Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I do a fundraiser while on the Dole?

Options
  • 08-04-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

hey there... this is a sort of strange one....

I have a beautiful cat, who's very ill. Now, that never bothered me, as I had work, I could afford to pay his vet bills. And anyway, he was insured.

In February, I lost my job, and had to apply for jobseekers.

I'm worried that the insurance company may not pay for his latest treatments, as it seems I may have missed a clause in the contract.

A friend of mine suggested joining a site like Indiegogo to raise the money to pay his bills, or even to run a table quiz and use the funds to pay for the bills.

But I'm wondering..... would I be doing anything illegal there? I mean, if it were for a registered charity then I'm sure there would be no problem. But I would assume I'd have to pay tax on the donations....or could my dole even be cut off because I got some extra money from somewhere? :/

any advice would be great. Thanks a mill :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Yunalesca wrote: »
    hey there... this is a sort of strange one....

I have a beautiful cat, who's very ill. Now, that never bothered me, as I had work, I could afford to pay his vet bills. And anyway, he was insured.

In February, I lost my job, and had to apply for jobseekers.

I'm worried that the insurance company may not pay for his latest treatments, as it seems I may have missed a clause in the contract.

A friend of mine suggested joining a site like Indiegogo to raise the money to pay his bills, or even to run a table quiz and use the funds to pay for the bills.

But I'm wondering..... would I be doing anything illegal there? I mean, if it were for a registered charity then I'm sure there would be no problem. But I would assume I'd have to pay tax on the donations....or could my dole even be cut off because I got some extra money from somewhere? :/

any advice would be great. Thanks a mill :)
    You must tell the dept if you are getting any income from any source.I guess you are on JSB if you work a day you will lose a days jobseekers,if you are on JSA all income must be declared for the means test.Just to clarify if you spend a hour on a website and make a few bob from it, that will be classed as a day's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

alright thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's kind of a grey area though I think - I mean surely having a table quiz could be considered as a donation rather than "work"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

It's kind of a grey area though I think - I mean surely having a table quiz could be considered as a donation rather than "work"

That's what I was wondering you see, would it be considered a donation or what. But anyway, problem solved. I went down to the vet today and he agreed to work out a payment plan with me if the insurance doesn't pay. So my kitty lives to fight another day! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Lets look at it this way,you run a table quiz people donate a few bob in order to help you pay your bills.Then you put the donations into your bank a/c,the dept will see that as income.There has been one or two threads here where unemployed youngsters have got money from parents to help with bills ect,these have run into trouble with the dept when bank statements were asked for. ie undeclared income.

• Advertisement
Advertisement