Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Crimson

Options
  • 05-04-2013 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

So I recently bought a copy of "In the Court of the Crimson King" after having vague memories of reading elsewhere that it is theconcept album. I'd heard 21st century schizoid man before and loved it so was wiling to take the plunge. Unfortunately, the day I bought it I didn't get to put it on when I got home, so alas kinda forgot that I'd even had it. Fast forward to tonight, herself is out having a few after work so I thought I'd throw a few records on while deciding what to do for the evening. After ploughing through a few albums, I remembered that I had INTCOTCK lying around somewhere, so said, "what the hell.... let's see what it's all about".

2 hours later and I can't stop listening to it. I'm genuinely on my 3 consecutive listen. This album is AMAZING! Every time on side ends, I just have to flip it over and keep on going. It is an absolute monster. From the spazzed out rock, to the sorrowful ballads, to the free jazz ambient noises, to the swelling orchestra numbers, this album is unbelievable! I can't remember the last time I was grabbed like this by an album. By now it's probably too late to head out, but I think this night has been well spent.

Any other King Crimson fans out there? Is the rest of their stuff like this? Or prog rock in general? Where should I go next?

Comments

Any other King Crimson fans out there? Is the rest of their stuff like this? Or prog rock in general? Where should I go next?

Their second album 'In the Wake of Poseidon' has it's moments but it's as if they were trying to re-make 'In the Court of the Crimson King'. Two of the lads who left the band after the first album, Ian McDonald and Michael Giles released a really good album called 'McDonald Giles', well worth a listen.

Wouldn't be a big fan of either 'Lizard' or Islands but 'Larks Tongues in Aspic' is great. After that 'Red' is up there with 'In the Court...' for their best album. The sound had changed a fair bit, along with the line up by then but it's class.

'Discipline' and 'Beat' are two decent albums as well, made in the 80's with Adrian Belew and Tony Levin. Once again it's a departure from the previous incarnation.

If you like Prog I'd suggest giving Gentle Giant a listen, especially their first two albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Superb band. The definitive Prog Rock band in many respects. They've had so many members and line up changes it's difficult to say which is the definitive lineup. They're one of those bands where you hear something different every time you listen to them such is the complexity of their sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've got a number of albums but not of their early era - the Adrian Belew era is where I am and this is why

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

Epitaph and I talk to the wind are both deadly.

Have only listened to Discipline and Three of a perfect pair beyond ITCOTCK.I'm not mad on the experimental parts of both,But there are some great songs on them.Matte Kudasai,Model man and three of a perfect pair are all great tunes but frame by frame is a cut above imo.

Red is a great track, there's a live version of them playing it with Tool knocking about as well:

Here's an 8-bit version of Schizoid Man, just because:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm listening to ZZTop Manic Mechanic and it just dawned on me that King Crimson could have written it at some point since the mid 80s!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

MM is a great track! I recall many times going into my favourite 2nd hand record shop in Brighton, where it was obligatory to look through every record they had.

They'd only have the covers in the racks, not the actual records.

I once asked if they had ITCOTCK (since every other KK record was there) and the guy said of course, they always have it, but the don't put the covers out as people always steal them!

Tis a superb album. That Mellotron must have been knackered afterwards!

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

If you're looking for a modern prog album with that King Crimson sound on it I'd recommend the new Steven Wilson record "The Raven That Refused To Sing and other Stories)"

It has the original King Crimson mellotron on it and Alan Parsons co producing and engineering. Sounds teriffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Plus the album kinda came about because Wilson's been remastering the bands first few albums and pretty much got inspired to do 'Raven...' as a result.

All iterations of King Crimson have some amazing moments, it really is worth taking some time to explore the band through the years. It's quite the sonic journey!

Advertisement