Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service Log

Options
  • 07-04-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently bought a car from a dealer, they said the car would be serviced but when I was driving it home, a notification on the dash said "Washer fluid low". Not a big deal, I filled it up myself, but wouldn't it be standard procedure to check the washer fluid during a service? When I was home I had a look through the car manuals and noticed there wasn't any log entry for the service in the service manual... should I be suspicious about this? In fact, there are only two service entries: one at 17k miles and one at 25k miles. It's now on 60k miles... is it possible (or even legal) to service a car and not fill in the manual? Is there any way to 'prove' if it was actually serviced? If it hadn't been serviced from 25k-60k wouldn't the engine be wrecked?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

dutopia wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently bought a car from a dealer, they said the car would be serviced but when I was driving it home, a notification on the dash said "Washer fluid low". Not a big deal, I filled it up myself, but wouldn't it be standard procedure to check the washer fluid during a service? When I was home I had a look through the car manuals and noticed there wasn't any log entry for the service in the service manual... should I be suspicious about this? In fact, there are only two service entries: one at 17k miles and one at 25k miles. It's now on 60k miles... is it possible (or even legal) to service a car and not fill in the manual? Is there any way to 'prove' if it was actually serviced? If it hadn't been serviced from 25k-60k wouldn't the engine be wrecked?

For most places that are selling a car servicing means
    "we changed the oil". It may well have been serviced between 25K and 60K, you just don't know.

I doubt the engine is wrecked and more than likely it did get some sort of service.

Having gone around this loop with used car garages, you'd be best off bringing it to your own mechanic, get him to throw an eye over it. If he spots anything major wrong bring it back, if not drive on.

It may well be worth getting your own mechanic to do a oil change if your not sure it was done. I would also get him to check the timing belt, if this car has one.

Most used car garages once they sell a car they never want to see it again, and you'll just spend more time/effort trying to chase them up, than its actually worth in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

For most places that are selling a car servicing means
    "we changed the oil". It may well have been serviced between 25K and 60K, you just don't know.

I doubt the engine is wrecked and more than likely it did get some sort of service.

Having gone around this loop with used car garages, you'd be best off bringing it to your own mechanic, get him to throw an eye over it. If he spots anything major wrong bring it back, if not drive on.

It may well be worth getting your own mechanic to do a oil change if your not sure it was done. I would also get him to check the timing belt, if this car has one.

Most used car garages once they sell a car they never want to see it again, and you'll just spend more time/effort trying to chase them up, than its actually worth in the long run.

Hmm, I see. Shouldn't a service be: Change oil, replace filter, washer fluid, check brake pads, check tyres etc? Maybe I'm being a little naive here but besides the NCT highlighting a problem a service is the only way to maintain a car and extend its life. I'd expect if a garage is selling you a car they at least have the responsibility to perform this maintenance properly. If not, what good is a garage? They're just taking a car and passing it on like a private seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hmm, I see. Shouldn't a service be: Change oil, replace filter, washer fluid, check brake pads, check tyres etc?

Yes that what it should be, but very rarely is, in the used car business. I'm sure there are used car dealers out there that would do all of the above, but they are few and far between unfortunately.

I'd expect if a garage is selling you a car they at least have the responsibility to perform this maintenance properly. If not, what good is a garage? They're just taking a car and passing it on like a private seller.

Obviously you do have some come back, unlike a private seller, but you'll find in practice it can be very hard to get issues sorted.

Yes that what it should be, but very rarely is, in the used car business. I'm sure there are used car dealers out there that would do all of the above, but they are few and far between unfortunately.

Obviously you do have some come back, unlike a private seller, but you'll find in practice it can be very hard to get issues sorted.

That's true. I found out after I purchased the warranty that it's with another company... not the garage I bought it from. The whole thing just comes off a bit sketchy. I mean, it's not like you're buying a second-hand games console... you're forking down thousands of Euros and you'd expect they wouldn't sell something without checking it over. Again, I'm probably a bit naive about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Philip82

What dates were the first two services??? How many owners on the book??? Irregular services that you have there as well (17k then only 8k) If the car was serviced by a main dealer the service would be on the dealers system and may not be printed on the book.A quick ring to the main dealer where the first two were carried out would confirm this for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not getting at you but would it not have been better if you did all this checking before you handed over the cash. Would you not have looked at the service history, queried it? And then made a decision on whether to buy.
    It sounds like were indeed very naive and if you have not been caught out, you have been lucky. As you said, you are handing over a large amount of cash so it pays to check everything before buying as that is the only time you have the upperhand over dealer. Once deal is done, you will struggle to get anything out of dealer.

