Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of going back to my club - after 9 years!

Options
  • 05-04-2013 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I'm 26 years old. I played Gaelic football for my club team from the age of 9-18, but I quit a year after going to college because I found it difficult to combine living away from home (college was two hour journey from home) and making the most of my life in Dublin with going back and giving the necessary commitment to play football to the standard I expected to.

I haven't lived permanently back home since going leaving back in 2004. Went to college, then travelled for a few years, and have worked in Dublin. In that time, I lost touch with people from home, from the club etc, as I was kind of doing my own thing.

I played football to a decent standard, and when I quit back in the day, I think a few people weren't too impressed with me just upping and going. In all the years that have passed since, I thought about playing again many times, but recently I feel what I can only describe as an overwhelming urge to rejoin my club, and put in a massive effort to try and play properly for them at some level again, before I get too old.

Why I'm on here is, I want to ask some advice as to what people would think of that. I know only too well that the club is the club, and not being around for 9 whole years isn't exactly part of the club ethic. I basically chose travelling/career ahead of football for a lot of my 20s, and while I don't regret that, I feel I have to make up for it now while I am still relatively young.

How would you receive someone like me coming back to your club, and has anyone got a similar story?

I currently live in Dublin, but could commit to the club now, to some extent, for the first time in a long time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Heard this type story a thousand times. Go back, you will be welcomed with open arms.
    Most likely the clowns that had a problem with you 9 years ago are no longer invilved themselves. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Just go back and join them.

Alternatively, join a different club in Dublin and your old club will be on the phone begging you to re-join them. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Go back and enjoy yourself, chances are you'll catch up with a loads of folks you used to be friends with and have a ball. Maybe start at a low level, i.e. Junior B before Senior, I know a guy who came back after a few years in my club and went straight into senior training, he couldn't walk for 2 days after doing the weight training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Go back, put in the effort and the rest will fall into place. You have keep your soccer and your rugby, they mean nothing in comparision to the feeling of belonging, that your Home club gives you. I went back to my club after 18+years and its the best decision I ever made. Those bonds and friendships are for life and cannot be bought and sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Go back, and I bet they will be delighted to see u return.
    Clubs around the country are struggling badly for numbers as so many are heading away. Bet your club wud love to have u back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 hould on hey

Just turn up unannounced at training ,tog out And train with The team , sounds Like you never played Much senior or even junior havng left at 17 or 18 so you may find The intensity hard for a couple of weeks until you get fit again. If you talk about it you Will never do it , I have seen this a thousand times lads Come And Go but The lads that talk about it never Come back. Best piece of advice I Can give is beware of The internal click. There is one in every club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Most definitely go back.

A few pals of mine that i played underage with but lost contact over the years came back when in their mid to late 20's and they loved every minute of it and they would now be my closest friends where as we probably wouldnt have even mixed had they not came back.

Ive retired from playing with the Club 2 years now and i still miss it, i miss the banter and the camaraderie. If i was you i would jump at the chance to go back.

Advertisement