Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lab jobs Australia

Options
  • 07-04-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi!
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice about Lab jobs in Oz?
    Thinking about moving there in september.
    I have 2 years experience working as a biochemist (R&D,medical devices).
    Much opportunities around Victoria?
    Thanks in advance!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 little_divil

I am in Brisbane so maybe not directly much help. A good idea might be to try registering with some of the scientific recruitment agencies as a lot of the lab jobs can be contract. So they could be a good start. Also check out seek, www.seek.com.au which is another obvious place to look initially.

Agencies to try might be www.evolvescientific.com.au and www.kellyservices.com.au who seem to advertise a fair few contract lab jobs and are nationwide.

It also depends on the visa too. Working holiday visas are a big hinderance anyway in Brisbane/Queensland but you might have better luck in Victoria.

Hope that helps as a start at least!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

It will depend on your visa. I agree with everything little divil has said, it all applies to Victoria as well.

If you arrive on a work holiday visa, you will find it difficult to get a job as some companies tend to want longer term.

There are 3 or 4 big multinational companies here in Melbourne. The ones i can think of are GSK, Hospira and CSL.

I know a couple of people that got lab jobs, (i work in QA btw). It took them a while to get jobs (2 -3 months). It took me two months to get a proper job when i got here a few years ago, i did casual work up to that so didnt mind though.

I have seen some jobs on SEEK lately that have speciifed people on Work Holiday Visas are encouraged to apply though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

As others have already said it really depends on your visa. Most people including myself came over on a WHV which is a massive hinderance if your trying to establish a career. Your only allowed to work a maximum of 6months with the one employer. I work in a lab based position myself but ive been quite lucky as its the same company i worked for back home.

Ive found the opposite to what hasmunch is saying. If you look on fuserecruitment.com.au / a lot of mining recruitment sites they specifically say "Apologies, however 457 sponsorship or holiday Visa's will not be acceptable for this role". The 457 visa is getting a lot of bad press in the media at the moment. Theres some changes coming and it will be harder for companies in the future to sponsor potential candiates. I've also been looking on various jobsites over the past two months and it seems to be like the music has stopped.

Funnily enough theres Irish girls in both evolve scientific and techstaff based in Melbourne (both on 457's). Fire off an Email or give them a call to gauge the situation for yourself.

If however your coming over on a Permanent visa then you'll have no problems and theres a rake load of money to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Zita87

Thank you so much for all the advice! It is much appreciated!
    The links will be really helpful in my hunt.
    As you all stated above the visa is the main thing that I am worried about,
    but I am hoping this might be overlooked with my experience (fingers crossed).

Thank you C0rk3r for your advice in relation to the recruiting companies, I will try and make contact in the next few days.
    Hope you are all doing well over in there.. I'm dreaming of that hot weather! ;)

Advertisement