Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Mirroring on Netgear GS108T

Options
  • 06-04-2013 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi

I am having trouble getting this to work on my home LAN.

When I configure the port mirroring src and dst ports, the eth NIC on the pc connected to the DST port just stops working.

It has a fixed IP with GW/DNS set, and when I move the eth cable to another port the interface works as expected.

Now I am not sure if this is because the Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit doesn't support promiscuous mode, or perhaps there is another setting on the GS108T that I am missing. I would have thought tho, that if it is a "promiscuous" issue with the NIC, then it should still work, but not capture any packets via Wireshark.

I am new to smart switches and may have incorrectly configured it, but the doc instructions seems straight forward, albeit a bit "thin". Or am I missing a point alltogether? :) My workstation does only have the one NIC installed.

Any advice would be appreciated
    Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What exactly are you trying to do? Why do you require port mirroring? It's a strange request for a home network

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MidnightHawk

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What exactly are you trying to do? Why do you require port mirroring? It's a strange request for a home network

Strange? Perhaps.

But for someone, at home, to have...
    .. 12+ devices connecting to the LAN
    .. Two routers, WNDR3700 for main LAN; WRT54G running DD-WRT for guest services (the latter to moderate bandwidth)
    .. 2 Raspberry Pi's
    .. a NAS in the attic with 6TB of storage (mainly for my XBMC setup)
    .. a Dell server running ESXi, with 4 VM's (both Linux and Windows)
    .. various switches running CAT5e
    .. a new shiny Netgear GS108T smart switch
    .. and other bits and bobs floating around, I guess not that strange.

I just like to tinker, I suppose. That's why.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

If any of your switches are managed like Enterasys etc. you should be able to mirror out to a port on those.
    If not you would need to get one or borrow a Juniper/Cisco
    You could also try a Mikrotik

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MidnightHawk

The switches I have are your typical 8-port desktop unmanaged switches, hence the acquisition of the GS108T-200 to help me to define QOS and the like ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Should just buy a decent router, QOS is only effective on the gateway as this will be where the bottleneck is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Not a bad switch by any means but no mirroring of traffic by the looks of it.
    If it was me I would concentrate on setting up SNMP and monitoring that by 'the dude' software or similar which would assist in monitoring your network.
    From customer experience mirroring also uses up a lot of resources.
    My own 'home' network is at 30+ devices and growing and the SNMP and 'the dude' features on mikrotik assist me in making sure its all ok.
    Haven't done any mirroring though but I am sure its possible on the mikrotik.

Advertisement