Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is Lloyds Insurance to good to be true?

Options
  • 05-04-2013 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi I've recently just passed my theory test and I'm planning on getting a Polo but I'm a college student and insurance for young drivers is horrendous. After sifting through the internet I finally found an insurance for me that wasn't over 3000€. I found the insurance company through chill.ie called Lloyds that is a great price for me. But as they say if it looks too good to be true it probably is. I'm wondering has anyone been insured by them and are they good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Did you try McKeever O Callaghan? They're brokers too

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Hi

I was previously insured with Lloyds, the broker at the time was insure.ie . It was my first insurance too and went with them as they were cheapest, never had any problems with them .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Some might say that they're the safest bet at the moment. They're a huge insurer mainly in the UK but they operate on licence here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dublinjody

I got insurance through Chill.ie and I was insured with Lloyds. It was definitely the cheapest and I've never had any issues with them. I say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trevdaman

Thanks it's making me feel much more at ease. I was afraid after I bought the car and ring up the insurance they would then reveal some hidden extra I would have to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

3k? How old are you? I was paying 1800 on my own policy on a polo at 21 on a learners permit.

I'm with them at the moment (first car, learner). They were cheapest for me, too (through Chill).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I got insured with them extremely cheaply, through Chill.ie as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

€3000 seems very expensive, have you shopped around as I'm sure it has to be possible to find a cheaper quote than 3k!

As for Lloyds, they're a branch of Lloyds Bank and are the largest ship insurer in the world (they insured the Titanic, unfortunately) They're a hugely reputable company, in fact one of the oldest and most reputable out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,943 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

trevdaman wrote: »
    Hi I've recently just passed my theory test and I'm planning on getting a Polo but I'm a college student and insurance for young drivers is horrendous. After sifting through the internet I finally found an insurance for me that wasn't over 3000€. I found the insurance company through chill.ie called Lloyds that is a great price for me. But as they say if it looks too good to be true it probably is. I'm wondering has anyone been insured by them and are they good?

As with all contracts the only important bit is what's written down. The main thing I'd be worried about is the excess. But you need to go over the policy documents and make sure that you are happy with them, in case they have some silly clause that could potentially cost you.

• Advertisement

barura wrote: »
    3k? How old are you? I was paying 1800 on my own policy on a polo at 21 on a learners permit.

I'm just about to turn 19. The quote they gave me was 1945€

CJC999 wrote: »
    €3000 seems very expensive, have you shopped around as I'm sure it has to be possible to find a cheaper quote than 3k!

As for Lloyds, they're a branch of Lloyds Bank and are the largest ship insurer in the world (they insured the Titanic, unfortunately) They're a hugely reputable company, in fact one of the oldest and most reputable out there!

Yeah I checked everywhere and the were the only one that was under 3000€.
    The only other way is to get a cover with a parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

OP what other cars have you looked at? Or have you a Polo as is?

I've looked at a nissan micra and toyota yaris but I have my heart on a polo. There all both very good starter cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

trevdaman wrote: »
    I've looked at a nissan micra and toyota yaris but I have my heart on a polo. There all both very good starter cars.

You wont be saying that in a few months. I hate mine. Bloody 3 cylinder engine. Id go for the yaris.
    The quote you got is decent enough. Mine on a 1.2 L with a provisional for 18 months worked out at 2800.

Try put your parents on it as that sometimes reduces the premium. Also see if you can go named driver on one of your parents policies. Last time I checked, Liberty see no difference when it comes to the no claims experience if your policy is in your own name or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

The policy is probably a product called Asgard which is sold by Willis in Ireland through brokers only and is underwritten by Lloyds of London.

If it is its a fine policy to use to get a yrs no claim bonus under your belt. Excess is €500 for under 25s and its a no frills policy but it does the job because they have decent premiums.

Advertisement