Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If/when Schmidt goes, who will we get?

Options
  • 07-04-2013 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

Looking increasingly like this might be a sooner rather than later scenario.
    Phone call to Moylough, Galway ? I'd have Eddie's phone number at the reddie.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If Schmidt leaves Leinster I would want Jonno Gibbes to get the job

A backs coach would be needed and EOS would be someone that I would invite to send in a CV anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Jonno with maybe Girve or his BODliness yo coach the backs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

If Schmidt leaves Leinster I would want Jonno Gibbes to get the job

A backs coach would be needed and EOS would be someone that I would invite to send in a CV anyway.

+1 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Schmidt may want Jono on his ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Deccie Kidney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

Rightwing wrote: »
    Deccie Kidney.

Even Kidney wouldn't sink that low.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Rightwing wrote: »
    Deccie Kidney.

48649d1329599886-afraid-chanterelle-beer-yao-scared.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I trust Mick Dawson to find the right coach.

Though I would like to see Gibbes get a shot at it. A top quality backs coach would have to be brought in in that case.

Anyway, this is a tad premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,099 ✭✭✭✭phog

Kidney, O'Sullivan and Bradley are available. Too soon for Conor O'Shea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

phog wrote: »
    Kidney, O'Sullivan and Bradley are available. Too soon for Conor O'Shea.

In what way is it too soon for COS, too early as a coach or he won't leave his project just yet?

Ruddock would fancy his name to be in the hat surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Schmidt is doing one more year until the end of the season 2014 yes?

Cotters contract is up then for Clermont isn't it?

Would love to see him come over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well the argument is who Leinster will get if Schmidt goes to the Ireland job, so it would be for next year. Regardless, Cotter is off back to NZ once his contract is finished.

razorblunt wrote: »
    In what way is it too soon for COS, too early as a coach or he won't leave his project just yet?

Ruddock would fancy his name to be in the hat surely?

Conor O'Shea has indicated he's not going to leave Quins for Ireland, if he's true to his word and doesn't want to piss off the IRFU he's not going to leave Quins for Leinster.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Regardless, Cotter is off back to NZ once his contract is finished.

Has he said that? Damn.

• Administrators Posts: 53,573 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McLaughlin anyone?

Teferi wrote: »
    Schmidt is doing one more year until the end of the season 2014 yes?

I wouldn't be so sure, if I was a betting man I'd be putting a few bob on Joe to get the Irish job once this season is over for Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

O'Shea has a great thing going where he is, they will be HC champions within the next 2 - 3 years. Why would he leave that?

I wouldn't be so sure, if I was a betting man I'd be putting a few bob on Joe to get the Irish job once this season is over for Leinster.

Yeah I reckon we might see him as Irish coach but as the situation stands now he's doing one more year for Leinster - it would coincide nicely with Cotters contract end. Wishful thinking but there you go.

decisions wrote: »
    O'Shea has a great thing going where he is, they will be HC champions within the next 2 - 3 years. Why would he leave that?

To win successive Grand Slams and a World Cup with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I'd be one content rugby fan this summer if I heard Schmidt was taking over Ireland while Conor O'Shea was heading for Leinster.

While Schmidt is likely to be Ireland's coach I cant see O'Shea moving. Unfortunately, all of my top choices for the Leinster job are unlikely contenders, O'Shea, Cotter, even McKenzie. As mentioned earlier Gibbes, and Feek for that matter, would likely be part of Schmidt's ticket so it's unlikely someone will be promoted from within.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    McLaughlin anyone?

Shut you up! We want him preparing the playersof the future for Ulster and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Leinster rugby cite the "Wayne Smith" philosophy on their coaching coarse.

When leinster were last looking for a coach he was part of the NZ coaching ticket.They picked Schmidt because he was the closest they could find that mirrored that style.

He isn't part of NZ set up any more and not sure if he has any of the head coaching jobs in NZ (he might be technical adviser or something)
    Reckon he would be pricey but if Leinster are losing Schmidt the IRFU might free up the funding.

Personally i would be happy if Ireland went for Smith and left Schmidt at leinster. World cup winning coach,top notch CV

FrannoFan wrote: »
    He isn't part of NZ set up any more and not sure if he has any of the head coaching jobs in NZ (he might be technical adviser or something)
    Reckon he would be pricey but if Leinster are losing Schmidt the IRFU might free up the funding.

Personally i would be happy if Ireland went for Smith and left Schmidt at leinster. World cup winning coach,top notch CV
    Assistant with the Chiefs has turned down a number of offers from top clubs and countries (I've heard that he has a sick parent or something and he doesn't want to move)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Assistant with the Chiefs has turned down a number of offers from top clubs and countries (I've heard that he has a sick parent or something and he doesn't want to move)

Thats a pity, was surprised he wasn't being linked with more of the jobs. serious CV. Head coach all blacks,2 super titles, 7 years assistant coach with NZ etc.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Thats a pity, was surprised he wasn't being linked with more of the jobs. serious CV. Head coach all blacks,2 super titles, 7 years assistant coach with NZ etc.
    Well when you turn down offers of England (assistant) and a number of head coach jobs (Tahs and Force) word gets around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

decisions wrote: »

You reckon? I really think Quins flatter to deceive.
    They're an awfully long way from threatening for honours in the HEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Heroditas wrote: »
    You reckon? I really think Quins flatter to deceive.
    They're an awfully long way from threatening for honours in the HEC.

Simply don't have the depth to compete nor the cash to change that. They were rattling along fine until the 6N broke their momentum. They don't have others to come in and change the game or up their performance. Now they're out of the HEC and have lost their last three AP games in a row. Season hanging by a thread. If they lose their next AP match, they will probably drop from the playoff spots.

They did well in the AP last season when Robshaw was the only one gone. Now they have Care, Robshaw, Brown and Marler all gone and they've badly struggled with the disruption. They didn't have the LV Cup knock outs and HEC to fight which they did this season. They've simply run entirely out of steam.

Flatter to deceive is the phrase I'd use, definitely. They're a strong side until the going gets really tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

While Biarritz were a tough enough draw, they also had Connacht and Zebre in their group. With all due respect to both Connacht and Zebre, it wasn't the toughest of draws.
    I doubt they would have qualified from some of the other groups

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Conor O'Shea has indicated he's not going to leave Quins for Ireland, if he's true to his word and doesn't want to piss off the IRFU he's not going to leave Quins for Leinster.

Conor O'Shea regurlarly ridicules the IRFU for being amateurish in how they run the game in Ireland. I think he could care less about pissing them off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Isa Nacewa will do Leinster one more service and recommend yet another head coach. The last one didnt do too badly.........

Advertisement