Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gumshield for 6year old.

Options
  • 07-04-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

If anyone has any tips on how to get a 6 year old to fit a gum shield please share!
    I bought the GAA recommended one I think its for 7-12 year old, I don't think they make them any smaller. The problem i find is that to get it really soft it needs to be really hot- which my 11 year old is fine with but my 6 year olds mouth is more sensitive to the heat, as well as that she dosn't have the same strength in her jaw to bite or suck the gum shield so its just not moulding.
    Is anyone else having the same problems with their younger kids?
    Any recommendations to suitable gum shields for younger players?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think a dentist would be the best place to ask, but I can understand not asking for a dentist for a 6 year old and baby teeth, I'm guessing something like this. Besides that you could ask in local Martial Arts places I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Found a place that sends out a kit and 'putty' and make the gum shield out of that. Hopefully that'll solve our problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

IMHO it is a money making racket

it should not be in force up to the age of Under 12 and primary schools games

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

madon wrote: »
    Found a place that sends out a kit and 'putty' and make the gum shield out of that. Hopefully that'll solve our problems!

Could you post details of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    IMHO it is a money making racket

it should not be in force up to the age of Under 12 and primary schools games

Kids start to lose their baby teeth from 6 on. Losing an adult tooth at this age would be a big job to get any kind of replacement done. Also the cheapest dental work of this kind is ~€800, while a proper dentist moulded gum shield for an adult is ~€100 and a good one for a child is €10-20. I think that any cost/benefit analysis shows it to be a very good idea.

• Advertisement

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    Kids start to lose their baby teeth from 6 on. Losing an adult tooth at this age would be a big job to get any kind of replacement done. Also the cheapest dental work of this kind is ~€800, while a proper dentist moulded gum shield for an adult is ~€100 and a good one for a child is €10-20. I think that any cost/benefit analysis shows it to be a very good idea.

as a teacher and coach of kids for years, I've never seen a child lose a tooth from football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I heard from coaches and trainers that for the younger kids, they have to cut the mouth guards to get them to fit. The six years olds cant even talk when wearing them, total overkill. Should be from 12 years up.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    Could you post details of this.
    Its a place in Navan http://www.gumshieldpro.ie/ we don't have it so I don't know what they are like but will let you know once i order. We emailled and they did say that we would probably have to get a new one every 3 months as she grows. I think there is a few places that do this, I think there is somewhere around Donaghmede too.
    I heard from coaches and trainers that for the younger kids, they have to cut the mouth guards to get them to fit. The six years olds cant even talk when wearing them, total overkill. Should be from 12 years up.

I found when we cut hers to size it was still slipping but was small enough for her to swallow and get lodged at the back of her throat. I think I would rather see her lose a tooth than choke on a gum shield!
    Its all to do with insurance I think, I can't see why I can't sign a disclaimer or something along those lines. She plays rougher out on the street than she does on the GAA pitch more chance of her loosing a tooth there.
    In saying that I'm glad my 11 year old is wearing one, there is more contact once they get that bit older, harder played balls coming to them, and he has his adult teeth, I'd really notice a difference from the football they played last year- so yeah u12's up seems more appropriate to the rule.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ireland has one of the highest sports related oral injuries in the EU - average cost of repairing the damage is €214.23. If you are not wearing a gumshield at the time of an injury, then you are not covered by the player insurance scheme. Thats the reason why it was brought in - it is a bit silly for players under 12 where the gumshield take up their entire mouth, but unfortunately no one came up with that exception to the rule

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ireland has one of the highest sports related oral injuries in the EU - average cost of repairing the damage is €214.23. If you are not wearing a gumshield at the time of an injury, then you are not covered by the player insurance scheme. Thats the reason why it was brought in - it is a bit silly for players under 12 where the gumshield take up their entire mouth, but unfortunately no one came up with that exception to the rule

If you are opening a discussion on the cost of professional services in ireland go ahead, but in fairness your costs are more to do with overpriced dentists and creaming the insurance system than anything else. The GAA has imo pandered to insurance companies and vested interests and allowed them to dictate how clubs are run in recent years, especially during mr cooneys reign at the top. Beaurocracy and insurance costs are crippling clubs. This latest one is the latest in ridiculous directivesfrom hq.......as someone already said iI've been involved in coaching playing etc since the early 80s and never seen a 6 8 or 10yr old damage teeth. There is probably more chance of a child choking on an ill fitting mouthguard if you ask me....

