Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water issue. Bit of an emergency.

Options
  • 05-04-2013 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Hey folks. We are just getting over a week long water cut by DCC. Water came back on today. Its a small set up in the apartment. Ive got 3 "outlets"

Kitchen Sink
    Bathroom Sink
    Shower

All are hooked up the the Emersion.

Since the water came back on, Ive got full power on the cold tap in the kitchen. Half power in the cold tap in the bathroom and nothing from the shower.

Hot tap, Ive got maybe 1/4 power from the Kitchen sink, less than that in the bathroom sink and nothing from the shower.

I turned on the emersion for a few mins and whats coming out the the emersion is hot so water is getting through, but slowly. All valves under sink and on emersion are fully turned and on.

Freaking out as we have a weeks worth of clothes to be washed and a weeks worth of dishes to be washed. As well as ourselves!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

The pump from your tank to your taps isn't working. The cold at the kitchen sink isn't connected to the tank, it's connected straight to the main water coming in, that's why it's still working. Your washing machine should be connected to your mains water as well and so should still be working fine (I think so anyway).

It could be just the capacitor gone in the pump?

I'm sure a poster with more knowledge of these things will be able to tell you with more accuracy what's probably wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dupeters

hey it could be an airlock in the pipes. might be worth asking a plumber maybe just over the phone to start with.
    do you have a water tank that you can look into? ur bathroom cold water should come from a tank and maybe ur shower it depend but if u can find this tank it could be the ballcock isnt leaving water into the tank. hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Everything seems to be hidden behind the walls in here. Ive got a copper heating tank under the sink, that seems to be the main junction of everything. The shower is literally a head coming out of the wall. Theres no tank or anything. Im guessing its an airlock. Whats the quickest way to bleed the pipes and get the air out? Im useless at all of this to be honest, im completely winging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you have a pump that needs to be se-set.
    1. Ensure that you cold water storage tank is full of water.
    2. Disconnect the electric supply to the pump, some pumps are plugged in, others are wired into a fused spur.
    3. Leave power off for 1 minute.
    4. Reconnect power supply.
    Pump should re-activate after 3 - 5 seconds.
    5. Open bath taps for a short while to run any trapped air from the pipes.
    6. If the pump does not run at step 4, repeat 2, 3 and 4. But if it does not restart after 3 - 4 attempts it may need something replaced or you may have air lock problems.

you could try the pipe under the bathroom sink slighty open the cold water pipe (just the slightest of turns)
    you will either get water then it is bled or you will hear air.
    leave the air come out till you get water and close the joint again. might be handy to have an old towel or two for spills.

• Advertisement

are you in a 2 story or apt? you should try the highest point of the cold water system as the air will rise to the highest point, remember the kitchen is mains pressure so dont open this one!!!!!!!!!!

Im in a top floor apt. Proper old school South circular one. I see no pump or switches for one. There is no valve at the bathroom sink, at least no turner that I can see. im guessing the cold water tank is in the attic for all the apts? or should I have my own one?
    I have a towel wrapped in plastic tied to the hot tap and the tap on full to try and force water back into the pipes to remove the airlock. what are the chances of this working?

i would say slim to be honest. but if u look under the bathroom sink the pipe will either be copper or plastic but it will have a brass connector to the taps
    you should loosen this connector and check for air or water like we said this should bleed the system all this is on the cold water pipe in the bathroom sink

Im getting a little bit of cold water from the cold tap in the bathroom and a tiny bit from the hot. both die off after a few seconds of running. That would be normal for an airlock?
    I just found a vice grips. Ill try the bathroom sink thing. They are copper pipes.

its worth a try but it does sound like ur pump is either gone or needs to be reset are the other apts in the block ok?

• Advertisement

could the pump be located in the attic? and would it be one pump per apt or would I have my own one?

you should have ur own one but its up to the guys who plumbed it first day. might be worth asking the neighbours if theirs is ok?

Asked one of the neighbours, he said his is fine. Went up into the attic. Two giant black plastic water containers. One didnt look hooked up, but the other had 5 copper pipes connected to it, each one with a shut off valve. not numbered or marked in anyway.
    Pulled the gaff apart, no pump in here that I can see.
    Ill take a picture of whats under the sink for you.

can you see into the tank is there water in there?is it full or half empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

How old is your plumbing? How old is your appartment?
    Do you have a shared tank in the attic? This might need time to refill.
    Do you have a combi or a traditional boiler?
    More Info would aid a better answer :o

This is literally every connection in the apt.

Stuff looks old, cant see into the tank. Water has been back on since about 9am this morning though, should be full by now no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Firstly Professional Plumbers are Offered Web-Site Visual Perfection Completely For Your Working Convenience And Excellent Quality of Job-Lots You Get From PlumbTek Because We Supply The Information And Assurance Needed For Your Web-Site Visitors.

Plumb-Tek Interactive Marketing is About The Relationship Between You And Your Customers And to Build The Relationship And Achieve Your Desired Results From Your Working-Life As The Professional Plumbing Trades-Person You Really-Need The Joint-Partnership With Plumb-Tek

Because For You PlumbTek Was Designed By Experts In The Plumbing-Industry And Web-Design Interactive-Marketing Turn-Key Solutions Providing You With Plumbing-Leads Seamlessly Streaming Into Your New Web-Site Inbox. And That Is Really-Priceless.

What???

the tank in the attic is there water in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

almost certainly an airlock.

Given it is impacting all of your tank fed taps I would start at the tank end of things and work outwards from there.

no shortage of of suggestions online as to how to deal with it, but you may ultimately be looking at a plumber call out. I don't live a million miles from you and I can pass you the number of a part time chap who has worked for me who may be available. But it's not a glowing recommendation (i have found him dependable and reasonable) as there are no shortage of plumbers capable of remedying this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

bombidol wrote: »
    This is literally every connection in the apt.
    Picture 1 suggests to me (not inconclusively) that there is a tank in the attic, this will take time to fill, remember how many people have been cut off, if you doubt that it will be slow, add all the impatient people turning on taps 'Just to See'.

Ok, so I got this sorted .thanks for the help. Elbow grease and a piece of rubber piper. Blew the cold tap into the hot one for a few minutes. Had my first proper shower in a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

bombidol wrote: »
    Ok, so I got this sorted .thanks for the help. Elbow grease and a piece of rubber piper. Blew the cold tap into the hot one for a few minutes. Had my first proper shower in a week!
    Airlock sorted ;)

Advertisement