Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy Tech student confusion!

Options
  • 07-04-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,
    I'm currently a pharmacy technician student, almost finished my first year and only one to go! In the past year I've learned that a pharmacy is not the place for me. I enjoy the science and am quite studious in college but during placement I find myself dreading it. I am a mature student and am determined to complete the course successfully but my question is, is there something I can do with this qualification that doesn't require working in a pharmacy? Are there courses leading to lab work perhaps or research?
    Thanks for your time, all options considered!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Hi all,
    I'm currently a pharmacy technician student, almost finished my first year and only one to go! In the past year I've learned that a pharmacy is not the place for me. I enjoy the science and am quite studious in college but during placement I find myself dreading it. I am a mature student and am determined to complete the course successfully but my question is, is there something I can do with this qualification that doesn't require working in a pharmacy? Are there courses leading to lab work perhaps or research?
    Thanks for your time, all options considered!

What is it about working in a pharmacy that you hate? The customer service? Your colleagues? Reporting to the pharmacist? Repetitive work? The hours? Wearing a uniform?
    If you're not sure which one you dislike you could end up switching to a career with more of what you dislike!

You could try contacting colleges to see if they would consider your qualifications for advanced entry to science courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

You are doing a course that effectively trains you for a single career path. Have you had any hospital placements? You may prefer that to community work but with the public service embargo oppertunities are very limited.

It is difficult for school leavers to know what career they may be suited for but it is disappointing that a mature student wasn't given enough information for them to know they were going down the wrong track. There seems to be a pressure to fill these places rather than to select suitable candidates. I hear drop out rates are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CherryRed99

What is it about working in a pharmacy that you hate? The customer service? Your colleagues? Reporting to the pharmacist? Repetitive work? The hours? Wearing a uniform?
    If you're not sure which one you dislike you could end up switching to a career with more of what you dislike!

You could try contacting colleges to see if they would consider your qualifications for advanced entry to science courses?

I think it may be the dealing with the public, although it comes naturally I do think I'm more suited to a "behind the scene" type of position! I have made an appointment with the careers office in college so hopefully they will be able to help too, thanks for the advise!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CherryRed99

echo beach wrote: »
    You are doing a course that effectively trains you for a single career path. Have you had any hospital placements? You may prefer that to community work but with the public service embargo oppertunities are very limited.

It is difficult for school leavers to know what career they may be suited for but it is disappointing that a mature student wasn't given enough information for them to know they were going down the wrong track. There seems to be a pressure to fill these places rather than to select suitable candidates. I hear drop out rates are high.

In my second year I will have a hospital placement and, from what I gather from previous graduates, this may indeed suit me better. I completely agree that enough info wasnt forthcoming when I made my application. In one way I was lucky because my leaving cert automatically guaranteed me a place so I didn't have the chance to question interviewers but I can't let the college take all the blame. I should have completed some more thorough research too! Hopefully the hospital placement will be best for me and the careers office advise me too! Thanks for your input!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I think it may be the dealing with the public, although it comes naturally I do think I'm more suited to a "behind the scene" type of position! I have made an appointment with the careers office in college so hopefully they will be able to help too, thanks for the advise!

Clinical pharmacy has little to no customer interaction, but jobs in public sector hospitals are rare now and would be hard to get without experience. I have no idea whether industrial pharmacy has a role for pharmaceutical technicians, maybe your lecturers, careers advisor or the pharmaceutical society could tell you?

If you enjoy the science aspect maybe a course like pharmaceutical chemistry or biochemistry would suit you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I have no idea whether industrial pharmacy has a role for pharmaceutical technicians, maybe your lecturers, careers advisor or the pharmaceutical society could tell you?

If you enjoy the science aspect maybe a course like pharmaceutical chemistry or biochemistry would suit you?

The pharamceutical industry often requires at least a masters degree and usually a Phd. Technical roles are filled by those with a more general training than the specific qualification of a pharmacy technician.
    I wouldn't pin my hopes on a hospital job. As well as being difficult to get, the role is evolving to a more patient based one, following the present UK model, so you could find yourself unhappy there too.

It does sound as if another course would suit you better and it may be possible to transfer. If you do, it may feel as if you have wasted this year but that isn't the case. You have gained an important insight into your own strengths and preferences. Many people spend 4+ years doing a degree and come out knowing they made the wrong choice.

Advertisement