Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longpigs On and On

Options
  • 07-04-2013 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

For any Richard Hawley fans, prior to Pulp, he was guitarist in The Longpigs. Anthology due April 29th.

Looking forward to this, saw them in Nottingham circa 1997 and they had a couple of good songs. I recall them being out of the ordinary Britpop sh*te. Hopefully time and nostalgia haven't dulled the senses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

While the sun is often out is a great album seing as they had only one other album, its disapointing follow up I dont see the need for an Anthology a re-issue of the sun if often out would propably be more appropriate.

Still their first album was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Second album "Mobile Home" was even better in my opinion, very much trip hop , Portishead sounding. From a marketing point of view, the second album effectively killed Longpigs career, not that the cracks were starting to show. There was a grueling tour were the band were supporting Suede on the back of "Sun is Often Out" in the USA and there was in fighting to some extent which didnt help in the long run. I have a lot of their singles and rarities that were released, a lot of their b-sides were as good as their official releases.
    First album was cracking, "Lost Myself", "She Said" "On and On" all fantastic songs, be interesting to see what the anthology comprises, hopefully some live stuff and early demo's. Would love to see the band reform, they were above the brit pop crap of the early to mid 90's......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

went to see them in the olympia back in the day (specifically because I was a big Embrace fan and they were supporting on their first Irish appearance) The lead singer was a bit annoying though. He was nearly a slappable as the other Crispi(a)n!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Fantastic band, saw them a few times in the nineties, mostly in glorified Student Union gigs around central England. Have to disagree about Crispin Hunt, he was just wasted most gigs I saw, but still put on a brilliant show, a fantastic live band, I saw them tour with Embrace too, and a band called Octopus who were as high, if not higher, than kites.

Atmosphere used to be electric. Personally prefer their first album, but still happily listen to either on a regular basis. Have their autographs somewhere from when they played the Roadmender in Northampton

/nostalgia.:o

Incidentally, good little Q and A with Crispin Hunt here:

http://www.raggedwords.com/features/interview/ragged-heroes-1-longpigs-crispin-hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Now Octopus is a blast from the past, your smile springs to mind. Was adrenalina the b-side? Always preferred that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Frito wrote: »
    Now Octopus is a blast from the past, your smile springs to mind. Was adrenalina the b-side? Always preferred that.

Not sure, think you could be right. I loved their case for their CD album, it was a mini boardgame with little cardboard pieces and everything, think I have lost mine now which is sad.

whenever I think of Octupus I then think of Tiger. saw them on one of those nme awards tours in redbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭paulbok

Sweetie, was that ^ with Symposium and 3 Colours Red? Can't remember the 4th.

paulbok wrote: »
    Sweetie, was that ^ with Symposium and 3 Colours Red? Can't remember the 4th.

twas indeed - the last one was Geneva (wikipedia)
    ended up on the piss with symposium and A in lillies after a symposium gig in whelans the follwoing year. I went to the two bratbus tour following years aswell - good times.

Advertisement