Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice Help!

Options
  • 07-04-2013 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey!,

I'm coming up to the end of TY but have absolutely no idea of what subjects I should choose and we have to have choose them by next week.

In the JC, I got A's in Art, Maths, History, CSPE and English, and the rest B's. All honours.

I know I want to do Law, but I don't know whether to go for the 'easier' subjects, easier for me would include learning stuff off, or the ones that I enjoy.

What I'm thinking is:

Irish, Maths & English
    Spanish
    Art
    History/Chemisty
    And a science subject, probably Physics.

I might also do Music outside of school.

And I don't know whether or not to do LCVP, cause I think it would be a miracle if I got an A in Irish in the LC, and apparently it's really easy and has no homework.

But like I'm such an indecisive person and keep changing my mind! Any advice would be so good!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 joe....

PeterJC! wrote: »
    Hey!,

I'm coming up to the end of TY but have absolutely no idea of what subjects I should choose and we have to have choose them by next week.

In the JC, I got A's in Art, Maths, History, CSPE and English, and the rest B's. All honours.

I know I want to do Law, but I don't know whether to go for the 'easier' subjects, easier for me would include learning stuff off, or the ones that I enjoy.

What I'm thinking is:

Irish, Maths & English
    Spanish
    Art
    History/Chemisty
    And a science subject, probably Physics.

I might also do Music outside of school.

And I don't know whether or not to do LCVP, cause I think it would be a miracle if I got an A in Irish in the LC, and apparently it's really easy and has no homework.

But like I'm such an indecisive person and keep changing my mind! Any advice would be so good!

Thanks!

Hey, well done on JC!! :)
    I think you should do a at least 1 business subject if your planning on doing law afterwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

History is reallly difficult to get an A in. There is heaps of stuff to be learned off, and your essays have to be written in a very specific manner. A lot of thinking and conclusions, but avoid personal opinion. Though if you like history I say go for it, as it's really interesting, and if you manage to find the 'key' to writing essays in it, it should be really enjoyable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Guys we really need a sticky for this.. There's at least 2 or 3 every week :)

I would suggest History, Physics and a business subject(Business, Economics. Accounting)

History is tough, includes a lot of learning off and essay writing.

Business subjects could be good for you if you're interested in law but beware Business Studies also includes lots of things to learn off. But if you're good at that like you said you should go for it.

Physics isn't hard unlike most people say, if you can get a C in HL Maths, you can get a B1 or higher in the maths part of Physics provided you understand the question. The rest is learning/understanding things.

These subjects aren't really necessary to do Law but just a suggestion. If you're good at other subjects, you can do them instead and still get into Law but do a science subject though(btw Chemistry is a science) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I'm not sure about other law courses but for corporate law(in NUIG anyways) you do modules in accountancy so that subject could be very helpful to you.

I think you do many different forms of business anyways to do with law so one business subject would be highly recommended I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

Thanks everyone!

I picked History, Art, Spanish and Business, took a while to decide, a bit nervous about ruling out any sciences, but oh well!

• Advertisement

PeterJC! wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!

I picked History, Art, Spanish and Business, took a while to decide, a bit nervous about ruling out any sciences, but oh well!

I would seriously reconsider that decision, try to do at least one science.

You're in TY now, by the time you're in 6th year, Law could be the last on your CAO. I'm only in 5th year now and trust me I've decided on and forgot about at least 10 different careers.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I would seriously reconsider that decision, try to do at least one science.

You're in TY now, by the time you're in 6th year, Law could be the last on your CAO. I'm only in 5th year now and trust me I've decided on and forgot about at least 10 different careers.

If it is, most likely a course in Art will be on the top.

I know I don't want to pursue a career in anything 'sciencey', so studying a science subject for me, would be a waste of time, unenjoyable and unbeneficial; I did consider the repercussions of ruling out the sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I do history and art. I'm pretty good at them I'd like to think! History is quite a big course! Only do it if you are really interested in history. Its really just learning facts, a lot different to jc history. You have 3 essays and one documents question in the exam. Its tough but do-able! Can't say the same for art though! Art is a bit of a wish wash in the jc. Everyone in our school got A's and my project was terrible! For the LC its not as bad. The study load isn't huge. Art history is a pain. Unless you liked the Neolithic etc section in jc history avoid! But apart from art history its a good course. You have three drawing exams which you do in early may so you have the art history exam in June with the rest! I'd disagree with doing a science though! I picked biology thinking I wanted to leave my options open, although I'm fairly good at it I would never do a science degree! Good luck! :)

Oh and I want to do law myself!

user.name wrote: »
    I do history and art. I'm pretty good at them I'd like to think! History is quite a big course! Only do it if you are really interested in history. Its really just learning facts, a lot different to jc history. You have 3 essays and one documents question in the exam. Its tough but do-able! Can't say the same for art though! Art is a bit of a wish wash in the jc. Everyone in our school got A's and my project was terrible! For the LC its not as bad. The study load isn't huge. Art history is a pain. Unless you liked the Neolithic etc section in jc history avoid! But apart from art history its a good course. You have three drawing exams which you do in early may so you have the art history exam in June with the rest! I'd disagree with doing a science though! I picked biology thinking I wanted to leave my options open, although I'm fairly good at it I would never do a science degree! Good luck! :)

Oh and I want to do law myself!

Yeah I'm pretty pleased with my choice now! Haha, I sound like such a loser, but I actually love art history, both my parents were artists and lecturers, so that's kinda been drilled into me!

Yeah I sort of wanted to leave my options open too, but I know I'm not going to do a Science course too so I might as well do a subject I enjoy.

Thanks and good luck to you too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I wanted to do Primary School teaching before I went into 5th year, and I hated science for Junior Cert. When I did work experience in 5th year, I hated it and decided I never wanted to do primary teaching, a career I wanted for years and years. I took biology in 5th year because people said it was easy, but I fell in love with the subject and now want to persue a career in science after my leaving cert this year. What I'm trying to say is, you will change your mind most likely at least once or twice before the CAO opens in 6th year, and you may end up doing something you never dreamed you'd ever pick!

• Advertisement

I wanted to do Primary School teaching before I went into 5th year, and I hated science for Junior Cert. When I did work experience in 5th year, I hated it and decided I never wanted to do primary teaching, a career I wanted for years and years. I took biology in 5th year because people said it was easy, but I fell in love with the subject and now want to persue a career in science after my leaving cert this year. What I'm trying to say is, you will change your mind most likely at least once or twice before the CAO opens in 6th year, and you may end up doing something you never dreamed you'd ever pick!

Exactly and by not picking science in 5th year, you're limiting yourself to a small fraction of all the CAO course available.

OP, I know you think you'll never want to do science after school and Arts is all you want to do but you'd be surprised at how many people say that going into 5th year and then end up despising the Arts and doing Health, Science, Engineering or IT.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Exactly and by not picking science in 5th year, you're limiting yourself to a small fraction of all the CAO course available.

OP, I know you think you'll never want to do science after school and Arts is all you want to do but you'd be surprised at how many people say that going into 5th year and then end up despising the Arts and doing Health, Science, Engineering or IT.

I'm sure of my decision. And anyway it's too late to change my mind now.

Advertisement