Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it socially acceptable to bully high status individuals?

Options
  • 05-04-2013 3:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

If you earn a lot of money or are generally high status or you are an authority figure it appears to me that it is socially acceptable at times for people to bully you.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't have any particular anecdotes to recall but it's just the general impression I've gotten over the years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Has anyone else noticed this?

Strange question but nope, no one bullies me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Did someone steal your lunch money OP??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Thats the whole point of twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I was going to berate you for this post but noticed your post count. Have a nice day now. *shuffles off, cap in hand*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I agree. The rich and powerful are terribly oppressed.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

FTA69 wrote: »
    I agree. The rich and powerful are terribly oppressed.
    Hyperbole, that's not what he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Bullying is all about intimidation, can you actually intimidate somebody who has more power or authority than you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Good question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

orestes wrote: »
    Bullying is all about intimidation, can you actually intimidate somebody who has more power or authority than you?

Power and authority mean nothing when strangers are shouting in your face on a friday evening in a pub, giving out about decisions you mad in work last year. Rather intimidating, for anyone. (Gardai excluded, cause those lads don't take **** like that!)

discus wrote: »
    Power and authority mean nothing when strangers are shouting in your face on a friday evening in a pub, giving out about decisions you mad in work last year. Rather intimidating, for anyone. (Gardai excluded, cause those lads don't take **** like that!)

Even if we agreed that bullying is about intimidation it wouldn't mean that all instances of intimidation are therefore bullying. Intimidation can be random, but bullying is specifically targeted intimidation based on a personal dislike/hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

No. It's socially unacceptable to bully anyone, regardless of status.

Except Justin Beiber.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Seems to be acceptable but extremely boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh you can, You just have to get their permission first.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I sometimes have been accosted on the street by various proles and peons. The type of people who ring Liveline. I usually just give the ruffian a hard stare and they skulk away down some side street. Very occasionally I've had to admonish them with some harsh words, or dispense a solid kick to their filthy posterior.

awec wrote: »
    Hyperbole, that's not what he said.

Meh it's the thrust of it. If you're talking about bullying someone because they're an accountant or a guard well that's different. When it's referred to multi-millionaires, the business elite, bankers and politicians then accusations of "bullying" are a load of nonsense. This same load of rubbish came up at the time of the MacAntee suicide.

Iain Duncan Smith recently said he'd have no bother living on fifty pounds a week and as such there are petitions in circulation challenging him to do it as well as people generally calling him out on Twitter etc about being an asshat. Is that "bullying"? No it isn't, because government minsiters, the mega-rich etc aren't a vulnerable or threatened group so trying to portray anger toward them as "bullying" is a load of b*llocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Even if we agreed that bullying is about intimidation it wouldn't mean that all instances of intimidation are therefore bullying. Intimidation can be random, but bullying is specifically targeted intimidation based on a personal dislike/hatred.

So, are you telling me that a man, who roars at a politician in a pub on a friday night, is not "targeted intimidation based on a personal dislike/hatred."?

Answer on postcard plz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ask Shane Mcentee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

syklops wrote: »
    Ask Shane Mcentee.

He's dead.

discus wrote: »
    So, are you telling me that a man, who roars at a politician in a pub on a friday night, is not "targeted intimidation based on a personal dislike/hatred."?

Answer on postcard plz

I did say "even if we agreed that bullying was about intimidation",, I didn't say anywhere that my definition of bullying is the only one.

But using your example, no, I don't think somebody shouting at a politician in a pub is being a bully. I think they are clearly being an arsehole, but being an arsehole doesn't mean you're being a bully. Otherwise every instance of someone looking at somebody the wrong way could be considered bullying. You're ignoring the systematic nature and intention behind the actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I did say "even if we agreed that bullying was about intimidation",, I didn't say anywhere that my definition of bullying is the only one.

