Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible.?

Options
  • 08-04-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I wonder if someone can give me some advise please. My fifth year son was diagnosed with quite severe dyslexia last week. He is currently doing 7subject for LC but now can have exemption in rish and French. That leaves him with 5

Maths O
    Business H
    English H but maybe O!
    Home ec H
    Geog H

Is it possible to take on two new subject in the final year and if so do any of them overlap with the above subjects. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

He can score with his top 6 subjects.

Was he failing french/Irish?

Would it be possible to keep one of these to bulk up his points?

Apart from that, does he have a head for Business - Could he take on Business studies?

I'd certaintly advise the taking on of one extra subject at most if he drops both french and Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

Yes, he was failing the languages badly.... That's what triggered the need for a educational assessment,

Irish wasn't too bad but the French was desperate .... 8% in last exam. He could possibly o the lower level in Irish due to the fact his oral not too bad and that's 40% of the exam

JC43 wrote: »
    Yes, he was failing the languages badly.... That's what triggered the need for a educational assessment,

Irish wasn't too bad but the French was desperate .... 8% in last exam. He could possibly o the lower level in Irish due to the fact his oral not too bad and that's 40% of the exam

French is out then. A result in pass Irish is better than no result.

So, it's pass Irish Vs another subject. What does your son think?

He seems like a bright kid, taking quite a number of H subjects.

Sorry :o Just noticed he already does business

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What does he want to do after LC?

Pass Irish might be an option worth thinking about if he doesn't have a set against it (if he does, he's probably best just to look for another option tbh).

There is such a strong emphasis on the oral in the marking allocation these days that with a bit of extra help and a bit of work he might still do quite well in it ... and that's why I say a lot depends on his own feelings about it, because if he really doesn't want to do Irish, he's not going to put in that work and he'd probably be better off with a subject he likes or is at least neutral towards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

Economics is a short course that is manageable in a year and sits well between Business and Geography. It also has a lot of bullet style answers with diagrams/graphs that might suit him (no long essays).

Does he play a musical instrument ? the Music exam had a 50% practical element ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

Taking on a new subject now would be a serious undertaking. It would be difficult, but possible.

Science subjects would be possible but still quite stressful.

I don't do the subject but maybe Economics would have some overlap with Business Studies and Geography.

DCG has no written exam as such; students do a project worth 40% and the terminal exam consists entirely of drawings. This would be ideal for a student with dyslexia, but only if the student did Tech Graph for the Junior Cert. This subject is skill-based as much as knowledge-based, previous experience is vital.

Practical subjects such as Construction or Engineering have a reduced emphasis on theory, (less pressure on written exam), and could be more manageable for a student with dyslexia IF they did the equivalent subject at Junior Cert Level. Although possible, taking on a practical subject would be quite difficult without previous experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

DCG has no written exam as such; students do a project worth 40% and the terminal exam consists entirely of drawings. This would be ideal for a student with dyslexia, but only if the student did Tech Graph for the Junior Cert. This subject is skill-based as much as knowledge-based, previous experience is vital.

Practical subjects such as Construction or Engineering have a reduced emphasis on theory, (less pressure on written exam), and could be more manageable for a student with dyslexia IF they did the equivalent subject at Junior Cert Level. Although possible, taking on a practical subject would be quite difficult without previous experience.

If he did HL junior cert Tech Graphics he would be able for Ordinary Level DCG - he will not pick up HL at this stage.

No idea about Engineering, but he will basically have missed out on the entire theory course of Construction studies, as with the majority of teachers 6th year is mainly spent doing the project and practicing for the day exam so 90% of theory needs to be covered in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Ag science overlaps with geography

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Also the oral of Irish will be 50% next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

mossy95 wrote: »

Where did you get this information? I've heard nothing like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I would suggest economics! i took it up this year as i am repeating and we are managing it in the year! its not too difficult i find and a fairly short course, a bit similar to business , especially in the course structure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

As has been said before, in Engineering 6th year is largely taken up by the project work, and most of the theory was done in 5th year. While the theory course is relatively short, some of the areas (eutectic diagrams, for example) are pretty complicated. Also, there is a practical exam, and that coupled with the project work makes having experience with the practical work very important. Practicing this is what took up the bulk of our time in fifth year, and unless your son already has experience with metal work, I think he would find it hard to get this done in the one year.

Physics might be a subject to consider. The maths involved isn't very complicated, for the most part it's the manipulation of formulae, and while some of the concepts can be difficult it's really just a matter of learning off the definition and experiments. The questions lend themselves towards short, straightforward answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

The Irish Oral is currently worth 40%, not 50%

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Just like the others said, business and geography really does interlap with economics. There's not an awful lot of writing in it (compared to business) and a lot of it is common sense stuff. The course isn't massive believe me but if he likes that stuff it may be the way to go.

By the way, Irish oral is 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

mossy95 wrote: »

First I've heard of it .

Advertisement