Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology in Trinity or UCD?

Options
  • 08-04-2013 12:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6

I've decided to study Psychology but I'm at a loss of where to study it. Both UCD and Trinity look very attractive. Just wondering which one would people recommend more in terms of the course, lecturers, resources, reputation and the college itself... I also know that Trinity has the TSM with Sociology which also looks interesting, any opinions on that?

try not to be biased please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I've decided to study Psychology but I'm at a loss of where to study it. Both UCD and Trinity look very attractive. Just wondering which one would people recommend more in terms of the course, lecturers, resources, reputation and the college itself... I also know that Trinity has the TSM with Sociology which also looks interesting, any opinions on that?

try not to be biased please :)

Hi! I studied psychology in UCD and I loved it.

I was actually offered Trinity in the 2nd round CAO offers, but I decided to stick with UCD. My main reason was that the course is one year shorter in UCD. It's recognized to the same level as the one in Trinity (PSI accredited), so for me it was a no brainer. Psychology as a professional career is a long, hard slog so anything that shaves time off it is great. With the extra year, I was able to go traveling, which I probably wouldn't have done otherwise. Most of my friends have already completed masters and some are now doing PhD's only 2 years after graduating, so if you do well in your degree your future prospects are definitely not hindered by UCD!

In terms of the course itself, the psychology department is fantastic. Great support from the lecturers, and they have some great equipment like an eye tracker in the laboratories which can make for interesting Lab modules / Thesis ideas! There's a good range of modules on offer so you can choose based on your interests (be quick though, they fill up quickly!) The library had everything I ever needed for essays and things. Our class was very close too, but this can obviously completely depend on your class rep / people being bothered to socialize etc. I can't speak at all for the facilities in Trinity, although I'd imagine they'd be at the same high level.

One thing to remember with a degree in psychology though is that alone, it doesn't actually qualify you to do anything. It's like an arts degree in that sense (although with some fantastic transferable skills which link to marketing, HR etc - so the prospects outside of psychology are great too). To make a career in it you HAVE to do at least a masters, and in most cases a doctorate level course. If you're considering that route, I'd definitely recommend the 3 year UCD BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

I might be a bit biased but I really think UCD is a better option. It's an incredible department, very supportive and forward thinking. UCD is a very research focused psychology department which is an advantage as an undergraduate. I have had nothing but positive experiences here. As far as I know, in terms of the organisation of the department, it is a little bit better than Trinity, but I have only heard this from dissatisfied trinity students, so that could be slightly skewed.

In terms of career progression, UCD offers a taught psychology masters and masters by research in psychology as well as a doctorate in clinical psychology. The taught masters, the M.Psych.Sc is a great preparation for the D.Psych.Sc (clinical doctorate).

Advertisement