Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next Human Hardware/Software update?

Options
  • 06-04-2013 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

I don't think there has been an update in the last 100,000 years?

Like the ability to update smartphones , I think that it is inevitable that humans will be updated into better functioning and capable machines. Humans and technology will become more and more integrated. There might be a time when minds can be uploaded to Avatars? We maybe able to cure the diseases of old age? Merge our biological bodies with improved artificial parts?

I would like to be able to download every language and the knowledge of every musical instrument to my mind . I would like to have a body that detects a problem , similar to when a car light goes off when there is a problem.

What updates would you like to see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Boob guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The ability to select what memories you want to keep/get rid of would be sweet.
    Like in that film "Eternal Sunshine of a spotless mind"

Of course, alcomohol does do it to a certain degree I guess!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Small aestethically pleasing gills for shallow diving.

Regenerating limbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

donvito99 wrote: »
    Boob guns.

third boob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Pretty much everything in Ghost in the Shell. If it's just evolution you're talking about, teeth that don't fall out or get all fucked up. Toothcare is so expensive :(:( .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Something like "the beast" in the Father Ted episode with Chris the sheep would be good, minus the fear of stamps of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Pretty much everything in Ghost in the Shell. If it's just evolution you're talking about, teeth that don't fall out or get all fucked up. Toothcare is so expensive :(:( .

Definitely not talking about evolution. Evolution stills thinks we are all living in an Ice age where were are vunerable to being attacked by wild animals. Will update post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I was going to say regenerative cells, but then that'd mean immortality. I'd like to think my time was limited, that way I'm more motivated to make the most of it.

I'm going to go with bionic body parts. I know they exist already, but I'd like to see them refined to a point where it'd be impossible to tell the difference between them and real body parts.

I don't think we'll ever be able to design an artificial brain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

A wee bit of common sense. The ability to go through life without even thinking of killing a person.
    I could go on, but i need sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

shedweller wrote: »
    A wee bit of common sense. The ability to go through life without even thinking of killing a person.
    I could go on, but i need sleep.

Not needing sleep!

Such an uber-waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

I'd like to see an update with the removal of certain viruses such as that trojan skanger virus that's going around breaking into people's server rooms etc.

Maybe something that eradicates those little annoyances, like:

Something that stops me catching my foreskin in my zip......

Stops me bashing my toe off the corner of something......

Stops me from burning my tongue on the first bite of a meal and ruining it......

Stops me sticking a cotton bud too far into my ear....

etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

syklops wrote: »
    Not needing sleep!

Such an uber-waste of time.

But... but I like sleeping. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    But... but I like sleeping. :(
    I do too, but imagine the possibilities if we didn't need sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Something that stops me catching my foreskin in my zip......

Underwear?

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Underwear?

Pffft, underwear is for kids! :)

My point is mainly, something in built in our brain to prevent those stupid, small, silly crap from happenning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The next software update I'd like to see is the deletion of all the religion files in the minds of everyone.

It'll happen eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

A Human version of Sky + would be great! just for me, and me alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

shedweller wrote: »
    I do too, but imagine the possibilities if we didn't need sleep!

youd work longer hours Is all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

sxt wrote: »
    Definitely not talking about evolution. Evolution stills thinks we are all living in an Ice age where were are vunerable to being attacked by wild animals. Will update post.

OK, then after reading the update, I'll still go with everything in Ghost in the Shell. I desperately want that to be real. If life was Pokemon mixed with Ghost in the Shell, I would be the happiest sentient being alive.

I recommend watching Transcendent Man, for anyone wondering about human upgrades around right now. It's awesome. Plug me in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

third boob.

Adjustable boobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sxt wrote: »
    Not quite. Genetic changes/"upgrades" have accelerated markedly in humans in the last 12000 years, since the advent of farming pretty much. Ability to digest various foods for a start, but others too. We've certainly changed in the last 100,000 years. We've become much less robust, have smaller teeth and skulls and the like. Plus culturally we're upgrading all the time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Panthro wrote: »
    The ability to select what memories you want to keep/get rid of would be sweet.
    Like in that film "Eternal Sunshine of a spotless mind"
    On a serious note, would you really want that? If I knew there was something I had purposely made myself forget I would be driven crazy trying to find out what it was. Sometimes even bad memories are important to remember in being a better person.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We didn't upgrade the OS we just installed third party apps such as language, culture, technology, medicine and other cool stuff.

Unfortunately not everyone keeps their antivirus up to date, so yes we got rid of smallpox, but Europe still has measles thanks to one fraudulent doctor.

Some very visible changes in our skeletons recently
    how-forks-gave-us-overbites-and-pots-saved-the-toothless

Though we have worse teeth than people from the middle ages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not quite. Genetic changes/"upgrades" have accelerated markedly in humans in the last 12000 years, since the advent of farming pretty much. Ability to digest various foods for a start,
    How much truth is there in the story that the reason so many people west of the Shannon have rednecks is that Cromwell forced people to move into areas they weren't genetically adapted to ?

(yes I know the "to hell or to Connaught" was overstated.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Bionic eyes for the blind and visually impaired would be some job.

Prodigious wrote: »
    Bionic eyes for the blind and visually impaired would be some job.
    World’s first bionic eye approved by FDA, aims to treat blindness

At some point there, we left the present and entered the future

Example http://xkcd.com/652/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Nerves that have the ability to regenerate.

My worst nightmare would be paralysis from the neck down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The ability to crap out through your fingers. Think of all the uses

Advertisement