Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SailRail query

Options
  • 08-04-2013 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

If I get the Irish Ferries Dublin - Holyhead sailing at 2055, do I have to get the first train from Holyhead in the morning (0425) or can I get a later one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

LeftBlank wrote: »
    If I get the Irish Ferries Dublin - Holyhead sailing at 2055, do I have to get the first train from Holyhead in the morning (0425) or can I get a later one?

No, you don't. You will be fine on later trains. Done this route many times. Do yourself a favour and grab a cheap B&B in Holyhead or the Travelodge and grab a later train feeling refreshed It's not exactly a fun stay over in the station all kinds of oddballs and ahem, 'rambling folk' seem to find their way there you'd need to sleep with one eye open..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Strumms wrote: »
    No, you don't. You will be fine on later trains. Done this route many times. Do yourself a favour and grab a cheap B&B in Holyhead or the Travelodge and grab a later train feeling refreshed It's not exactly a fun stay over in the station all kinds of oddballs and ahem, 'rambling folk' seem to find their way there you'd need to sleep with one eye open..

Thanks, planning to stay in the Travelodge alright. Was just asking because I'd like to get more than 3 1/2 hours sleep for the cost of the bed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

you can get any train you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Alternatively, you now have the option of getting the Stena Nordica from Dublin Port at 0215 as this ship now takes Foot Passengers.

It arrives into Holyhead at 0545 and you will connect into the 0628 ATW to Cardiff or 0655 VT to London Euston Departures (or indeed later departures if you so wish). I wouldn't recommend hanging around Holyhead Station for up to 4 hours....just the sheer boredom of it and the occasional interesting types that seem to love getting the ferry to/from Ireland.
    Foot Passengers Sailing From Dublin Port

Stena Line are pleased to announce that from Monday 1st April 2013, foot passengers will be able to travel on the 02:15hrs and 15:10hrs sailings from Dublin Port!
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/latest-sailing-information/dublin-port-holyhead/

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

A further option is to travel via Rosslare. Plus of going this way is no need to wait around as Fishguard has connecting train from all Rosslare sailings.

Mon - Fri times ex Dublin Connolly are 1637, arr. Rosslare 1925. Can check in straightaway. Sail at 2100. Train from Fishguard 0150 (but is there at 01.30 or so), change at Swansea but Intercity train waiting. Gets to London Paddington at about 0730. Connections to other parts available e.g. change at Bristol Parkway for Birmingham etc...

Advance ticket Dublin-London via Rosslare costs €61 as opposed to €46 Dublin-London via Holyhead.

Ticket can be bought at Connolly ticket office or can be bought by card by phoning Irish Rail at least a week ahead.

http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/rail-and-sail/fishguard/

• Advertisement

Geog1234 wrote: »
    A further option is to travel via Rosslare.

Unfortunately, getting from Kildare area to Rosslare is...challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Thanks, planning to stay in the Travelodge alright. Was just asking because I'd like to get more than 3 1/2 hours sleep for the cost of the bed :)
    it was on the news that the travellodge in Holyhead was on fire a couple of days ago so just check that it still is in operation!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-22051559

on the plus side, if it gets renovated it'll most likely receive the new style Travelodge interior which is quite swish and features a supposedly very comfy bed that would normally retail at well over 1000pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Unfortunately, getting from Kildare area to Rosslare is...challenging.

It's possibe, but time consuming.

Last October I had to go to London and decided on the Fishguard Route, previously I could go Portlaoise - Limerick Jct - Waterford - Rosslare but as that option is no longer with us I had no option but to get to Rosslare the following way.

Old timetable!!
    13.05 Galway - Heuston from Portarlington.
    Tram to Connolly.
    16.37 Connolly - Rosslare Europort.

So from Kildare I would suggest:
    13.05 Waterford - Heuston from Kildare at 1440 OR 1420 Portlaoise - Heuston from Kildare at 1445
    Tram to Connolly
    16.37 Connolly - Rosslare Europort.

You would arrive into London at 07.31, travelling via Fishguard compared to a 10.38 arrival into London via Holyhead using the 02.15 departure from Dublin. At the end of the day, it depends on how critical you arrival time in London is.

+8 hour time difference in departing Kildare compared to a +3 hour arrival time difference. I can see the Stena Nordica being very attractive!

The Wanderer.

At the end of the day, it depends on how critical you arrival time in London is.

Or indeed if London was my final destination :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to get the 0551 train from Holyhead to get where I need to go in time, so I think I will get the late ferry and check into Travelodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

have a look at Qjump.co.uk . Enter holyhead to your destination and it wil show you what times your trains are and any changes to make. First train out is around half 4

• Advertisement
Advertisement