But using your example, no, I don't think somebody shouting at a politician in a pub is being a bully. I think they are clearly being an arsehole, but being an arsehole doesn't mean you're being a bully. Otherwise every instance of someone looking at somebody the wrong way could be considered bullying. You're ignoring the systematic nature and intention behind the actions.
    I don't think bullying has to be systematic or even constant. One instance of intimidating somebody can be bullying. Catching a public figure in a pub and shouting at them when they can't really defend themselves I would consider bullying .

Position of power at the time can mean a powerful person can be not in much weaker position at the time of intimidation. By no means can you consider this the same as somebody giving you a dirty look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I used to bully Tom Cruise but then Eamon Gilmore said I had to stop because he was going to come over and save the Irish economy.

Then he did.

So I stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Sergeant wrote: »
    I sometimes have been accosted on the street by various proles and peons. The type of people who ring Liveline. I usually just give the ruffian a hard stare and they skulk away down some side street. Very occasionally I've had to admonish them with some harsh words, or dispense a solid kick to their filthy posterior.

To dissuade the more audacious ruffian i make use of my cane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Meh it's the thrust of it. If you're talking about bullying someone because they're an accountant or a guard well that's different. When it's referred to multi-millionaires, the business elite, bankers and politicians then accusations of "bullying" are a load of nonsense. This same load of rubbish came up at the time of the MacAntee suicide.

Iain Duncan Smith recently said he'd have no bother living on fifty pounds a week and as such there are petitions in circulation challenging him to do it as well as people generally calling him out on Twitter etc about being an asshat. Is that "bullying"? No it isn't, because government minsiters, the mega-rich etc aren't a vulnerable or threatened group so trying to portray anger toward them as "bullying" is a load of b*llocks.

+1. Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I get it all the time from my older cousin Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ask Shane Mcentee.
    Sorry i dont know this story, how was Shane McEntee bullied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

It was during the red terror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Sorry i dont know this story, how was Shane McEntee bullied?

He was the victim of a hate campaign all because he supported budget cuts. He got a barrage of abuse on twitter, and even got text messages to his phone. One of them said "Have your family ready for a funeral", which he reported to Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm sure Bono lies awake and weeps in bed every night about being called a cunt by people he's never met.

He was the victim of a hate campaign all because he supported budget cuts. He got a barrage of abuse on twitter, and even got text messages to his phone. One of them said "Have your family ready for a funeral", which he reported to Gardai.

He represented a party that implemented savage cuts on ordinary people's living standards, people who were in a much more precarious situation than himself. He was a public figure that put himself forward into that sphere. It makes me laugh that politicians will champion policies such as cutting carer's respite allowance and then moan when they're taken to task on the likes of Twitter.

Now before people start p*ssing their pants, I'm not suggesting that threatening people's families over the phone is acceptable; it isn't under any circumstances. There is a very clear line there that shouldn't be crossed in that regard. But that having been said, the likes of a factory worker calling Enda Kenny a bolox on Twitter or whatever, or me calling Bill Cullen a w*nker on Facebook isn't a sign of some unjust and endemic campaign of bullying. That's simply hyperbolic nonsense to be honest.

Shane MacEntee killing himself was a tragedy, no doubt about that. But this notion that it was the baying mob of plebs who led to a good man killing himself is complete sh*te. There's no way it was as simplistic as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Jesus Christ just because somebody's rich doesn't mean they don't have feelings. I don't know the Ian Duncan Smith story so I'm not really referring to that but in general are you saying bullying rich/successful people/people in power is ok just because they're not in vulnerable position financialy? Not trying to put words in your mouth here but if that's what you believe it's pretty sick man.

Don't get me wrong I feel a lot more sympathy for people going through financial difficulties, homeless people, victims of domestic abuse, alcoholics, young single mothers trying to cope etc. etc. but we're all human, we all have feelings. Some people are asshats and it doesn't matter if you're rich or poor you have asshats in all walks of life.

Advertisement