Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD Essay sharing for exams

Options
  • 08-04-2013 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi dean here new to boards

Im in third year doing business and sociology. Me and a few mates got a load of essays sent to us from people in the year above and are planning to use and share any other essays we get our hands on and use them if the same questions come up in the summer exams.

My Question is about plagerism in exams...can you get done for plagerism if the examiner sees that two or more people have obviously shared an essay, are answers will obviously be quite similar if a particular question comes up that we have prepared for!

Does any one have any experiences with this or hear if that is classed as plagerism??

Would really appreciate any feed back, cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I would say that if you're using someone else's essays then you're doing college wrong.

I imagine that you could well be accused of plagiarism but it could depend on the lecturer or whoever corrects the paper, as well as the department rules. From my understanding of it, it can be very easy to detect if people are sharing pre-written essays.

Each department will have an extensive document on the subject. Look for them.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    you're doing college wrong.
    I'd agree with this.

Not only is it bad practice, but I'd imagine that regardless of the official policies, examiners would probably take a very dim view of it. I've always been amazed that secondary schools allow it.

If you really want to do it, maybe e-mail your tutor or a lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

Plagiarism is an academic offence - a disciplinary matter. Whether what you are planning counts as plagiarism or not depends on department and university policies.

Unoriginality is poor academic performance - where you produce something that is based too closely on someone else's work. Something could be unoriginal without being plagiarised, in which case you wouldn't get into trouble for it, but you would get a poor mark.

I suggest you use your assigned readings/texts for revision and prepare your answers by distilling them, rather than the work of other students which might not be up to standard.

Advertisement