Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guilty secrets - so you just HAD to buy another ?????

Options
  • 07-04-2013 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

I have to admit I have a fetish for cooking stoves, I need 2 may be 3 but I've actually got 11 (more if you include hexi stoves) and there are still a couple more I'd like to have.

It would be much the same for oil lamps and pressure lamps I have far too many but if I see another thats a bargin I've just got to have it :(

Now I can't be the only one that goes OTT for on some survival items so what have you far to many of to justify and still want more? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Knives and flashlights are my down fall I have about 15 different Victorinox (99.9% of the time I carry the same one) 18 Medium/Large folders 8 Medium/Large fixed blades and 10 Mora knives Have a list from Heinnie.com that ill pick up bit by bit

Flashlights Ive 4 different maglites 4/2 C/D cells 7 Led lensers 4 Petzel Head lights and about 20 different cheap flashlights

A little bit of a problem with multi tools too 2 sog 2 leatherman 1 victorinox 1 gerber and 3 keyring leatherman and 2 keyring gerber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I have **** loads of cheap throw away multi tools from lidl and aldi, i buy a few every time they are on sale. They are ok to leave in the car ect as a backup incase i lose the leatherman... I have 2 in my van for work, one in my jeep one in my bag with my hunting gear, one in my desk in work and a few more just about the house.

Feel like that with my guns too so am increasing my collection but thys for a different forum unfortunatly....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Bags for me. Surplus bags, gas mask bags, small rucksacks, large rucksacks, bumbags, I've recently expanded into pouches :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Bags for me. Surplus bags, gas mask bags, small rucksacks, large rucksacks, bumbags, I've recently expanded into pouches :rolleyes:

I've advanced from bags long ago and I'm now into boxes! Everything I've got has to fit into box of some kind for storage, I've not bought any in a while but I do have hundreds of plastic boxes of various kinds. My excuse is that here by the sea if its not plastic it rusts, rots or just falls to bits so all those stoves, amongst other things, have to be stored somewhere. Its always a massive bonus when I can find a bag that fits an item before it goes into a box ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

Guilty of all the fore mentioned at one stage or another and I still lose the head every now and then and have another impulse buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Knives and lights and bags and first aid kits.

What I've done lately is pack different "mini kits" into smaller zippered pouches, so my aid bag is modular and can be chopped and changed depending on what I imagine I may come across.

I have it roughly divided up into burns kit, blowout kit (compression dressings and pads), trauma kit (pads and bandages), comfort kit (plasters of many sizes and steri strips). A few random bits like my CPR Mask, tapes of various widths, wet wipes and tissues, a tooth kit (mainly clove oil and a small vial for storing teeth in) and for my own family use some meds. like painkillers, some spray on plaster/aloe gel/antiseptic cream and antihistamine cream.
    I have soluble aspirin for suspect heart problems and all the kits have nitrile gloves in, and there are more in the bags.

Some of the kids little padded lunch bags and some packing cubes from Amazon, tape labels, and a new bag to put the stuff into :D

The mention of first aid kits reminds me of one of my tool overstocks which nearly came in handy today. Strange to have a pair of electricians wire cutters in the daily carry bag next to the first aid kit but when the dog grabbed hold of a discarded fishing line as I was picking it up today and got a hook stuck in his mouth I nearly had to use them.

We live by the sea and fishing line and hooks are a fact of life so I have wire cutters handy because the only way to get hooks out that have got in is to cut them just behind the barb and then pull them out. Also a very handy quick way to get anything free that's got tangled up in mono-filament fishing net and line and on the beech where everything can be covered in sand and grit its also handy to cut cordage up to about 5mm which can save a good knife blade for a better use.

In the dogs case I was lucky the hook hadn't gone in as deep as the barb so came out easily (it was just sticking into his cheek - lucky escape).

Needles to say I have more than one or two pairs of wire cutters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Granite Head

I have gone through a spate of poncho buying - mainly surplus (and two of each). I now have German, Austrian, Dutch and Swiss. Currently the Swiss (Alpenflage) is my favourite, but it is more akin to a rain jacket than a poncho.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Lots of lights, knives and maybe it is a sign of age but lately I have started to accumulate hand warmers!

I have gone through a spate of poncho buying - mainly surplus (and two of each). I now have German, Austrian, Dutch and Swiss. Currently the Swiss (Alpenflage) is my favourite, but it is more akin to a rain jacket than a poncho.

You can't just post that without also posting a review of them in our Equipment Reviews / Questions about equipment thread :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement