Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Wakes

Options
  • 07-04-2013 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

An old friend of my father died a couple of days ago, he was an elderly gentleman 83 years of age. I work with my Dad so we both went to the wake this evening, I always get freaked out in these situations as I don't like viewing a dead person, there's something about the coffin and the silk sheet drape that freak me out.

After we paid our respects we headed into the kitchen where a full blown session was raging. I stayed a while before heading into town to meet up with friends. I've just rang my brother a couple of minutes ago and both he and my old man are still partying at the death house.

Many traditions have gone by the wayside in modern Ireland, but the Wake session must still remain. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Plenty of them here in West Clare still anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Deadly buzz alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

How are you still able to write?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Some people don't know how lucky they have it.
    Haven't had an ole wake in a long time. That's the way to go out. Let the party begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Drink innit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

First one I remember struck me as an odd way of keeping the family busy by taking care of everyone's needs rather then sitting around grieving, now I've noticed everyone gets drunk and has a chat with every family member of the deceased as they come to refill the glass.

A strange experience but communal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is going to be in my will. I believe in heaven so I'll be grand, I want people to absolutely rip the place up at my funeral, Project X style. Nothing would make my soul feel like more of a legend than if people were still reminiscing years later, saying "God, do you remember Paddy's funeral? What a f*cking night!!!"

Would it be inappropriate to suggest something like Beautiful Day or Human as my funeral song?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Haven't seen people sniffing snuff at wakes in years.
    Come on people, I want my snuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Haven't seen people sniffing snuff at wakes in years.
    Come on people, I want my snuff.

Yes old school Irish. It's rare to see snuff these days. Keening is another Irish tradition that doesn't seem to be carried out at the wake anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Both my parents died at home so in both cases they were waked in the house, it's still common enough around here (I live in a rural area) if someone dies at home.

Yeah people had a few drinks but there was noone drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Yes old school Irish. It's rare to see snuff these days. Keening is another Irish tradition that doesn't seem to be carried out at the wake anymore.

i keened my dog and i'll keen my family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Every wake I was at in Dublin was always a big session. I was at a wake in Donegal a few years back and I was very surprised to see zero alcohol being consumed. I asked another Donegal native about this and he said "No, you never drink at a wake out of respect".
    When I got back to Dublin, I asked my Dad about his experiences of wakes and he said "You always drink loads of whiskey at wakes out of respect".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I stepped out and she stepped in again, learning to dance at finnegans wake..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My mate and his wife went to wake, but were unsure which house it was in.
    They were driving slowly down the street when his wife said, that's it, how do you know says he, it's got your man in a coffin inside window says she.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

not yet wrote: »
    I stepped out and she stepped in again, learning to dance at finnegans wake..........

Oh dear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

not yet wrote: »

Remix versions are the best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Speaking of Wakes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I was at one for my aunt in Monaghan two months ago. I didn't want to go into the room with the body but as soon as we got there we were ushered in. Took my glasses of so I didn't have to see. Glad I did as my dad said she looked nothing like his sister, she was bloated and the cancer left her in a bad way. I said to my dad I didn't look and pointed to a picture of her ten years ago and said that's how I will remember her. There was no drink either.

We were only suppose to go for the night but ended up being three days there. Got to meet cousins I've never met and hear all the old stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I'd rather a few jars be had than everyone sitting around awkwardly with a corpse the only topic of conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Every wake I was at in Dublin was always a big session. I was at a wake in Donegal a few years back and I was very surprised to see zero alcohol being consumed. I asked another Donegal native about this and he said "No, you never drink at a wake out of respect".
    When I got back to Dublin, I asked my Dad about his experiences of wakes and he said "You always drink loads of whiskey at wakes out of respect".

Been at wakes in Donegal where there was copious amounts of whiskey drunk.

Maybe they do things differently at the other end of the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my fav scene from Fr TED

containing my fav line....."we'll see him in the next world"

"oh ya sure" :D classic

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Eh? that's what wakes are for, giving the deceased a sendoff, I want people getting hammered at mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

krudler wrote: »
    Eh? that's what wakes are for, giving the deceased a sendoff, I want people getting hammered at mine.

I'd love people to have a grand old session at my wake. It's a great way of celebrating someone's life, and saying goodbye.

What I would hate is an open coffin. I know I won't be around to care, but the idea completely creeps me out. People looking at my corpse ... and maybe even touching or kissing it ... eeewwwwww!!! I've my friends and family well warned that it will be a CLOSED coffin, or else I'll haunt them forever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

best solution..cremation

and they could play ashes to ashes by David Bowie in the background

I'd love people to have a grand old session at my wake. It's a great way of celebrating someone's life, and saying goodbye.

What I would hate is an open coffin. I know I won't be around to care, but the idea completely creeps me out. People looking at my corpse ... and maybe even touching or kissing it ... eeewwwwww!!! I've my friends and family well warned that it will be a CLOSED coffin, or else I'll haunt them forever!!

Yes I think I might be a closed casket affair also. I've very simple wishes, I want no funeral Mass said, no removal or anything. I want to be buried in an RCC graveyard, I want a brief ceremony at the graveside, a Priest to say a few words to immediate family only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

What is keening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Yes I think I might be a closed casket affair also. I've very simple wishes, I want no funeral Mass said, no removal or anything. I want to be buried in an RCC graveyard, I want a brief ceremony at the graveside, a Priest to say a few words to immediate family only.

All I care about is that it's a closed coffin. Beyond that, they can do what they want with me! Despite the fact that I'm an atheist, it'll most likely be a Catholic funeral with all the works. I'm OK with that - it's not about me, it's whatever will give my family peace, and if that means that my body will be buried in a Catholic graveyard, and some unknown priest will spout loads of lies about me, then so be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

best solution..cremation

and they could play ashes to ashes by David Bowie in the background
    Or " Highway to Hell" by AC/DC, with the local PP doin air guitar and instead of a decade of the rosary,"Seasons in the abyss" by Slayer. And lots of great Irish whiskey.:cool:

Keening is an old Irish tradition of hiring some oul biddy to start wailing and crying,just to make it look like the deceased was actually loved and missed, from the Irish "caoineadh" to cry.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    What is keening?

Have you never heard of keening before? It's a vocal lament, basically crying and wailing by the coffin, it's an old Irish tradition exclusively practiced by women. There would be a select group of keeners in each Parish. Another function they served was to prepare the corpse for burial, they'd also watch over it on the night before the coffin is sealed and moved to the church.

The undertaker profession has more or less finished this aspect of their service.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

it was replaced by planking.

Advertisement