Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about the Bob O'Keefe Cup

Options
  • 08-04-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭

Lads this is something that I was thinking about last year when Galway won the Leinster championship and lifted the Bob O'Keefe cup. I remember looking at the trophy at the time and realising they had replaced the trophy. It used to be a massive piece of silver, and then in the last two years they had a smaller one. I can't find any explanation anywhere online. Anyone know why they replaced it? Or where the old one is?

Was it just because it was costing KK too much in petrol money to have to drive it up and down to Dublin every summer? To be fair, I thought it was a ridiculously over-sized trophy, but they wouldn't replace the Munster championship trophy without anyone seeming to notice or care.

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Best place to check is in Humphrey Kellehers new book - Family Silver I think its called. Has all the history of every cup that is in GAA, ladies football, camogie and handball

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I think the original is in the museum in Croker. From memory, it is pretty battered and bent out of shape.
    Probably the wexford lads in 04:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Best place to check is in Humphrey Kellehers new book - Family Silver I think its called. Has all the history of every cup that is in GAA, ladies football, camogie and handball
    Nail on the head,your spot on.Its mentioned in that book.
    The top of the Cup was lost so they had to replace it in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Nail on the head,your spot on.Its mentioned in that book.
    The top of the Cup was lost so they had to replace it in 2005.

That's mad, would have sworn they were still using the old cup more recently than that though. Thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

That's mad, would have sworn they were still using the old cup more recently than that though. Thanks for the info

No bother .Would not of known of the book only RG 15 said it.I just came across the book today and read it.John O Connor was the last man to hold it and Peter Barry was the first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I was down in O'Loughlin's GAA club in 2003 or 2004 and I wandered upstairs...

in the bar they had the Liam McCarthy, Bob O'Keefe, Under 21, National League and Minor hurling cups sitting on the bar.

Just sitting there collecting dust.

And the bar was closed with not a sinner in the place.

Unbelievable.

Advertisement