Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wow or SWTOR

Options
  • 05-04-2013 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

hi everyone,

I have been playing wow since wotlk went live , it was the first time I ever played a mmo, at one point i was totally addicted to the game.I would either be playing it or thinking about playing it at all times. I was the Gm of a fantasic guild with a core group of about 15 players that are to this day still great friends.

With MOP now in full swing i became bored with the day to day monotony of all those dallies, espeicially when Blizzard keeps moving the goal posts. I find just as you get yourself geared Boom here is a new patch and a new teir set to collect.So i went in search of pastures greener.

I heard alot of good things about SWTOR and decided to buy it. I was glad to hear that you could choose to sub to it or F2P.I went F2P just to get a feel for the game.I found the game play slow with lots of glitches (boddies dead but still standing) that kind of thing.Also there is a massive chip on peoples shoulder when they find out you are F2P most wont talk to you or help you out or even let you join their guild .And also there seems to be huge hatred for WOW and the people that play wow. I found in general the community of players that play SWTOR to be very obnoxious , rude and unhelpful to new players.(if you are F2P that is)Maybe if i was sub it would be a different story.

I know there are many draw backs in WOW but ever since the first day i played it the majority of people will help if asked, are quick to explain stuff and beg people to join their guilds.Obviously there are going to be trolls on both games but imo i found the wow experience to be a much more pleasant way to spend my time and money.

Anyone have any opinions on this? i'd like to hear what SWTOR players who switched to WOW thought of the general game play and the community there.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

As with any MMO that isn't WoW, it is going to be overrun with people who bitch and moan about WoW before realising that most of what apparently makes the current game 100x better than WoW actually makes it worse.

I enjoyed leveling a character in SWTOR and found the character quest storyline to be fun, but what I want from an MMO is endgame raiding content and that is where SWTOR failed for me and made me go back to WoW.

Granted, most other MMOs I have played, I haven't actually reached level cap before getting bored. There is probably another MMO out there whose endgame content I would enjoy more, but nothing has yet to hold my interest long enough for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

If what you're looking for primarily out of a game is endgame content then realistically you're as well off to stick with WoW. To be honest I've never understood why people come to recently released/comparatively newer MMOs and somehow expect them to have as much endgame content (and focus on that content) as WoW currently does. It's logically impossible. I've yet to play a game where the endgame gear-treadmill was not in effect either.

I can't really comment on how subbed players react to F2P players in SWTOR as I've only just returned to the game after taking a break from just after the game went F2P (didn't like the restrictions). I know that F2P players can't join a guild unless it was founded as an F2P Guild so that might be why you couldn't join.

As for players being openly rude/abusive/hostile to new/F2P players that's a surprise and a pity, and definitely wasn't my experience when I was playing. What server were/are you playing on when it happened? Can you give me examples of the kinds of responses you saw or why the occurred?

WoW-vitriol is pretty common in any MMO, it goes hand in hand with people complaining a game isn't enough like WoW for their tastes, I ignore both and am happier for it. I will say that I've found it doesn't occur spontaneously, usually it's in response to someone posting something relating to WoW and the less mature elements spiralling it out of control. Some players (either because they've left WoW due to poor experiences or never played it) tend to get rubbed the wrong way when people start using WoW-based terminology to try to make themselves understood ("What class/build is closest to Arms Warrior?") and react badly. There is sometimes also an elitism/superiority complex among hardcore WoW players that can be distasteful when they play other games.

Can't comment on SWTOR players who switched/switched back to WoW from SWTOR. I played WoW for a few months after Cataclysm launched and just found it pretty same-y compared to other MMOs I'd played (perhaps a case of Seinfeld is Unfunny) albeit with more content. I play SWTOR more for the story content than endgame too.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wylam

In reply to zeitgeistglee.

I think that SWTOR might have moved on quite a bit since it went F2P. As far as i can tell F2P peeps can join any guild its just down to the guild members weather they want them in their guild or not. Tbh i cant remember the name of the realm that i joined , but coming from WOW I took it for granted that I would meet the same type of gamers on SWTOR.I was wrong by a long shot. I found it to be quite the opposite of your statement of wow players having an elitisum /superiority complex. The opinion from the general chat channels suggested to me that wow was full of children being bank rolled by mammy and daddy to buy the latest mount lol. As one guy put it "it's a childish fantasy game made for people with little or no IQ who couldn't comprehend the complexities of a (real science fact based game). The discrimination of the F2P peeps i found to be quite distasteful , as you probably know there are alot of restrictions on F2P accounts which is how the people on chat can spot you when u ask questions. for instance my friend made me an epic sword but un-knonw to me it was not usable to F2P players, when i linked it in chat and asked why i could not use the item, i was trolled to the point where i just logged off for the night. The sub's view it as they are paying for the development of the game and the F2P are freeloaders.I found there to be very little interaction between players while questing /leveling. No one will whisper you asking for help they will just either spam trade endlessly with LFG messages or you are bombarded with invites while in certain area's.When you join a group there seems like there is no set roles for people to do, every one just seems to run around doing their own thing and constantly wiping.

