Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP Training in Republic of Ireland

Options
  • 05-04-2013 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

could someone give a rough estimation of the number of applicants for the GP Training course bearing in mind that in the Cork area there is only 12 places. Any other general info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

dewdrop wrote: »
    could someone give a rough estimation of the number of applicants for the GP Training course bearing in mind that in the Cork area there is only 12 places. Any other general info would be appreciated.

All the general info is on the ICGP site, including number of places. Number of applicants per scheme is not included. If you google GP training etc. you will easily find the info on number of applicants/available places thru the years. It is not broken down into repeat applicants (as in, many apply successive years). Please advise if you have any specific questions after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Thanks Truman Burbank...I had searched as best i could the ICGP website but did not see the number of applicants mentioned...i saw the number of places alright. Could you kindly guide me to the relevant section or just mention number of applicants for Cork.

dewdrop wrote: »
    Thanks Truman Burbank...I had searched as best i could the ICGP website but did not see the number of applicants mentioned...i saw the number of places alright. Could you kindly guide me to the relevant section or just mention number of applicants for Cork.

Welcome! As above, number of applicants is not on ICGP site (that I have ever seen), thou it's widely reported externally. 2013 figures should be out soon. Numbers fluctuate widely (relatively speaking) per programme per year. For example, this year one programme had the lowest number of 1st preferences ever, whereas another had the most 1st preferences since inception (of rank system). I should have been more specific in my previous reply - I meant overall number of applicants/available places. You will have to contact The ICGP or the programme for Cork specifically. On that note, I don't believe that info is of any benefit........

2012 = 282 applicants
    2011 = 302
    2010 = 348 = 157 training places
    2009 = 360
    2008 = 356 = 120 training places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Get in touch with the programme director over the next few weeks. I believe they're often helpful with that kind of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Many thanks to all for prompt responses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Welcome! As above, number of applicants is not on ICGP site (that I have ever seen), thou it's widely reported externally. 2013 figures should be out soon. Numbers fluctuate widely (relatively speaking) per programme per year. For example, this year one programme had the lowest number of 1st preferences ever, whereas another had the most 1st preferences since inception (of rank system). I should have been more specific in my previous reply - I meant overall number of applicants/available places. You will have to contact The ICGP or the programme for Cork specifically. On that note, I don't believe that info is of any benefit........

2012 = 282 applicants
    2011 = 302
    2010 = 348 = 157 training places
    2009 = 360
    2008 = 356 = 120 training places

What happens to docs who don't get a place? Do they get preference the following year? Is it a straightforward selection process like percentile in your class or performance as an intern?

pc11 wrote: »
    What happens to docs who don't get a place? Do they get preference the following year? Is it a straightforward selection process like percentile in your class or performance as an intern?

- They apply for a different scheme (job) simultaneously or non-scheme job (or emigrate)
    - No
    - Those 2 criteria you give to do access career suitability in its entirety. The application/process/info is on the ICGP site as above

- They apply for a different scheme (job) simultaneously or non-scheme job (or emigrate)
    - No
    - Those 2 criteria you give to do access career suitability in its entirety. The application/process/info is on the ICGP site as above

Thanks Truman. There is a lot of info on the site but I don't see where it says exactly how the selection will be made, though I do see there is also an interview. So, what I am gleaning is this is a subjective process a bit like a job interview where they will consider exam scores, research done, publications, experience and so on, rather than the straight objective method used to enter GEM (GAMSAT score) or internship (class percentile). Is that right?

In practice, do many docs end up with no job at all?

Thanks Truman. There is a lot of info on the site but I don't see where it says exactly how the selection will be made, though I do see there is also an interview. So, what I am gleaning is this is a subjective process a bit like a job interview where they will consider exam scores, research done, publications, experience and so on, rather than the straight objective method used to enter GEM (GAMSAT score) or internship (class percentile). Is that right?

In practice, do many docs end up with no job at all?

Yes PC, it is a job interview, like any other. With initial shortlisting, like any other. You are correct. (1) Application (aka CV) (2) Interview. A note on repeat applicants - quite a few people apply once and never again, in that their back-up ends up working out better for them (i.e. they like it enough to stay with it, or think they like it more than they may have liked Plan A). There are, of course, those that reapply for several years. Trustworthy Tip: Always have a Plan B irrespective of what you apply for. And interested in wanting Plan B (while waiting on Plan A).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

The criteria used to score candidates is available on the ICGP website.

Speaking from personal experience, it's well worth a look in deciding what you should be doing if you miss out on a place!

• Advertisement

Yes PC, it is a job interview, like any other. With initial shortlisting, like any other. You are correct. (1) Application (aka CV) (2) Interview. A note on repeat applicants - quite a few people apply once and never again, in that their back-up ends up working out better for them (i.e. they like it enough to stay with it, or think they like it more than they may have liked Plan A). There are, of course, those that reapply for several years. Trustworthy Tip: Always have a Plan B irrespective of what you apply for. And interested in wanting Plan B (while waiting on Plan A).

I see. It's a job, but I was thinking of it like a course of study. Thank you.

I see. It's a job, but I was thinking of it like a course of study. Thank you.

Use of words interchangeable, as in 'scheme jobs'. Best of luck.

Advertisement