Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues re-pressurising boiler

Options
  • 08-04-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

I have a question for any plumbers on the forum.

I have a Glow worm Flexicom 30SX, which has been losing pressure over the space of a few days, usually worse during the cold weather. Having done some investigation and a lot of reading on various forums, it appears that there is a know issue with the flow pipe in the boiler. The fix was to replace it with a new part from Glow Worm.

The original part was to pipes running down the inside of the boiler, and the replacement part is a one piece kit. I got the replacement part a couple of weeks ago. I fitted it by shutting the system off and then isolating the boiler. I then drained down the boiler only. I fitted the replacement part, which was a bit fiddly, but it has gone in OK.

I then refilled the reopened the isolation valve and re-pressurised the system. All appeared fine, and no leaks in the boiler any more.

I re-pressurised the system using the filling loop with the system still off.

However after the system turns on and runs through a cycle the pressure in the system falls completely, back to 0.0 or 0.1 bar. The system has worked fine and heated everything it was supposed to have done, but within an hour of turning off has lost all pressure. There are no apparent leaks in the boiler and I have had to re-pressurise between each time that the boiler runs and heats the house or water.

When I am re-pressurising the system should the valve be open to allow water to flow through the whole system? i.e should I leave the boiler in the off position and turn the system on so the flow valves open?

Any ideas would be greatly received.

Thanks
    Jon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Bazza32 wrote: »
    I have a Glow worm Flexicom 30SX, ......
    Having done some investigation and a lot of reading on various forums, it appears that there is a know issue with the flow pipe in the boiler. The fix was to replace it with a new part from Glow Worm.

The original part was to pipes running down the inside of the boiler, and the replacement part is a one piece kit. I got the replacement part a couple of weeks ago.......
    I fitted it by shutting the system off and then isolating the boiler. I then drained down the boiler only. I fitted the replacement part, which was a bit fiddly, but it has gone in.
    Was the part external to the boiler or internal to the boiler?
    If internal, are you a Registered Gas Installer?
    If not, how do you know you have not altered some parameters of the boiler unknowingly? What safety checks did you perform following the repair of a gas boiler?
    If not an RGI, it is against the law to work on a gas appliance.
    If not an RGI, you need one now.
    If not an RGI, you will not receive any advice from RGI's here.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Bazza32

Thanks for your assistance!

Seeing that the 2 RGI plumbers I had out previously could not even tell me what the problem was. I decided to do it myself.

Bazza32 wrote: »
    Thanks for your assistance!

Seeing that the 2 RGI plumbers I had out previously could not even tell me what the problem was. I decided to do it myself.

That don't make it legal or more importantly safe!
    Get a recommendation for a decent RGI. They are out there & you may not have to look very far as many of them are right here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

You probably would have got that done as a warranty call. The fan and gas valve unit has to be removed to replace the flow pipe. I know you dont give a sh1t but as shane said youve broken the law. And possess no knowledge or correct equipment to ensure the boiler has been left in a safe state.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

i too have a glow worm flexicom 35 boiler that loses pressure, i am going to put in a warranty claim. I know when the system initially was filled, the safety valve let go and purged water out, i was told by a couple people once these let go they sometimes don't seat properly and leak. This might be a possibility for your problem, check your vent line

• Advertisement

I know when the system initially was filled, the safety valve let go and purged water out, i was told by a couple people once these let go they sometimes don't seat properly and leak. This might be a possibility for your problem, check your vent line
    Why was it "purged" through the safety valve & not by the drained valve that is installed on that particular boiler?
    Strange....

it wasn't purged, he opened the fill valve to quick and it over pressurized the system and the safety valve opened

it wasn't purged, he opened the fill valve to quick and it over pressurized the system and the safety valve opened

So how is that a warranty call? If there is crap in your system, when he made a mistake by over-pressurising the system, debris in the system caught on the rubber seal of the PRV. That is not a manufacturers fault but a system fault.

Not only is it not a warranty call you could be charged a call out as its not a boiler issue and if you don't pay you could lose your warranty.

If it is the safety valve leaking then i would pay for it, but if it isn't then there is other issues with it and that should be warranty, i'll open the line off the safety valve and see if thats where the leak is coming from then i'll know. If it is i'd rather get a authorized glow worm repair agent to change it to keep the warranty valid

• Advertisement

And before anyone asks it was flushed prior to installation and was installed by a rgi plumber with the aid of myself

If it is the safety valve leaking then i would pay for it, but if it isn't then there is other issues with it and that should be warranty, i'll open the line off the safety valve and see if thats where the leak is coming from then i'll know. If it is i'd rather get a authorized glow worm repair agent to change it to keep the warranty valid

If a safety valve activates it's classed as a warning, if it's a boiler issue then it tends to be quite dramatic and easy to identify, if it's been activated by user error and then fails to shut then it's not a manufacturing fault and not covered by a warranty.

Your right about keeping the warranty valid and you ay find you have no problems with them but as the money isn't out there anymore some manufactures are charging for non boiler issues.

Flexicom 35 is a heat only boiler so an external safety valve would have been fitted so it has nothing to do with a warranty call. Its not a boiler problem your losing pressure... your system is the problem. Check obvious like pressure vessel first.

The system boiler which contains a safety valve, pump and vessel within the boiler casing comes in a 18 and 30kw. These would be covered under warranty if it was a manufacturing flaw or problem not if your installer over pressurised your system and lifted the safety valve.

Flexicom 35 is a heat only boiler so an external safety valve would have been fitted so it has nothing to do with a warranty call. Its not a boiler problem your losing pressure... your system is the problem. Check obvious like pressure vessel first.

The system boiler which contains a safety valve, pump and vessel within the boiler casing comes in a 18 and 30kw. These would be covered under warranty if it was a manufacturing flaw or problem not if your installer over pressurised your system and lifted the safety valve.

sorry its a 35cx combi boiler and has a internal safety valve, think i found the leak on one of the rads plus on a low point drain valve that the handle was slightly open by a hoover hitting it in a storage press

sorry its a 35cx combi boiler and has a internal safety valve, think i found the leak on one of the rads plus on a low point drain valve that the handle was slightly open by a hoover hitting it in a storage press

Hopefully thats it then... easy enough fix

Advertisement