Philip82 wrote: »
    What dates were the first two services??? How many owners on the book??? Irregular services that you have there as well (17k then only 8k) If the car was serviced by a main dealer the service would be on the dealers system and may not be printed on the book.A quick ring to the main dealer where the first two were carried out would confirm this for you.

The two services have a gap of a year between them and there has been two owners. They're stamped by Ford Airside which I imagine is the dealership the original owner bought the car from, and no dates marked in with the second owner. I will give them a ring, thanks.

mickdw wrote: »
    Not getting at you but would it not have been better if you did all this checking before you handed over the cash. Would you not have looked at the service history, queried it? And then made a decision on whether to buy.
    It sounds like were indeed very naive and if you have not been caught out, you have been lucky. As you said, you are handing over a large amount of cash so it pays to check everything before buying as that is the only time you have the upperhand over dealer. Once deal is done, you will struggle to get anything out of dealer.

Yes I agree. I just don't have that much experience buying a car and didn't think of checking those things; basically the things I would expect a garage to have done (services & history) I didn't query and everything else about the car I checked (motorcheck.ie history), checked interior and exterior etc... So yes I agree and won't make these mistakes the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hi all,

I recently bought a car from a dealer, they said the car would be serviced but when I was driving it home, a notification on the dash said "Washer fluid low". Not a big deal, I filled it up myself, but wouldn't it be standard procedure to check the washer fluid during a service?

I don't know really, but for me washer fluid is just everyday use thing which I care myself to fill up, the same as petrol.
    On bad weather I might be filling up washer every day.
    I definitely wouldn't treat it as service item.

CiniO wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't treat it as service item.

Well I would expect it to be refilled as part of even the smallest service. If they didnt check that, what else did they not bother to look at?

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Well I would expect it to be refilled as part of even the smallest service. If they didnt check that, what else did they not bother to look at?

It all depends what people understand under wording "service".
    I never actually try to use this word, instead I just ask mechanic do to certain job - oil, oil filter, front wishbone bolt.

I wouldn't be happy if someone filled up my screen-wash, as it's actually unknown what they put in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Philip82

The two services have a gap of a year between them and there has been two owners. They're stamped by Ford Airside which I imagine is the dealership the original owner bought the car from, and no dates marked in with the second owner. I will give them a ring, thanks.

A one year gap between the services is good anyway. Also when you ring them I would always ask if the car had been brought in for any other kind of work, they would usually gladly tell you, it might be nice to know if your car has had parts upgraded or replaced. Oh and if it was in for something make sure you ask what date it was and what did the odometer read at the time, that way you will be happy that thereis nothing suspicous with the mileage!!
    One more thing, you mention the cars mileage in miles and not kilometers, is the speed dial clocked in miles or kilometres???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I never actually try to use this word, instead I just ask mechanic do to certain job - oil, oil filter, front wishbone bolt.

I wouldn't be happy if someone filled up my screen-wash, as it's actually unknown what they put in there.
    'Service' does have a very specific meaning, it's just that the meaning varies by car/age/mileage. For example, changing the cambelt & tensioners is part of the 100k km/5yr service on many cars. Refilling the washer fluid will always be part of a service, as will other basics like making sure the important parts work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Thats all fine and well if you know what you are talking about and know what needs to be done. For most people a service means the basic maintenance and checks; oil, filters, plugs if needed etc. It also means checking things like washer fluid levels (which in fairness takes all of 30 seconds and should be part of any service) and checking for bulbs. Basically the things the "average" motorist doesnt know how/want to know how to do to their car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

When I started working in the garage as an apprentice we were told to fill the washer bottle, check that the washers were working and re direct the nozzles (jets) if they needed to be. Takes a minute to do but can makes someone's driving experience a lot easier. Also told to check the levels on serviceable batteries as part of standard service. What I have noticed about cars coming in for nct that have been serviced recently is that the majority of garages don't seem to check tyre pressures.

Anan1 wrote: »
    'Service' does have a very specific meaning, it's just that the meaning varies by car/age/mileage. For example, changing the cambelt & tensioners is part of the 100k km/5yr service on many cars. Refilling the washer fluid will always be part of a service, as will other basics like making sure the important parts work.

I went through my car manual recently, and afair over the list of jobs at certain mileages I didn't see washer fluid refill.

Anyway - service books and schedule usually is used when car is relatively new.
    I don't know anyone with 10 year old car to go to garage and service it within service book requirements (at least not in Ireland).

I went through my car manual recently, and afair over the list of jobs at certain mileages I didn't see washer fluid refill.

We know its an item that also needs topping up by driver also but its quite likely that the schedule would call up a fluid levels check anyway.

Advertisement