OP sorry for hijacking your thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Our club arranged for a dentist and dental technician to visit the club on a Sat morning and take impressions for custom fitting. I believe there were over 100 who took up the offer. Cost was €40.00. I have spent €20.00 on Doctor Shock guards for my son who is 10 and they get loose over a period of time, they also lose them!!!!

The custom fir guard in his choice of colour seems to be minded better and he says he does not know its in when playing. I see it as a good investment.

I still say its bull

and a money making racket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

I still say its bull

and a money making racket
    Its neither bull nor a money making racket and can stop injury and save hundreds and maybe thousands of euro in dental fees. gumshields should have been made compulsory years ago

ormond lad wrote: »
    Its neither bull nor a money making racket and can stop injury and save hundreds and maybe thousands of euro in dental fees. gumshields should have been made compulsory years ago

I'll be bringing a motion to my club to limit it to under 14 up only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

All for Gumshields !
    2 years ago i had to bring my then 13 years old to the dentist in emergency following a primary school football match. OUt of the 10 kids ( all under 13 ) on the pitch 4 of them got a mouth injury. Loose teeth , broken braces , open lips etc ...within 5 / 10 minutes of the start.
    I usually go to all my kids matches but didn't to this one because of work commitment. Thinking about it now , it was better for me not to be there otherwise :mad: :mad: ......
    Will not name the Galway school involved in this vicious attack against our kids but they know who they are. Funny enough the 4 injured lads were the 4 best in the team. We complained to the GAA board , the other school's principal , to the referee on the day ( who was from the village of the other school :eek: ) to no avail. Nobody cared.

Anyway i know i am a bit of topic but i think gumshields are a good idea. Better spend 10 or 20 quids now that 100s in dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

I'll be bringing a motion to my club to limit it to under 14 up only
    why do something as mad as that? Mental decision. Gumshields protect people from bad injurys and are not a bad thing.

ah sure ! wrote: »
    All for Gumshields !
    2 years ago i had to bring my then 13 years old to the dentist in emergency following a primary school football match. OUt of the 10 kids ( all under 13 ) on the pitch 4 of them got a mouth injury. Loose teeth , broken braces , open lips etc ...within 5 / 10 minutes of the start.
    I usually go to all my kids matches but didn't to this one because of work commitment. Thinking about it now , it was better for me not to be there otherwise :mad: :mad: ......
    Will not name the Galway school involved in this vicious attack against our kids but they know who they are. Funny enough the 4 injured lads were the 4 best in the team. We complained to the GAA board , the other school's principal , to the referee on the day ( who was from the village of the other school :eek: ) to no avail. Nobody cared.

Anyway i know i am a bit of topic but i think gumshields are a good idea. Better spend 10 or 20 quids now that 100s in dentist.

should be covered by school insurance so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

yes the cost was covered but the pain wasn't .

ah sure ! wrote: »
    yes the cost was covered but the pain wasn't .

but but but you were complaining about the cost of dentists?

as I stated earlier, this is complete overkill from the GAA.

are they compulsory in Aussie Rules?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

It's not a money making racket. You can buy a boil n bite guard for €2.00, hardly going to break the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Gum Shields are as much about minimising concussion as protecting teeth/gums in kids. Have a look at a good gumshield and you will be able to see the pads that help soak the impact of a blow/fall to the chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dzer2

Got gum shield for all mine at rugby club for 2 euro cut to size and put in hot water got them to bite down and then into cold water. No need to break the bank for the smaller ones and then got better quality ones for the older ones. Its a great idea as it gets the kids used to the idea from an early stage. I know a child lost his front teeth off a trampoline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

I've been told that mouthguards can help in the prevention of concusssion also . Not sure how accuarate this is. Obligiatory for mni and Youth rugby from age 6 up.

Advertisement