Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michel Thomas Method?

Options
  • 07-04-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I'm currently at B1 level CEFRL and want to do some intensive independent study over the next few weeks to get that up to a B2. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Michel Thomas method? I was thinking of getting the Intermediate to Advanced one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niallcon4re

The Spanish version is all about repetition of grammar like "If I had known it, I would have told you" type grammar constructions.

I think MT is fantastic but think it is for beginners, I think you'd learn little from it, a few bits of grammar here and there but that's all.

That said, my only reference is that I've done all the Spanish MT and found it fantastic, but a Spanish student with a B1 level would know most of the Spanish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Would the Michael Thomas method be a good program to get you to level B1?

I'm currently studying German and will hopefully be moving there in September, so I'm looking for ways that I can improve before I go over.

I'm not looking to be fluent or anything (yet), but a level of German that would get me through day to day interactions etc. would be more than useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

nummnutts wrote: »
    Would the Michael Thomas method be a good program to get you to level B1?

I'm currently studying German and will hopefully be moving there in September, so I'm looking for ways that I can improve before I go over.

I'm not looking to be fluent or anything (yet), but a level of German that would get me through day to day interactions etc. would be more than useful.
    I ended up buying "Teach yourself" Level 5. I'm not sure what level your German is at presently, but I guess level 3 or 4 would take you up to B1.

I'll let you know how it is later. It's much cheaper than Michel Thomas which is why I bought this one instead. I couldn't justify spending ~150 euros when I also have the internet at my disposal.

I'd also recommend parallel texts - though go for an easier one as they're quite difficult especially if you're not at B1 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

sdiff wrote: »
    I ended up buying "Teach yourself" Level 5. I'm not sure what level your German is at presently, but I guess level 3 or 4 would take you up to B1.

I'll let you know how it is later. It's much cheaper than Michel Thomas which is why I bought this one instead. I couldn't justify spending ~150 euros when I also have the internet at my disposal.

I'd also recommend parallel texts - though go for an easier one as they're quite difficult especially if you're not at B1 yet.

I'm a little bit away from being B1 level, but I'm hoping to improve as much as I can over the summer. :)

I checked out the Michel Thomas website, and it definitely did seem a little pricey especially, as you say, we have the internet.

I'll check out the 'Teach Yourself' website though. Cheers.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

sdiff wrote: »

They have more than one level??? Wow, you have just made me very happy to find that out. I have an old one that I bought years ago and it says nothing about levels on it. Great if they have expanded that course, it is great for starters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement