Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stick with SNES/N64 or try Sega/sony?

Options
  • 06-04-2013 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

Dusted off an old snes and n64 recently and got them going. When I was a kid I loved those consoles. Played a little Ps1/2 in my day as well.

College/life etc distracted me from gaming and I've never played Dreamcast or Saturn. I've seen a lot on this forum in particular about the quality of games for both platforms.

I play a bit on the newer platforms but I'd like to catch up on the classics in the past that I've missed. I'll have a few days off soon and I'm thinking of either spending maybe €100-150 + buying more snes/n64 titles or changing direction and trying sega or sony.

I'm fairly familiar with the big games on SNES/N64 so there wouldn't be any surprises for me. Though I did see Majora's mask in Rage but I'd need an expansion pack.

So I'm looking for some advice, better to replay some quality nintendo, or take the plunge? I'm more a platform/adventure guy than a FPS/sports/racing.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you played through everything worth playing on the Snes? It's probably the best console ever made, so stick with it if you're limited as to what you can spend.

If I were in your position I'd pick up a Megadrive and a Dreamcast. You can get some of the best Megadrive games dirt cheap and most Dreamcasts will allow you to play CD-Rs out of the box :)

Personally I can't stand the n64 so would have to tell you not to waste anymore money on that monstrosity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

o1s1n wrote: »
    Have you played through everything worth playing on the Snes? It's probably the best console ever made, so stick with it if you're limited as to what you can spend.

If I were in your position I'd pick up a Megadrive and a Dreamcast. You can get some of the best Megadrive games dirt cheap and most Dreamcasts will allow you to play CD-Rs out of the box :)

Personally I can't stand the n64 so would have to tell you not to waste anymore money on that monstrosity :D

I suppose I would have played a lot more snes in my day and I've had a stab at most of the games I see in Rage and there's no real surprise factor there.

Hadn't even thought Megadrive, though Earthworm Jim and Shinobi are very tempting....:D

If I went the dreamcast road, what games would you recommend? Looks like it's a great platform for fighting games. Saw this video (http://youtu.be/PW3RYzxCB4A) that talked about Jet Grind Radio that talked about the lack of colour in some of todays games, that's kinda why I'm leaning towards the older consoles, I played the first level of Max Payne 3 and couldn't see a thing it was so dark! (WAaay off topic)

Is the saturn worth considering? I'm torn between exploring the platforms I missed out on, but if the games don't grab then maybe I'm better building up my SNES catelogue.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Might I suggest dipping your toes into the fresh waters of the Pc Engine /TG 16?
    Some great games there, lovely Shmups, platformers and arcade conversions.
    Owning a Sega Nomad is pretty good too.
    Do the screen and battery mod and you'll find your Megadrive /Genesis titles have new life when you are no longer tied to a tv and can play them anywhere you like.

The Dreamcast is a cracking machine but the titles that get most attention these days are either Shmups or arcade conversions of Shmups.
    With the demise of the DC a lot of it's exclusives found their way to other formats, Rez, Shenmue 2 for example.

A Famicom is a good buy, once it's AV modded, a member here has a beautiful one for sale right now.
    A massive selection of games in all genres and, with an inexpensive adaptor, everything on the Nes too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Saturn is a superb machine, the only problem is all the best games are japanese so it can be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Saturn is a superb machine, the only problem is all the best games are japanese so it can be expensive.

I found alot of NTSC-J games to be cheaper than the PAL versions (even factoring in postage), the only real expense is the Action Replay cart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There are also the hidden evils of mod chips and cakes of CD-Rs....
    But remember kids, piracy is wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I see your Wiggles, and raise you Robbie Rotten

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found alot of NTSC-J games to be cheaper than the PAL versions (even factoring in postage), the only real expense is the Action Replay cart.

A chipped japanese saturn ain't cheap, and you kind of need it chipped for the more expensive games unless you are richie rich.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Might I suggest dipping your toes into the fresh waters of the Pc Engine /TG 16?
    Some great games there, lovely Shmups, platformers and arcade conversions.
    Owning a Sega Nomad is pretty good too.
    Do the screen and battery mod and you'll find your Megadrive /Genesis titles have new life when you are no longer tied to a tv and can play them anywhere you like.

