Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choose Masters or PDE???

Options
  • 08-04-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey, would really love if somebody, anybody, could help me with my dilemma! :confused:
    I am lucky enough to have been offered a Masters in Nui Galway in Gender, Globalization and Human rights and I have also been offered the PDE in NUIG. I have a degree in Geography and Sociology and Political Studies so I thought I'd apply for the PDE and go on to do teaching. Teaching was always on my mind so i thought it was a good enough choice. However, over the last while I've been a bit unsure about whether to do the PDE or not. That's where my dilemma begins. I feel like I would have a real interest in this Masters, I really enjoyed Sociology and the modules I chose would connect well with the Masters. I just don't know if I'm going to get a job out of it at the end of it all. Do I do the PDE, a bit unsure about it, and hopefully come out with a teaching degree? Or do I do the Masters, enjoy it, but still end up with no job and have to do more courses.

I don't know if this problem will sound silly to some people, I just don't want to waste my time and money on something that at the end of it all I won't have career success and enjoyment with it!

Any advice or info would be great!!
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 groovy88

It may sound silly but what else can you do this your subjects? Teaching jobs appear to be few and far between unless you have the right subject combination. Just something to have in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭airneal

Hi McMenny,

Well I did a Masters and Phd in applied life sciences. I also applied to do the PDE in Galway this year, and have accepted it this time. I applied to do the PDE in the 2010/11 season but I was completing my PhD at the same time and pulled out of the PDE after 1 week, because I did'nt have the time and I was well disillusioned with the way things were going. After completing my Phd, and having sent numerous CV applications around and attending interviews, UK and abroad etc, I got no work out of it. I have come to the conclusion that while the qualifications that I have are good, I need a proper skill, such as teaching, because I need to make my qualifications work. Where ever that may bring me, I don't know.

At the end of the day, do what you are interested in. You can always do teaching. Hope this helps in some way!! Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 McMenny

airneal wrote: »
    Hi McMenny,

Well I did a Masters and Phd in applied life sciences. I also applied to do the PDE in Galway this year, and have accepted it this time. I applied to do the PDE in the 2010/11 season but I was completing my PhD at the same time and pulled out of the PDE after 1 week, because I did'nt have the time and I was well disillusioned with the way things were going. After completing my Phd, and having sent numerous CV applications around and attending interviews, UK and abroad etc, I got no work out of it. I have come to the conclusion that while the qualifications that I have are good, I need a proper skill, such as teaching, because I need to make my qualifications work. Where ever that may bring me, I don't know.

At the end of the day, do what you are interested in. You can always do teaching. Hope this helps in some way!! Good luck!!

Thanks for your reply! Really appreciate your advice. I think that I'm going to go ahead and do the PDE. With my Arts degree it stresses me out to know that I'm not particularly qualified to do anything, and I feel the Masters might lead me down the same track or else down a path of unpaid internships and that just doesn't seem appealing during the times that are in it! I know teaching jobs are scarce at the minute but at least I will have a proper qualification and skills so I know where I can look for a job at least, even if its not in Ireland! I shall see you in Galway! :)

Up Donegal!!

00066c49-960.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement