Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat or Focus?

Options
  • 05-04-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello,
    Have been searching the forum and found some good advice, was hoping you could help me further.
    Am looking for help on buying a 2nd hand family car, €5-7k range. We probably drive in or around 10k a year.

We are thinking either a 2006 passat 1.6 fsi, or perhaps an '06 ford focus 1.6 (we are looking at a Ghia), both petrol.

Would anyone have recommendations for choosing between the two? I have read on another thread that the Passat can be quite sluggish.

Are there any other similar cars in this price range you'd recomend over these?
    Any advise appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The Passat is a bit on the slow side, but on the other hand it has way more space than the Focus and is a class ahead of it in terms of refinement, fit and finish.

If you do a lot of motorway driving or drive on secondary roads where you generally over-take a lot then the Passat isn't for you, but for normal driving it is ok, the 6 speed gearbox helps matters.

As for other options don't discount a Jetta, although they only come with the 1.6 8v engine rather than the FSI and can be a bit hard on petrol.

Also don't forget the Avensis is available in 1.6 form, though they are just as slow as the Passats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I have a Ford Focus GHIA 1.6, they are heavy on fuel but the engine is very nippy at 115BHP.

I do about 15k miles a year, at the moment spending between E60 per week.

VW Jetta also do a 1.4 TSI engine, same class as a Focus, ie Medium size family saloon.

Hope this helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I had a Passat 1.6Fsi to test drive for a few days after the coils had been replaced, and I didn't find it too bad at all - either for pace or fuel economy (long runs).

Wouldn't think the Focus would be too much quicker, but it's been a while since I've driven a 1.6i Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Having owned both I would say the Passat every time. The Focus was more fun to drive but the VW feels leagues ahead in build and refinement.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cliffage

Thanks guys,
    Sounds like I'd probably be happy with either, though the Passat might edge it because of the extra space. Might look at the Avensis also.
    Will make a decision by monday hopefully - buying a second hand car is annoying, especially if you havent a clue about cars :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

R.O.R wrote: »
    I had a Passat 1.6Fsi to test drive for a few days after the coils had been replaced, and I didn't find it too bad at all - either for pace or fuel economy (long runs).

Wouldn't think the Focus would be too much quicker, but it's been a while since I've driven a 1.6i Focus.

I agree, I think that a lot of people just jump on the bandwagon when they claim that Passat 1.6 is underpowered. If everything is as functioning on the car as it should then the car should not be underpowered but if its not then people assume that its just the car.

Advertisement