Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My sister has not prepared a document for her French Oral, help please

Options
  • 08-04-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

My sister's French Oral is next Monday. She has not prepared a document but can have one prepared to learn off by Wednesday. Is this a good idea or would it be better to just not do the document, would she be setting herself up for failure? Will it actually be any help to have a document if she has left it this late? She hasn;t prepared herself for the oral at all, so she will have to learn off everything else this week too. My mother is adamant that dpoing the document is the smartest option as that will take up 5 mins of the oral. I am hesitant on this as I know from experience that you have to know it inside out and students will have prepared and learned theirs ages ago. What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

In my opinion it certainly would be a good idea if she had enough time to do one. She certainly shouldn't be confining all her study to the document now as it would just ruin her conversational French but surely she could do a document on her favourite band/sportsperson etc. as it'd be something she'd know about after doing conversational oral work already

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Thanks for the great advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

I would do a document with a series of photos and learn the vocab in that order. The brain remembers things in a logical progression better than loads of random bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

The objective of an oral exam is to see if the student understand what is being asked of him/her and to be able to reply, as best as he/she can in that language so I think Mammy is right on this one. Allez, prends le risque.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Flowergirl4

I never did one and neither did any of my friends. TBH I think she's gonna waste her time stressing learning possible answers to the document. All it'll mean is that'll she'll be asked one or less topics in the oral but will still have to learn them as she won't know what it's coming up sooooo basically it's extra work and not going to make her do any better IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

seeing as she has little time left and its between learning the document or spending that time on more conversation , i would do the document at least she could know that very well for the 5 mins then whatever study time she has left focus on the conversation part and do as much as she can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

My sister's French Oral is next Monday. She has not prepared a document but can have one prepared to learn off by Wednesday. Is this a good idea or would it be better to just not do the document, would she be setting herself up for failure? Will it actually be any help to have a document if she has left it this late? She hasn;t prepared herself for the oral at all, so she will have to learn off everything else this week too. My mother is adamant that dpoing the document is the smartest option as that will take up 5 mins of the oral. I am hesitant on this as I know from experience that you have to know it inside out and students will have prepared and learned theirs ages ago. What do people think?

If she was to do a document at this stage - she could use a family photo on holiday - basic enough - where she was / who she was with / how long they stayed / where they stayed etc. This would be the easiest option as she will already have prepared 'Ma Famille'. Could also be good for tenses - past tense for the holiday and future - will you be going back to wherever it is? Etc. Not a whole lot to learn off. She should have worked on this over the Easter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

I'd take or leave the document to be honest, when I did my oral last year it only took up 2 minutes at most.
    Some examiners tend to avoid it as they know you've just prepared everything

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PhosphoricAcid

Anyone gave any recommendations on what your document can be? I know that 2D objects or something like that are outlawed. Any chance someone has notes on a document they've chosen from this year or any other year that they'd like to share. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Anyone gave any recommendations on what your document can be? I know that 2D objects or something like that are outlawed. Any chance someone has notes on a document they've chosen from this year or any other year that they'd like to share. Thanks in advance.

No offence but it sounds like you haven't prepared one , it is no use trying to take someone elses notes on their document, just don't do a document! I think it is too late ,you don't need one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I had no document and I got an A in the oral from what I could gather. Wouldn't stress about it now and just focus on having a natural conversation instead.

Advertisement