Now I found the game had one thing that WOW is missing and that is a linear story line to follow. Most people have not read the reems and reems of WOW lore and dont know all the in's and out's of it's history.To players that are new it's just a grind till you hit 90 and on your first time my god is it a grind.There will be good and bad in any game and maybe if i started playing SWTOR before i played WOW i'd be on here fighting for the other side lol.I was lucky i found a nice community gamers guild that have a guild of some sort in all of the major MMO's.Nice people and good to help out if you need them.Atm i'm taking a break from all mmo's as i dont have the time, once i hit 90 on 3 characters in wow i got a bit sick of it maybe ill go back to it again some time im not sure but i know i wont be back to play SWTOR any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

guild wars 2 is fantastic. lacks end game raiding though if thats your thing

They are the same game really. Although WOW gives you the opportunity to be able to create more Alien characters then Star wars . :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

If you want a wow-esque game with good endgame content then try out rift.

You can play for free for the first 20 levels and new content is being released every few weeks.

I enjoy rift allot more than wow and I know allot of other people who feel the same but others who do not. You won't know until you try it.

Look up a few game videos on youtube and get a feel for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

If you want end-game raiding, WoW really is the only option. If PvP is more your thing, go for Guild Wars 2. Other than those two, I havent ever played an MMO that I've enjoyed enough to stick at long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

RodgersLFC wrote: »
    If you want end-game raiding, WoW really is the only option. If PvP is more your thing, go for Guild Wars 2. Other than those two, I havent ever played an MMO that I've enjoyed enough to stick at long-term.

I wouldn't quite break it out like that, there is quite a bit element of pvp in wow. Its not as jump in as play as GW2 is but in ways its a little bit more team structured, well more team structured aligned to the holy trinity of mmo (DPS/Healer/Tank).

GW2 on the other hand is more support orientated, personally as i play healing class i couldnt get into the game as much but if i was a player that loved to dps in pvp GW would be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Calhoun wrote: »
    I wouldn't quite break it out like that, there is quite a bit element of pvp in wow. Its not as jump in as play as GW2 is but in ways its a little bit more team structured, well more team structured aligned to the holy trinity of mmo (DPS/Healer/Tank).

GW2 on the other hand is more support orientated, personally as i play healing class i couldnt get into the game as much but if i was a player that loved to dps in pvp GW would be ideal.

Yeah i didnt mean to dismiss PvP in WoW completely but it can be quite unbalanced and frustrating for some classes. I like Guild Wars 2 approach because theres no designated healing or dps classes. Every class has a self healing mechanic as well as their dps spells. Its a nice change to playing the likes of WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wylam

I have done quite alot of pvp in wow but being on ally means we rarely win unless you are in a pre made group.If you are just in a random bg you never get and healing and if you're healing in a random you never get and protection so as said above it very very frustrating and i find myself loosing interest in pvp quite quickly.

I think my main issue is that Wow was my very first MMO and i played it for quite a long time and nothing else, so when ever i try to find a new game i never give it enough time to grow on me as i always start thinking " i could be grinding rep for a new piece of gear or helping my guild with a raid " or something to that effect.And the new game gets forgotten about.But as in my op i did find a massive difference between the attitude of the gaming community on SWTOR when compared to my realm on wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

wylam wrote: »
    I have done quite alot of pvp in wow but being on ally means we rarely win unless you are in a pre made group.If you are just in a random bg you never get and healing and if you're healing in a random you never get and protection so as said above it very very frustrating and i find myself loosing interest in pvp quite quickly.

I think my main issue is that Wow was my very first MMO and i played it for quite a long time and nothing else, so when ever i try to find a new game i never give it enough time to grow on me as i always start thinking " i could be grinding rep for a new piece of gear or helping my guild with a raid " or something to that effect.And the new game gets forgotten about.But as in my op i did find a massive difference between the attitude of the gaming community on SWTOR when compared to my realm on wow.

Well i think in this case GW2 might appeal to you a bit more its allot more random play friendly than wow is. Wow loses out as allot of the time unless you have like minded folk in bg you need premade groups to make an impact.

In guildwars 2 you can heal yourself for the most part, anyone can rez and there is more benefits to helping others than letting them die.

Advertisement