Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using the polite form in German

Options
  • 05-04-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Germany during the summer and I just want to brush up on using the polite form, as I will be working in a summer camp with both adults and children. Am I correct in saying this:

I can use 'du' when speaking to children and friends
    I use 'Sie' when speaking to adults, people I don't know, strangers (such as if I'm buying a train ticket, ordering a coffee, etc)

However, if I become friendly enough with an adult, am I allowed to use the informal 'du'? If so, will they say "Sie konnen du sagen"? or what?
    Will they also use Sie when speaking to me?
    Or must I constantly use the polite form when speaking to adults?
    Also what do I use when meeting people who are around my age? I'm 19 so around that age group, is it okay to use the informal or...?

I probably know most of the above already but I just want to make sure in case I make anyone angry for being ignorant :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

If you meet people in your age group, I would directly use the informal 'Du', unless you are meeting some very posh crowd ;)

And then it depends on the gender (I'm the type of person who would ask a woman for permission to say 'Du'), the age (pensioners would prefer the formal 'Sie' all the time) and the situation (for example in a pub, where it is much easier to switch to 'Du')

Hope, that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

Lucario wrote: »
    I can use 'du' when speaking to children and friends
    yes
    I use 'Sie' when speaking to adults, people I don't know, strangers (such as if I'm buying a train ticket, ordering a coffee, etc)
    yes

However, if I become friendly enough with an adult, am I allowed to use the informal 'du'? If so, will they say "Sie konnen du sagen"? or what?
    yes they will, or you could offer it to them

Will they also use Sie when speaking to me?
    probably, although 19y is kinda in between. so both would be ok
    Also what do I use when meeting people who are around my age? I'm 19 so around that age group, is it okay to use the informal or...?
    yes, should be ok to use 'du'. except in a business meeting or similar set up.

in general the du/sie is not that important anymore.
    most people under 45y probably won't care too much (if you treat the respectfully in general).
    plus you are not german, so expectations are lower anyway :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Cool thanks for both of yer help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

d15ude wrote: »
    except in a business meeting or similar set up.

in general the du/sie is not that important anymore.
    most people under 45y probably won't care too much (if you treat the respectfully in general).
    plus you are not german, so expectations are lower anyway :cool:

Bang. Most of my time is spent using the "Sie" form, which is quite annoying outside of a working context when you slip back into it and start addressing people your own age with "Sie".

On the other hand it can also be used to express (faux) respect:
    Mit Verlaub, Herr Präsident, Sie sind ein Arschloch

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

also good to know, if you address a policeman with a friendly "du" you might get done for potentially hundreds if not thousands of a fine depending on your income.

Fines in germany are often as a number of weeks wages which is good as then rich folks get hit just the same proportionally as someone on the dole.
    A fixed Irish uk style 100euro fine to a person on 80 a week on the dole is VERY severe but for most folks it'd be manageable and for a rich person would be a fraction of what they'd spend on filling the Porsche every month !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

also good to know, if you address a policeman with a friendly "du" you might get done for potentially hundreds if not thousands of a fine depending on your income.

where is this coming from? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

anna.fun wrote: »

It's because the Policeman is one of the most respected persons in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Lars1916 wrote: »
    It's because the Policeman is one of the most respected persons in Germany.

Heard about this a few times myself. If one ever talks to me then I will speak in English as my German is too poor! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Thanks everyone! Also another question about travel expenses in Germany. I'm going to have to get a train(or plane, whichever!), from Bavaria all the way up to Grömitz in Schleswig-Holstein. I'm guessing this is going to be a very long journey but if someone could inform me on how much it would cost/take to get a train or whatever to there I'd really appreciate it. (Also I'll have to get a train BACK down the Munich airport then so a return trip would probably be better...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Thanks everyone! Also another question about travel expenses in Germany. I'm going to have to get a train(or plane, whichever!), from Bavaria all the way up to Grömitz in Schleswig-Holstein. I'm guessing this is going to be a very long journey but if someone could inform me on how much it would cost/take to get a train or whatever to there I'd really appreciate it. (Also I'll have to get a train BACK down the Munich airport then so a return trip would probably be better...)

http://www.deutschebahn.com/de/start.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

thats nothing to do with the topic in question, but if you are flexible and book well in advance then you should be able to travel off peak on the train for as little as 19euro.
    If you cant get it that cheap then PM me with the date you must travel and I'll trick with connections for you.
    anna.fun wrote: »
    Vague hiberno English at its best there!!
    If you mean "why" - then thats answered above.

If you mean "prove what you are saying", then heres an article about the punishment for various forms of insulting a policeman where it mentions :
    "und es ist sogar schon unzulässig, einen Polizisten nur zu duzen. Das kann eine Strafe von rund 600 Euro nach sich ziehen."
    http://www.welt.de/finanzen/verbraucher/article5274751/So-teuer-ist-es-Polizisten-zu-beleidigen.html

BTW, if you call a policeman an arsehole ("Arschloch") thats a fine of 20days wages, so basically a months pay and possible imprisonment on top.
    Really contrasts with Ireland where every scumbag muppet is causing hasssle with the guards week in week out and getting away with little or no punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Zurn

I will be insulted if you say "sie" to me. :D
    I am 38 and I don´t like, if people call me "sie".

Don´t feel confused about that. "sie" is correct to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Generally I found it safer to say "Koennen wir 'du' benutzen?" to an adult I have become friendly with!

Advertisement