Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of installing new door opening

Options
  • 08-04-2013 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey,

Can anyone suggest a guide price for installing a new door frame in a house? We are looking at putting french doors into our sitting room to try and get a little more light into the room and I was wondering does anyone know if its a costly/difficult job?

The house is build on 9" cavitys (ultra warm I know ;) ) and the room is drylinded, there is nothing there currently (no existing window) so would be needing to knock out the opening.

We are replacing the windows in the rest of the house, so though while we are ordering everything else we might see if the budget could stretch to this too.

Thanks,
    N.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hey,

Can anyone suggest a guide price for installing a new door frame in a house? We are looking at putting french doors into our sitting room to try and get a little more light into the room and I was wondering does anyone know if its a costly/difficult job?

The house is build on 9" cavitys (ultra warm I know ;) ) and the room is drylinded, there is nothing there currently (no existing window) so would be needing to knock out the opening.

We are replacing the windows in the rest of the house, so though while we are ordering everything else we might see if the budget could stretch to this too.

Thanks,
    N.

Take advice from say a Structural Engineer, before you take on this project.
    It's not just a case of knocking a hole in the wall, as the wall above the opening will have to be properly supported, and you will need a new concrete head, or maybe a steel rsj installed, over the new door.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SargentDuck

martinn123 wrote: »
    Take advice from say a Structural Engineer, before you take on this project.
    It's not just a case of knocking a hole in the wall, as the wall above the opening will have to be properly supported, and you will need a new concrete head, or maybe a steel rsj installed, over the new door.

Cheers for the advice, now I just have to find one willing to come out for such a small job ;)

I had intended on getting a builder in to do it (I like a little DIY, but not this!!) and assumed a concrete head would be needed, never thought a steel RDJ would be needed.

Thanks,
    N

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Cheers for the advice, now I just have to find one willing to come out for such a small job ;)

I had intended on getting a builder in to do it (I like a little DIY, but not this!!) and assumed a concrete head would be needed, never thought a steel RDJ would be needed.

Thanks,
    N

It depends on the size of the opening, but as important is holding up the walls above, while the opening is made, last thing you want is a big crack running up the wall, where the blocks above have moved.

Advertisement