The Dreamcast is a cracking machine but the titles that get most attention these days are either Shmups or arcade conversions of Shmups.
    With the demise of the DC a lot of it's exclusives found their way to other formats, Rez, Shenmue 2 for example.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Hadn't heard of the Pc Engine/TG 16, how available would that be? From a quick look at adverts it looks like it would be quicker from me to get my hands on a dreamcast than a saturn. Any games in particular that I should be looking out for initially on the Saturn/Dreamcast?

As regards modding, really at the moment I'm looking to try out platforms that I missed out on back in the day. I'm aiming to use the few days off I have to play a few of the classic games from the past so all suggestions are welcome! It's more a time thing than a money thing really, I'd like to keep it simple and source the stuff from rage/adverts (I'm a bit lazy:) )

steve_r wrote: »
    It's more a time thing than a money thing really, I'd like to keep it simple and source the stuff from rage/adverts (I'm a bit lazy:) )

Good luck finding anything decent and cheap. For the Saturn and Dreamcast they have sweet FA that isn't priced out of a sane persons price range.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Good luck finding anything decent and cheap. For the Saturn and Dreamcast they have sweet FA that isn't priced out of a sane persons price range.

I don't mind paying them a bit extra, I like the fact that a shop like that exists, and I'll only have time to play a few games anyway, so if they cost a bit more then so be it.

Master of the Universe

I think what he means is Panzer Dragoon Saga costing €200+, Radiant Silvergun & Battle Garegga €100 each and so on! :D

Master of the Universe

Ah wait, I thought we were talking about the Saturn.

If you want to go the Rage route, then get a Megadrive and buy up some games in there. Probably the best option with regards return for money spent.

Plus the Megadrive isn't far behind the Snes in the 'best console of all time' running. It had a plethora of amazing games most people haven't heard of.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I don't mind paying them a bit extra, I like the fact that a shop like that exists, and I'll only have time to play a few games anyway, so if they cost a bit more then so be it.

Seeing as it's a timing issue and if those few days off are coming up soon then don't bother with ebay or the like. Just head into Rage and either pick up a few quality titles for systems you already have, or see what their prices are like for the Dreamcast or maybe the PS2? PS2 has bucket loads of quality titles. Should be a cheap enough system these days to pick up.

As for specific titles - I would just Google or Youtube "top 20 games for [console name]". Have a look at some game play videos and see if they take your fancy.

/Edit: You mentioned platform/adventure type games - a PS2 and copies of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus would tick those boxes nicely.

I'm not talking about the price more so the selection. The selection of saturn and dreamcast games they have is pitiful and the only games they have that are good are silly prices. The saturn is worse than the dreamcast in that regards, but it's still pretty bad. (100 stingers for shining the holy ark with no manual, jog on).

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Seeing as it's a timing issue and if those few days off are coming up soon then don't bother with ebay or the like. Just head into Rage and either pick up a few quality titles for systems you already have, or see what their prices are like for the Dreamcast or maybe the PS2? PS2 has bucket loads of quality titles. Should be a cheap enough system these days to pick up.

As for specific titles - I would just Google or Youtube "top 20 games for [console name]". Have a look at some game play videos and see if they take your fancy.

/Edit: You mentioned platform/adventure type games - a PS2 and copies of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus would tick those boxes nicely.

Yeah, I had a quick look on Saturday, the console prices are reasonable. I had been looking at the Ps2 but I'd say I could get most of the titles on The PS Store.

I'm leaning more towards a Dreamcast - would people agree with the games on this list? http://www.vgchartz.com/article/85650/top-ten-sega-dreamcast-games/

Jet Grind Radio and RE code Veronica are the two that are jumping out at me.

Master of the Universe

My favourite Dreamcast game is House of the Dead 2 - just to note that it requires a CRT for the lightguns.

There's some good games there except Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 which are god awful, time has not been kind.

I'd add Grandia 2, San Francisco Rush, Maken X and Bangai-O as amazing affordable games.

If you don't already own a ps2 you really should.
    The sheer amount of worthwhile purchases there, from Gradius V to MGS3, tons of cracking titles from little money to some rarer things for big money, not to mention the unheard of gems.
    And, sprite based game look well on it and polygon based games don't look pants.
    Plus a machine with games should come in at small money too.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you don't already own a ps2 you really should.
    The sheer amount of worthwhile purchases there, from Gradius V to MGS3, tons of cracking titles from little money to some rarer things for big money, not to mention the unheard of gems.
    And, sprite based game look well on it and polygon based games don't look pants.
    Plus a machine with games should come in at small money too.

