Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We are great.

Options
  • 08-04-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭

Ireland is on the way to being a post religious society and when that has happened in other societies people have take up other wacky spiritual beliefs and pseudo scientific ideas, we have not done this to any great extent in Ireland. We mostly just ignore the church while retaining the rituals of the church that give up comfort such as wedding and funerals.

The economy is on the floor and in a lot of other economies that has led to the rise of the far right and fascism this has not happened at all in Ireland we have remained passionately moderate in our politicise.

We are a sensible pragmatic moderate people IMO:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

we are all great everybody pat the nearest person to you on the back! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

What other "wacky spiritual beliefs and pseudo scientific ideas"?

Angels?
    Psychics?
    Ghosts?
    Homeopathy?
    Spirit Healing?

I kind of hate to break it to you, but all of the above are ripe in Ireland...

hoodwinked wrote: »
    we are all great everybody pat the nearest person to you on the back! :pac:

The nearest person to me is a Frenchman... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I blame the below cost selling of alcohol in supermarkets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Alcohol is our God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

So brave

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Shenshen wrote: »
    What other "wacky spiritual beliefs and pseudo scientific ideas"?

Angles?

HEY! Leave angles alone, it is not wacky and it's been proven time and time again that a² + b² = c²

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Shenshen wrote: »
    The nearest person to me is a Frenchman... :o

pat him/her on the back tell them, they're great too! lets be non-exclusive! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If we're so great then were need to change the name of the country first. Nobody seems to notice that Ireland means 'Angerland'.

For those without dictionaries, 'ire' = 'intense anger or wrath'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I blame the below cost selling of alcohol in supermarkets

The bread and circus argument, we are being keep passive with all the cheap alcohol.

maximoose wrote: »
    HEY! Leave angles alone, it is not wacky and it's been proven time and time again that a² + b² = c²

Curse my poor English spelling! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

mariaalice wrote: »
    The bread and circus argument, we are being keep passive with all the cheap alcohol.

Why do some people think there is such a thing as cheap alcohol in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

If we're so great then were need to change the name of the country first. Nobody seems to notice that Ireland means 'Angerland'.

For those without dictionaries, 'ire' = 'intense anger or wrath'.

yes, that's exactly how the name was derived. The Anglo-Saxons took one look and said "that's not Hibernia, you daft Romans: it's heated up to high summer by the native rabble."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

G'wan the boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Save me Jebus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

We are great.

Ireland is on the way to being a post religious society and when that has happened in other societies people have take up other wacky spiritual beliefs and pseudo scientific ideas, we have not done this to any great extent in Ireland. We mostly just ignore the church while retaining the rituals of the church that give up comfort such as wedding and funerals.

The economy is on the floor and in a lot of other economies that has led to the rise of the far right and fascism this has not happened at all in Ireland we have remained passionately moderate in our politicise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Come back to me when we have banished 'Religious studies' from school and introduced basic abortion rights OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

OneArt wrote: »
    Why do some people think there is such a thing as cheap alcohol in Ireland?

There is.

Go to the homebrewing forum. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Come back to me when we have banished 'Religious studies' from school and introduced basic abortion rights OP.

I'm grand with generic religion studies. people should know about all the faiths of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vronki

Yep, G.K. Chesterton put it well.
    When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing — they believe in anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Hurray ...may we never have any spiritual reflection ever again.

Next up ..philosophy in general..nonsense, lets scrap it.

We live in a meaningless universe woooohooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Hurray ...may we never have any spiritual reflection ever again.

Next up ..philosophy in general..nonsense, lets scrap it.

We live in a meaningless universe woooohooooo

Spiritual reflection dose not equate to believing in magical thinking, my spiritual meaning could come from loving and being loved and having children could be the meaning of my life

People also find spiritual meaning in poetry, music, art, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Spiritual reflection dose not equate to believing in magical thinking, my spiritual meaning could come from loving and being loved and having children could be the meaning of my life

People also find spiritual meaning in poetry, music, art, etc.

hahaha some whacky stuff there

all hormones and neurons don't ya know.

get down with the pragmatism homey, its all just atoms.

Advertisement