Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MKII Focus DIY bonnet release fix

Options
  • 07-04-2013 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭

Ok, so a known problem with the MKII Focus is the bonnet release cable gromet comes away from the lock release mechanism quite easily if there is ever any pressure or unnatural movement put on it. This happened to my own car recently after I was doing some work behind the front bumper and below I'll show how you can fix this yourself, without the need to go to a garage or buy anything new (hopefully, as long as nothing is actually broken).

Step 1. - Getting the Bonnet open when the key appears to do nothing and turn freely each direction.

First thing to try is to press the grille firmly in towards the engine, do this with a gradual force but don't be afraid to really give it a good increasingly firm push. If you hear a click at the stage, try and the key again and see if it works, could be job done! If not, then try the second method which is to press down on the front of the bonnet just above where the locking mechanism is as you try and turn the key, this may engage the mechanism and the bonnet may release.

If neither of these approaches work, then you're going to need to get involved in the more involved fix. What I used at this point was a 200mm length flat headed screwdriver. You need to slide this in the front of the grille, just to the left of the Ford badge, as per below...

img1844md.jpg

You might need a light at this stage to see where you're aiming, but you need to follow the locking mechanism cable up to the front of the housing for the locking mechanism itself. There is a rubber boot at the front of this, which you need to pull off so you can get in to the mechanism behind it.

img1845dt.jpg

This is somewhat tricky, but actually not that difficult, it's just a case of being difficult to actually see what you're doing, rather than doing it. Once you have the rubber boot off, you'll be able to see (somewhat) into the mechanism behind it, as it's a lovely white plastic...

img1846bj.jpg

What you need to do next is apply pressure to the top of the white part of the mechanism you can now reach that was behind the boot.

img1848ya.jpg

At this stage you may require a second person, as you need to press the screwdriver in against the mechanism as you turn the key left (you should feel it starting to engage now as you're applying the pressure) and then right to release the bonnet. Doing three things with two hands can be difficult, hence having someone to lift the bonnet once released is handy.
    This stage may take a few tries, but applying the pressure at slightly different points while you turn the key should give you a good indication when you're onto the right place, as you'll feel the mechanism starting to engage as you turn the key left and the bonnet may even do the initial release here (but may still be just about locked).

At this point you should now hopefully have an open bonnet!

img1703jl.jpg

Step 2. - Fixing the Mechanism

Next what you need to do is fix what has actually broken. Most of the time is it actually just a case of the front part of the internal mechanism seperating from the actual lock itself. The first thing you will want to do now is remove the slam panel (easily done by removing the 6 plastic screws and holders) and then also remove the front grille. Being careful of the locking mechanism at this point isn't hugely important, but I'd still take care to ensure you don't pull it about too much.

(Sorry no pics of this part because some of these pics I took after I had fixed mine and messing with the front grille is not a pleasant experience especially as you can cause this issue by doing so!)

Once you have the slam panel and front grille off, you'll have the lock hanging forward from the locking mechanism. If you're lucky, you'll be able to just take hold of it close the mechanism and push it back in to place. If you are successful at this point you should hear a click or similar and it's time to try your key in it again and see if works the mechanism. Success? then put the front of the engine back together, be sure to be really careful not to pull or put any strain on the locking cable/mechanism, or you may just undo the work you've just done!

No Success? Then it's on to removing the locking mechanism to attempt the fix...

There's only two bolts holding the locking mechanism in place (I think maybe 12mm ones from memory), which you can see quite easily at the back of the unit itself. Before you take these off, you need to unclip the front part of the mechanism (the cable) and feed it forward so that it come away from the mechanism. This is easy enough to figure out, there are just two plastic clip either side of it that you need to pinch inwards while you pull it towards you and it will slide out. Then take the bolts off at the rear of the mechanism and it will then unclip from its seated position. Be careful when lifting it out as there is an electrical cable attached to the bottom of it that you need to unclip to remove the assembly completely.

Once you have the locking mechanism out of the car, you should have the two parts that have seperated and caused you this headache to begin with...

img1702rs.jpg

This is the part that has seperated! The annoying part is that the bit on the right has two flared parts of that plastic cross,as you can see in the picture, which need to fit back in to the matching part on the left. This can be a pain in the arse! I spent a good 25mins trying to get this back in trying not to damage or break it completely in doing so. Once I had gotten fed up I used some WD40 on both parts and then used a pliers to squeeze the flared parts of the cross in, before quickly pressing the part on the left back over the part on the right. I held it in place for a minute or two to let the flared parts resume ther natural position (which they thankfully did) and then checked the key in it. Success!

Once you have it re-attached and working, you just need to put it back into place on the car, being careful while you feed the locking mechanism cable and lock barrel back through the hole you had unclipped it from. Replace the electrical connector to the bottom of the locking mechanism and clip it back in to place. Replace the two bolts and replace the front grille (be careful to support the locking barrel and cable before you do this, you don't want gravity to undo your work before it is seated back in to the back of the front grille).

Before you go any further use the screwdriver you used initially to manually engage the bonnet mechanism and then try the key to see if your fix has worked and you can unlock it. If it has, then replace the slam panel and you're done! :)

If not, you may need to retrace some of the above steps and start over... :(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jgohara

Excellent Article. Well done. I have same problem with an 09 Focus. I was able to open it the first method pushing the grille and key towards the engine compartment.

Now I need to get at the mechanism. How do you remove the plastic screw like plugs which hold the grille and slam panel. Just turning them with a screwdriver doesn't work.

Thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You need to open then with a very light touch or try prise it up at the same time. Any downward force and it won't open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Use a Philips to twist and a flat head jammed in the side to provide lift otherwise the plastic screws will just turn like they are threaded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Sorry for bringing up a zombie thread, but has anyone the pictures from the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The user is still active so they may be able to provide more detailed pics. In the meantime I found some on foc.
    http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/35338-guide-to-fixing-common-focus-bonnet-lock-problem/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Hal1 wrote: »
    The user is still active so they may be able to provide more detailed pics. In the meantime I found some on foc.
    http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/35338-guide-to-fixing-common-focus-bonnet-lock-problem/

Thanks! I've seen that thread and read it multiple times but I still can't get into the fvcking bonnet. Timing belt is due soon and the window washer reservoir is empty.

Advertisement