Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher

Options
  • 06-04-2013 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

What does everyone hear think of Rory Gallagher who is in my opinion one of the greatest blues players on earth.

Favourite albums and songs?

Personally I find Irish Tour and Calling Card to be his although everything he did was great(With the huge backcatalouge he left there is not a single bad song)

A great songwriter and singer as well as guitarist I must say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

What does everyone hear think of Rory Gallagher who is in my opinion one of the greatest blues players on earth.

Personally I find Irish Tour and Calling Card to be his although everything he did was great(With the huge backcatalouge he left there is not a single bad song)

Nailed it for me, love those albums. Depending on my mood I might through on Blueprint or On the Boards too. Amazing guitarist, blues artist, and person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

live in europe
    messin with the kid
    always wondered if the hendrix story was true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Love me a bit of Gallagher! Bad penny for me is such a quality tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

live in europe
    messin with the kid
    always wondered if the hendrix story was true

Apparently apocryphal. Still great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

well in my head its still true:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 cathal02

Rory has long been my favourite guitarist and musician. Favourite live album is Irish Tour and favourite Studio album is Deuce

• Registered Users Posts: 14 333joemc

Could have had a religion, one of my favorites! Tribute bands never seem to cover it for some reason, never heard it once at Rory Fest in Ballyshannon and i've been there about six times.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cathal02

333joemc wrote: »
    Could have had a religion, one of my favorites! Tribute bands never seem to cover it for some reason, never heard it once at Rory Fest in Ballyshannon and i've been there about six times.

I'd say the main reason for this is it's in an open tuning (think it's in open A can't remember off the top of my head), used to cover it myself but unless you have a few guitars handy at a gig it normally gets cut as that might be the only tune during the set in that tuning; though now I think of it, crest of a wave is in open A as well...that's a thought!

It's a great tune anyways. I think Bob Dylan cited 'Could have had religion' as his favourite Rory Song/Interpretation; they were due to record together which would have been interesting.

cathal02 wrote: »
    I'd say the main reason for this is it's in an open tuning (think it's in open A can't remember off the top of my head), used to cover it myself but unless you have a few guitars handy at a gig it normally gets cut as that might be the only tune during the set in that tuning; though now I think of it, crest of a wave is in open A as well...that's a thought!

It's a great tune anyways. I think Bob Dylan cited 'Could have had religion' as his favourite Rory Song/Interpretation; they were due to record together which would have been interesting.

Yeah that would have been interesting indeed, I read about it in a recent Rory bio. Apparently Dylan was recording an album of old blues songs at the time and wanted to record Could Have Had A Religion nor realizing Rory had actually written it himself.

RE: the open tuning, thats a fair point but there are a few decent tribute acts out there that always include a slide section in their set, Bull frog blues, Too much alcohol, in you're town, whose that coming (actually open G but can be played in A) all the same tuning excpt for a capo on the second fret for bull frog, could be the harmonica bit that puts them off either. I must go up and harass them about it the next gig i'm at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

The BBC Sessions double cd is my favourite (at the moment) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Legend.....

Probably Irelands greatest export (beside Guinness)

Kills me to see that Bonjo from that other band getting recognised for his 'musical' talent. Not to mention the money he makes these days..

Wouldn't be be good enough to lace his boots / string his strat!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cordragza

333joemc wrote: »

Our band "Deuce -a tribute to rory gallagher" played it in ballyshannon this year

cordragza wrote: »
    Our band "Deuce -a tribute to rory gallagher" played it in ballyshannon this year

Cool, I didn't make it up to Ballyshannon this year unfortunately, how was it received by all the discerning Rory fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

A Million Miles Away - the best slow blues song ever. His solo with bella Fleck on Amazing Grace on the Wheels Within wheels album is superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Unboxing of the new Irish Tour '74 set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I saw him once in Nov '93 in CIT as part of an arts fest. I am of the belief that this was his last ever public show in Ireland. Can anybody confirm this or correct?

I recall my disappointment learning beforehand that it was to be an acoustic only show. Rory obliterated that disappointment in first bar of the first number. I was blown away with the man's talent - a one-man rock n' roll machine.

For a Cork/Donegal boy he had one deep and sharp understanding of the soul of American music.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

topper75 wrote: »
    I saw him once in Nov '93 in CIT as part of an arts fest. I am of the belief that this was his last ever public show in Ireland. Can anybody confirm this or correct?

I'm under the impression it was. The topic came up once or twice with a few senior Rory fans I've met.

Can you remember the setlist??

The Irish Tour box set looks out of this world! I dont think I've ever seen as much effort put into a project of this depth.

Thanks wandatowell for that confirmation. It was sometime ago (21 years this month!) and I couldn't hope to rem a setlist. Bullfrog blues and Messin with the Kid were in there, and of course being were he was, Going to My Hometown on the mandolin. I just recall being impressed at how he could make his plugged-in numbers rock so hard on an acoustic guitar. Never really seen other big artist pull that off.

nelly17 wrote: »
    His solo with bella Fleck on Amazing Grace on the Wheels Within wheels album is superb

Was listening to this last night and it really is a delight of an album. I don't know why but when I first bought it I wasn't that gone. Your own mood at the time is always a factor in making an evaluation I suppose.

I love the medley with Bela in the Montreaux DVD. Pure americana!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

for me if i want a blast of Rory it has to be his Live music, the sheer passion is breathtaking

for me I love the run of tracks from the Irish Tour

crow \ million \ flies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭themountainman

Absolutely love this tune, show how versatile he is. Absolutely rocks that mondolin!
    https :// ww w.youtube.com/watch?v=zYYbK2sDaJ4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I see the Box Set above is on Spotify.

Good chance to listen to same before buying it (if that what u want)

I'm happy to play through Spotify on the pc!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Live from shepherds bush 1976 old grey whistle test, to my ear the best thing he ever did on tape, out on the western plain i will never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RoryGMan

Well, my favourite album 'Irish tour 74', favourite song 'A million miles away'.

Other than that I love listening to his many live recordings / bootlegs, especially the ones from gigs I attended meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I remember getting a tape in 5th year of Secondary School with Tattoo and Against The Grain on each side. They're still my favourite albums of his!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RoryGMan

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I remember getting a tape in 5th year of Secondary School with Tattoo and Against The Grain on each side. They're still my favourite albums of his!
    Also fine albums indeed. With Huddie Ledbetter's 'Out on the western plane' the 'Against the Grain' album is a gem amongst Rory's LP's.
    Btw. on both mentioned albums there were 2 bonus tracks on each cd. Had to buy them because my vinyls lack those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Saw Rory in December 1990, Wolverhampton. The gig was poorly attended, but he gave a stunning performance, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dorethy

I love Rory, I especially love his studio work. The sheer skill on the likes of say "Race The Breeze" are really something. (Rory, Rory, RORY!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

Taste Isle of Wight footage to be released this year!
    Probably see Slob Geldof in the audience haha.

I've been listening to the Taste debut quite a bit lately, his singing is brilliant on it.Raucous blues grumbling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement