Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 14: Huevos Rancheros.

Options
  • 07-04-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone! :)

I love cooking, love love it. If you come to my house, you'll be fed. I love cooking for people, I love to have a nice meal at home with my friends that I've cooked myself and a few drinks and a lovely chat, if people stay in my house for the weekend I will make sure that they are fed and watered. This recipe has become one of my staples for when we have people staying with us.

Long time cooker of recipes from this forum, I'd like to thank everyone who's posted recipes here because a lot of the food that I make both on a day to day basis and for special occasions have come from The Cooking Club, so I'm hoping that you guys like this as much as I've liked yours, so here goes:

Huevos Rancheros (Ranch eggs) is a Mexican breakfast recipe that I first tried a while back in Manchester Airport, I was direly hungover and this really did just clear my head, seriously, if you can whip this up when hungover, it'll sort you right out! It looks kind of like a pizza, because you lay out the tortilla wrap, with tomato sauce, then eggs, pancetta, chorizo, cheese and a light salad. It's not at all greasy and has a wonderful mix of flavours and its one of the main breakfasts I cook at home now, it's very filling and is a great set up for the day! You can throw some extra stuff in if you have it, it's a forgiving recipe. This is my twist on it.

This recipe will typically make 4 servings, and there's always sauce left over in our house so that becomes a base of a pasta sauce later on that day! hehe!

Anyways, to the Recipe!

Tomato Sauce:

- 1 large white onion
    - Sprinkling of paprika
    - 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    - 1 tsp of cumin powder
    - 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
    - 1 tsp of garlic powder
    - 3 tablespoons of sweetcorn
    - 1 teaspoon dried basil
    - 1 teaspoon of dried oregano

Toppings:

- Chorizo, you can those slices, or you can use the sausage.
    - Grated Cheese
    - Pancetta, I normally use the Aldi packs that you get in the fridge.
    - Half a dozen eggs.
    - Black pepper.

Salad:

- 1 avocado, finely chopped.
    - 1 red onion, finely chopped.
    - Fresh parsley, finely chopped.
    - Iceberg lettuce, finely chopped.

Other Ingredients:
    -olive oil
    -1 tortilla wrap per person.

Method:

1. Preheat your oven to Gas Mark 3.
    2. Add some olive oil to a heavy based pot and heat on a medium heat, chop up your white onion, doesn't have to be finely, I just like mine chunky enough but it's up to you. Add to the pot and cook on a low heat until it's translucent, then add the garlic and sprinkle it with paprika, give it a stir until the onions take on an orange hew from the paprika. Fry for a further 2 minutes.
    3. Add your chopped tomatos to the pot, give it a stir, add the cumin, chilli powder and garlic powder. Leave on a low heat for 10 minutes. When the ten minutes is up just turn it off.
    4, While the sauce is cooking, fry your pancetta in a small pan, and if you're using the chorizo sausage chop it into little chunks.
    6. Get a large pan and heat a tablespoon of olive oil on it, fry the tortilla wraps on either side til golden and soft, and put on a plate and into the oven to keep warm.
    7. Beat 6 eggs in a bowl and add a healthy dose of black pepper, then cook them in the pan that you fried the tortillas in.
    8. When the pancetta is cooked, you can take it off the heat, if you're using the chorizo sausage, chuck it into the same pan on a warm heat just long enough for it to warm up.
    9. Reheat your sauce, add the sweetcorn to it, along with the oregano and basil, and while it's warming, chop finely all of your salad ingredients and mix together in a little bowl.

The Assembly:

Take a wrap and place it on a plate, smooth some of the tomato sauce on it, sprinkle the cheese on, (and you can add the chorizo slices now if you're using those), followed by a small handful of pancetta, chorizo, and then scrambled egg, if you need to, just seperate the egg with your spatula because sometimes when you scramble the egg it can lump together. Sprinkle some of your salad over the top, and serve. It doesn't need to be really hot, it generally is just warm but you can zing it in the microwave for twenty seconds if you want it to be.

Serve with a pot of coffee, orange juice, and wait for the dancing tastebuds! :pac: alas, I have no pictures, it gets lifted away before I can capture it!

Thanks for reading, enjoy! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sounds delicious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

i love huevos racheros, its my favourite breakfast.:)

will definitively give this ago

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Big fan of the dish. Especially with chorizo. I wonder what the purists would say about using Italian pancetta ;)

I normally poach my eggs in the tomato sauce. Might try scrambling next time to save time. This weekend I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Husband is cooking this up at the moment. Smells great, can't wait to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

It was gorgeous. Very filling, am stuffed now. Thanks for the recipe hattoncracker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Roesy wrote: »
    It was gorgeous. Very filling, am stuffed now. Thanks for the recipe hattoncracker!

Yeah it's a great dish! I have pictures to upload but I can't find the lead for my camera! I am gonna hunt for it today! :)

I.can never ever finish mine, my boyfriend always gets one and a half! Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Mellor wrote: »
    Big fan of the dish. Especially with chorizo. I wonder what the purists would say about using Italian pancetta ;)

I normally poach my eggs in the tomato sauce. Might try scrambling next time to save time. This weekend I think.

Ah I just throw in the pancetta coz it's awesome! Heehee! Let me know how u get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah I just throw in the pancetta coz it's awesome! Heehee! Let me know how u get on!

Ah I was only teasing.
    I have to put off making this until next week. Have to eat pretty plain until Sunday evening.

Advertisement