I have a PS3 so my plan for the PS2 games was to get them through the PS Network, what are the quality of the ports like? I'd assumed that given that it's just the previous generation then it should be ok? I suppose that's the main reason I wouldn't buy a seperate console, but agreed price wise, and quality of back catelouge and availability its a serious option.

Do both systems age well in terms of reliability? My SNES works perfectly, the N64 a little less.

I know I'm asking a load of questions guys, appreciate the time taken to respond!

If you are just getting games off the PSN network then you are severely limiting your choice of games and the emulation isn't really the best on them.

Ask for old systems reliability they are mostly made like brick **** houses if they are cartridge based, the exception being the NES which usually needs a repaired pin adapter due to it's terrible design. If you N64 is a bit spotty with reading carts it's usually just the carts are dirt, just give the contacts a clean.

When you go to CD based systems it's a bit different. Sega systems are usually really well made as are Nintendo ones. Sony ones can be a bit spotty. Early model PS1's can be a disaster as well as early model PS2's, the lasers can fail pretty easy on them. Just make sure you have a late model PS1 and if you are worried about the PS2 just hard disk mode it.

Hi Folks,

Just to update this, I bought a Ps2 with a few games off adverts for €40. Not mad about the games (Max Payne, GTA LCS, Getaway, F103, Desert Storm 2, and Splinter Cell) but couldn't complain at that price! Plus its one of the only GTA games I haven't played. I knows its a not-well-regarded port but I'm a huge fan of the series.

Gonna head to Gamestop and Rage tomorrow and maybe supplement those ones.

I had my eye on a dreamcast on donedeal (€75, 12 games, 2 controllers, guns and keyboard) but someone beat me to it.

Anyway thanks for all the advice!

Master of the Universe

Yeah, none of those PS2 games would be top tier stuff.

Make sure you get ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, two of the best games ever made, not just best ps2 games :)

Also try to get Psychonauts while you're at it!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah, none of those PS2 games would be top tier stuff.

Make sure you get ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, two of the best games ever made, not just best ps2 games :)

Also try to get Psychonauts while you're at it!

Yeah, those are on my watchlist! Seems people hang on to the really high quality games, I rarely see games like that advertised, maybe its just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Liberty City Stories is by far my fave of the PS2 GTA games. Yes, it is a PSP game basically blown up, and it stutters like a hiccuping banshee at times, but that GTA III aesthetic combined with a lot of the perks introduced in SA and VC gets me every time.

Mind, I may be biased, as I played at a time where my PS2 games went bye-bye, and the PS3 library was a wasteland*; it was all I had for a few weeks.

*Yes, there was Resistance for the PS3, but this in no way contradicts my 'wasteland' point.

Yeah, I've seen video reviews that say the same thing, story great; game engine, not so much.

Still at least I'll know for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

The Way I look at the mega drive is if your into space shooter's, fighters/beatem'ups basically if you like arcade games it is one of the best for those range's it does have some good platformers but not as many to the snes, now I hand on heart prefer the megadrive better, though with a few exceptions ( super metroid).

Also you can get the master system converter and see yet again IMO why MS Is better then the nes.

Also regarding the Saturn it is very good you can get some great games dead cheap it's not gonna break the bank but like with all games there are ones that stay high, my personal fav is nights into dreams.

Regarding Dreamcast it's good but basically sega is a arcade company with a lot of the arcade companies going to them, (capcom,snk ect...)

Retropolis wrote: »
    The Way I look at the mega drive is if your into space shooter's, fighters/beatem'ups basically if you like arcade games it is one of the best for those range's it does have some good platformers but not as many to the snes, now I hand on heart prefer the megadrive better, though with a few exceptions ( super metroid).

Also you can get the master system converter and see yet again IMO why MS Is better then the nes.

Also regarding the Saturn it is very good you can get some great games dead cheap it's not gonna break the bank but like with all games there are ones that stay high, my personal fav is nights into dreams.

Regarding Dreamcast it's good but basically sega is a arcade company with a lot of the arcade companies going to them, (capcom,snk ect...)

I'll keep an eye out for a good megadrive with games deals alright.

In the meantime, I picked up Ico (€25) and God of War 2 (€15) at CEX, and GT4 (€10) and Soul Calibar 2 (€15) at rage.

They had sould Calibar 3 there for cheaper but am I right in saying that 1 &2 were the better regarded games?

• Advertisement

1&2 are better but you'd really want to be playing 2 on the Gamecube so you can play it with a non-lame extra character.

Advertisement