Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navy Cadets

Options
  • 08-04-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi there I have been thinking of joining the cadets for a long time now but I am still not sure about it. My main fear is that I will qualify, reach say the rank of lieutenant and not progress any further along the career ladder. I would like to eventually become captain. Can anyone share any experience they have or knowledge of how hard progression is in the ranks of the irish navy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Everyone who passes through the doors of the Naval Cadet college has the potential to become Commodore.
    Back in 1982 I read an article about a young Sub Lieutenant from Mayo who had just finished his training overseas aboard HMS Intrepid, and was now gunnery officer aboard an OPV. Years later this man was in receipt of a DSM for his part in the capture of a large consignment of narcotics aboard the yacht "Brime" while commanding officer of L.E. Orla. Later on, as Commander he was captain of the naval Vessel Eithne, taking it to South america, the first time for an Irish Naval Vessel.

He is currently Flag officer Commanding the naval service, and many say he isn't finished yet.

The only thing that stops people reaching their goal is their own will, or family priorities. If you make lieutenant, and are good enough, you will get command of a ship. Normal routine is 2 years per appointment, rotating between shore and sea.

Unless you are an engineering officer, of course. Their career path is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Don't close your mind to the idea of a career in the merchant navy. Or is the Naval service what you have your heart set on?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 SK101

I'll tell you where I'm coming from I suppose to make things a bit clearer. I graduated in 2011 with a BSc Physics from UCC and then graduated from NMCI in 2012 with a MSc Medical Physics. Completing the NMCI Nautical Science course has always been on my mind as I have been on the water ever since I can remember. I mostly sailing competitively, at both national and international level and have coached schools teams to win the national championships in Ireland too. During college I spent some time as the president of the Irish University Sailing Association also. I spent almost all of my summers instructing sailing and I have completed my yachtmaster shore-based course (all the nav stuff).

Now I am through to the second and final round of a Grad Programme with a company called Accenture in Dublin to do Technology Consulting.

My main problem is I'm not really sure where I am going but I do keep getting back to work on the sea. I was talking to two friends of mine who are in the merchant navy, one of whom suggested the navy cadets and also they suggest marine surveying which seems like something I would also like to get into but it seems you need some sea faring experience for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I came from a sailing background too, that is what got me into my career in the Merchant Navy, it was that or sound engineering!! I really enjoyed my time at sea, but I met my wife and I never wanted to raise a family when I was away for over half the year. I really do recommend a life at sea though, it is a challenging career, but full of fun too, interesting and teaches you some great life skills. If I had to do it all over again, I would change nothing.

On the Marine surveyor thing, If you want to do it I would possibly choose engine rather than deck if you want to do it commercially. Lots of the surveyor guys I have come across were ex-Chief engineers, that’s not to say all of them are, I could not say really. Leisure craft surveying would be a different standard and you could possibly do this without necessarily choosing engine over deck. I think Tabnabs or Goldie would probably be able to clarify that one.

Choosing engine over deck does open up options a bit more if you do want to hit the beach in 10/15 years. I work in heavy industry at the moment and many of the factory facility managers and engineers have worked with are ex-marine engineers.

Good luck with what you choose, there are loads of guys over on the Maritime forum that are currently at sea or on the beach like me. You should drop in there if you have not already done so for advice.

Advertisement