Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wire

Options
  • 06-04-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I'm looking for wire with which to make sculpture. I used a silvery wire before that came out of an electricity cable - I think it was the earth wire - but I can't seem to track it down again.....everything is copper now as far as I can see. Anyway I need a wire that is silvery in colour, and not copper, not galvanised, and non-ferrous. Needs to be fairly malleable. I can't seem to find a decent supplier of various types of wire in Ireland either....

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The silvery wire you used was more than likely from armoured cable it's A1 grade flexible wire that has good non ferrous properties. You should be able to get it in any electrical suppliers and it comes in all thickness, or if you know anyone that works on the building, ESB or the scrap business they should be able to pick you up some offcuts.

fire-alarm-cables-b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Rtags

Great, thanks Fergal! I did go to one scrap merchant and he basically told me to get lost. Apparently I need a waste licence to buy from them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Rtags wrote: »
    Great, thanks Fergal! I did go to one scrap merchant and he basically told me to get lost. Apparently I need a waste licence to buy from them.

A scrap man that goes by the book :eek: that must be a first :D

Advertisement