Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving ranges near Cork City?

Options
  • 06-04-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi, could anyone recommend a driving range near Cork City, I am a beginner and was looking for opinion on maybe the best range to suit etc. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Blarney? Only 10 mins drive from the North Side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Frankfield is pretty good as a range. Just off the Kinsale Road Roundabout. But don't bother with the golf course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

There's one down off the Carrigaline Roundabout heading for Ringaskiddy on the left. Don't know what it's called though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭big_drive

Inniscarra is close enough to the city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    There's one down off the Carrigaline Roundabout heading for Ringaskiddy on the left. Don't know what it's called though.

Carrigdhoun Driving Range is that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭spokesman

Great stuff..thanks for all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Fermoy driving range and East Cork Driving range if you're in Middleton/carraigtwohill area.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Frankfield is the one I attend, handy location and grand facilities as well as outdoor practice ground too. Have never played course though and never will.

Frankfield is the one I attend, handy location and grand facilities as well as outdoor practice ground too. Have never played course though and never will.
    Hi, I have never been to Frankfield yet, why would you not try the course there? just curious.

I've been to the Innishannon driving range, which i think is a fine job, giving my limited experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigDog101

Frankfield is a great range, large outdoor and good indoor area. Been using it the last few weeks. Didn't realise there was a practice ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

spokesman wrote: »
    Hi, I have never been to Frankfield yet, why would you not try the course there? just curious.

I've been to the Innishannon driving range, which i think is a fine job, giving my limited experience.

I've never heard anybody say anything good about the course, the general comment is that you need one leg shorter than the other as it's so hilly. Innishannon range is fairly good too

I've never heard anybody say anything good about the course, the general comment is that you need one leg shorter than the other as it's so hilly. Innishannon range is fairly good too

I see..not good so. Thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Hi lads,

My game is in rag order and im in cork staying near the airport. Where is the nearest/best range??

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

The nearest is Frankfield, very good bays, new mats in recently. No public short game area.

The best practice area in Ireland is the Fota Academy

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Cool, thanks i'll pop to frankfield so, poor ould fota would have to close after me based on my recent turf cutting form :(

Do you hit off grass in frankfield or what way is the set up there since the course closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭golfer79

big_drive wrote: »
    Do you hit off grass in frankfield or what way is the set up there since the course closed?

Large outdoor area where you play off grass from about March to October with multiple bays, estimate 30/40 perhaps. Indoor area also available all year long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭daithi7

Blarney driving range is pretty good too, if you're looking for one that side of town.

Interestingly they've introduced a 3k running trail there also (on grass& trail), which is a pretty neat innovation.

Is the one in Blarney gone?

I passed there this evening and it seemed there was some barrier up there. It didn’t seem to be operating as a range anyway but as mentioned above there was some kind of sign of a runner but driving past it didn’t give me time to take it all in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

Theres a new cork golf centre at inniscarra too just down from the powder mills

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »
    Theres a new cork golf centre at inniscarra too just down from the powder mills

Is that the same one that’s been there years just renamed?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭davegilly

Anyone know if the driving range at Fota is open to the public or do you have to be an academy member?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

davegilly wrote: »
    Anyone know if the driving range at Fota is open to the public or do you have to be an academy member?
    Thanks

Doubt it to be honest
    as their website states

Annual Membership fee is €800 which includes all new additional benefits including €40 free range credit per week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

davegilly wrote: »
    Thanks

Walked in one day looking to pay for a basket of balls for the range only to be asked by the fella in the proshop if was I going playing a round afterwards. Told him I only wanted to use the range and he said I couldn't use it then

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭davegilly

Walked in one day looking to pay for a basket of balls for the range only to be asked by the fella in the proshop if was I going playing a round afterwards. Told him I only wanted to use the range and he said I couldn't use it then
    Ended up at East Cork in Midleton.
    Figured out how to hit my driver. Golf is such a simple game after all.
    Success all round :)

Advertisement