitor on a digital voltmeter - it read 1.5mF against a 2mF rating so not likely the problem.
    Now listen up:
    I am an expert in electronics and things electrical - I thought.
    So I am about to bin the pump when as a very last resort I decide to check the fuse in the plug. Yes, I said the fuse.
    The embarrassment of it all. :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

The pump is working just fine.

Apologies for wasting your time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Thank you for those suggestions and information about the pump.
    I checked the capacitor on a digital voltmeter - it read 1.5mF against a 2mF rating so not likely the problem.
    Now listen up:
    I am an expert in electronics and things electrical - I thought.
    So I am about to bin the pump when as a very last resort I decide to check the fuse in the plug. Yes, I said the fuse.
    The embarrassment of it all. :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

The pump is working just fine.

Apologies for wasting your time. :)

Sometimes it's the simplest things!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Do feel so bad, I had a call out to one that just needed to be switched on at the switched spur. (ok, the spur was out of sight behind the cylinder, but still...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement